1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External spray work

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Michael W, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

A few pics from this week and a few jobs we have completed, although the weather is really not helping at the moment. Just very lucky we had 17 oak veneer internal doors in the workshop to keep us just about busy enough.

Attached Files:

PaintHQ, cpb, Buckers and 3 others like this.
  2. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

A few more.
    From white to Ral 7016 anthracite.
    Red to Ral 7042 traffic grey A.
    Black to 7042
    Dark stained doors to Purbeck stone in 5% gloss

Attached Files:

PaintHQ, cpb, Buckers and 2 others like this.
  3. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

Michael, fantastic set of pics again,
    with that amount of work you are pushing through how many guys have you got working with you. ?

Michael W, ahenrypd and Buckers like this.
  4. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Thank you @bitzz there are only two of us, we are working long hours at the moment to cram in what we can when the sun is shining, some days we break apart and I will go and do doors or lower level windows on my own. Getting them off on my own is quite manageable and my colleague will stay back at the unit working on the internal side of things to maximise productivity.

5. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Your obviously putting the hours in to get through the amount of work you are @Michael W and without letting standards slip.

Having never sprayed any upvc though I'm assuming by nature its quicker than working on timber doors?
    Wash and abrade then spray, none of the caulking, filling and sanding between coats and the drying that needs that has to be done with timber?

6. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Michael W @bitzz …. This lovely fella is fibbing to you Chris…it is him plus two
    Octopuses (octopii ?) on speed !!!
    Seriously Michael ,great work again. I really enjoy your reports with excellent pics :doff:

7. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Thanks @Buckers. Yes you are 100% right it is a much quicker process, we chemically clean with panel wipe and or thinners which have a quick evaporation time and only need to abrade with red scotch very lightly to create a key, too hard or too coarse of an abrasive just causes trouble and doesn't improve the adhesion at all. The odd bit of filling with polyester filler mainly on sills or the odd nick here and there and then 2 good coats of direct which is 2 part solvent PU that has an accelerated thinner so flashes off very quickly.
    The timber work we do for instance goes through a lot more rigorous process but because all the products we use dry so quick we can keep work flow moving well, the thing that slows us down is the flip to spray the other sides with kitchens as we don't hang them, we find if we have a couple in at a time and stagger the processes we can keep working productively.

Thanks @barry hahaha I could do with a couple of octopi on speed, with the unpredictable weather we are experiencing as per usual this summer, we are already over a month delayed. Let's all hope we get a decent period of dry, warm weather