1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Migration

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by mistcoat, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Dear members,

In order that this forum grows in a northerly direction we at PPS are in the throws of moving to a different forum software. This will mean a more user friendly format for you, which we are sure you will enjoy. The migration will also help us with running things behind the scenes as PPS starts to grow.

Nothing will be lost in the migration. Post counts and Thanks will remain the same, any PM messages you have will remain intact. Everything is backed up.

Over the coming months we may integrate some of the boards together, again nothing will be lost.
    If we can, we may try and throw in a couple of new mods too.

Many Thanks
    Tim, Aggie & n8r

2. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

hurrah change is good  :thumbsup:

3. cardwizzard

cardwizzard PPS Tradesman

Great stuff Tim, moving up in the world is PPS. A little advertising revenue might help you lads out a wee bit.

4. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

Dont fix what isnt broke but make good what needs making better, chris's yam yam philospholy No 7  :scratchhead:  :hysterical:

5. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

I think a lot depends on how 'it' grows. :scratchhead:

Is it to have silly advertisements or a DIY agony corner?  :dunno:

This is, (seen quite a few) one of the best forums out there, esp for just the dec side of the trade, there is a good knowledgeable base of contributors, ok we take wee wee now and again, but where does'nt? :yes:

Growth is a good thing, so long as it's growth because it's needed and not just because it can.

6. TradeDecoratingSupplies

ya adverts can ruin a site - even though its our sister company i have to say B&H's advert on totally diy really friggs me off, and its a crap advert to boot!!

dont think the lads are going in the direction of DIY ....they all happy over at TDIY ....leave em be

7. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

And just as I finally found my way around!! Thought the software was a bit basic when I first came but quite like it now.

But agree I think you need to keep one eye on the future. What software you thinking of boys?

8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Just to answer those questions you ask WD.
    I personally do not want PPS to have loads of Google Ads and banners flying about all over the place here. It distracts what the forum is about and how it is now.

The K. I. S. S. principle.
          e  t  i  t
          e    m  u
          p    p  p
                l    i
                e  d

The revenue created from small ads would be of use to help pay for future bandwidth and hosting if PPS continues to grow down the line.
    It would be small ads too and p'raps in a forum category of it's own.  :dunno:
    As I say, I wouldn't want ads thrust in my face either.

ATM, I don't fancy having a DIY Corner either. There are plenty of other forums out there for the DIY brigade which we can direct them too.

JMHO  :thumbsup:

9. Welsh Decorator

Misty, all in favour of the Keep It Simple Stupid route, perhaps, you might look at sponsor add's if need's be?

Perhaps the BIG paint guy's might be able to have a 'Tech corner'?  instead of those throw away paper newspaper things they waste money on, that just sit in merc's for eon's!

10. Geecee

Geecee PPS Time Served

Man got to eat! U know do what you got to do if you need ads I'm sure you guys will keep the integrity

Keep it up

11. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

im a bit worried about going north

how far north, is it past watford gap

what are they like up there, will I understand the accents

dont they live on deep fried mars bars and wear bay city roller tartan trousers

12. Welsh Decorator

:eek: Far to North that is! We are all reet fantacker here tha nos! OH! Bobbins!!! I'd better take further Sarff!  :hysterical:

13. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

with the adverts you could just have a simple banner at the bottom of the forum and maybe one at the top? you can have it rotating between different adverts such as google adds and if people want the websites or anything up there can pay a small monthly fee?

Also im guessing you guys are running on a forum system such as phpbb?

14. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

cor blimey welshie me old china , I ant got a scooby  wot your rabbitting about

15. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

It is just the software. We think things are going to grow, & it will help the likes of Tim, Nathan & myself keep on top of things when they do grow. One step at a time & nice & slowly, so we can all look back & reflect on what we are doing & hopefully get it right.

The set up of this place, was intended for the likes of the members here now - it will not be growing into a DIY forum or a teach-me-to-paint-online type of place - there are loads which do that already.

I would think adverts are a way off yet - if at all, but as Tim said earlier, if any revenue is generated, it will help pay for the running expenses. There is no remunerative gain doing what we do now.

The new software, will help me & my axe, when you lot get off topic {Rob & Sarah}or start posting in the wrong area {Chris Spence :lol:} PLUS, the new ban hammer is massive - it makes Co Co the Clown's mallet look like an auctioneer's gavel & you need arms like Arnold poosnigger to swing it :devilgrin:

16. Colour Republic

Does that i'm gonna have to change my tag under my avatar? :sad:

17. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

Of course not Rob - with the new software, I will be able to do it for you :devilgrin:

18. Colour Republic

19. TradeDecoratingSupplies

20. Colour Republic

Not this time I didn't Bertie  :tongue1: