1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farrow and Balls paste

Discussion in 'Wallcoverings - and related topics.' started by crj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Was hanging some F and B paper today, not hung the stuff for a while, and I'd forgotten how watery their flake paste is.

I've not used flake paste for years but don't ever remember mixing it as watery as they recommend it. Six litres ish of water to an average sized packet.

Ball's paper is slightly more on the heavy side than others so surprised really and with the mix being so watery I felt it made the paper more soft and prone to tear. Job went fine though so no complaints really, just an observation.

Also, always surprises as Balls aren't usually one to miss a money making trick yet they dont sell ready mixed paste. Saying that I just checked the price of the flake and it's 9 quid a sachet :hysterical: that's more like it Balls!

3 spires, Marylee, mistcoat and 4 others like this.
  2. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

I really can't see the point of packets when there are so many excellent ready mixes about that are more convenient to use. Am I missing something?

crj and bagshot like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Is the F&B paste starch like lap? Never used myself but customers have supplied ready mixed paste with paper and some is crazy money.

Talking of cost. I heard on podcast printer ink cost more than bulls seaxxx:spew:
    I can't get that out my head so thought I share so you can suffer too. :sarcastic:

Guess they can charge what they want like printer ink manufacturers

crj and ahenrypd like this.
  4. Dellboy

Dellboy PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Last F&B paper I hung, thankfully a good while ago, I tried their own paste, gave up after a couple of rolls and did the rest in ready mixed paste.

5. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

is that what makes F&B 's paste is sooo expensive?

RonyT and Wayners like this.
  6. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Sorry, I think it's the other stuff .... bull sh**.

barry likes this.
  7. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Did it come in a cylindrical canister with a fill level ?

I read the gumpf and poured half the measure in to get it going and then settled at 7/8th ish of the amount of water suggested.

Glad I did. If I’d of gone more it’d been too p1ssy IMO.

The paste was actually ok, shame the paper for an easy match, didn’t actually line/match up. Shocker!

mistcoat, crj and ahenrypd like this.
  8. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yeah the cylinder one. I used the whole seven tins of water as it said to and it really was pissy.

Yeah the paper didn't match up in a few places but that's fine as that's what the customer pays a premium for let's not forget.

This paper must have been particularly expensive as there was some white paint missing on part of it and a nice brown mark on another part of it. Unfortunately for the customer, I didn’t actually need these marked parts of the paper so the extra money she paid for these special farrow and balls imperfections ended up in the bin.

Samdex, mistcoat, barry and 3 others like this.
  9. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yup had a similar thing. You are instructed to unroll and discard the 1st foot of paper before even deciding on the ceiling line v pattern.
    By the time you've done that, you end up needing another roll as the waste has cost you a drop+ !
    Great money maker when you consider the roll metre length (minus the advised cut off and the pattern looking ok on the ceiling line) vs how many drops you get at 2.4m

Iain79, mistcoat, crj and 1 other person like this.
  10. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Great thread :+1_pps:

:hysterical: