1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front door!!

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by andyfloss, Nov 25, 2020.

1. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

20201008_092919.jpg 20201008_090804.jpg

Unfortunately it rained as took photo. That is water on door not dead flies or contaminants!!:biggrin: My regular customer wanted a presentable front entrance door. This, with garage doors to his business get painted every 2 years. This is my third time, not third try!!!

3 spires, kirk, Sprayandrun and 15 others like this.
  2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

That looks nice, @andyfloss :+1_pps:

What brand of paint, how many coats of finish and do you take it back a lot during the prep when it is time (every two years). Oh, and what colour? It's nice.

I like it!

3. Marylee

Marylee PPS Tradesman

Oooh! Lovely! :notworthy:

4. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Ooo nice ! You have skills.

Any Gras a Lacquer used there ?

5. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice job. Always good to go over your own work, that way there arent any nasty surprises waiting!

Tomcio, ahenrypd, RonyT and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rock ape

Rock ape PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Looks fantastic . Where is the number 10 ?

RonyT likes this.
  7. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I'll try not to make too much of an essay!!!
    First time i prepped this door 6 years ago was hard work!!
    Painted end of august ( as always) as door gets morning sun til midday. Bit of a nightmare as i have to be there working by 7.30, and i really am not a morning person.
    The door is regularly rinsed down by my customer as it a pavement width from a busy city road.
    Door always gets a very thin undercoat and wet abraded until product is completely removed. Any thinned undercoat left on surface highlights an imperfection and is made good with two pack filler and touched up. Carefully sanding touched in areas when dry. Has 1 full oil undercoat slightly eased. With a block, wet abraded again til brusmarks are removed without breaking the undercoat. Then has 1 thinned coat solvent high gloss to seal the undercoat. Block wet abraded again. 2nd coat solvent high gloss. Block wet abraded again then a mix of coloured gloss with with "craftmaster"varnish as colour gets slightly lost due to abrasion. Block wet abrade again. 1 full coat "craftmaster" varnish. Block wet abraded again!! 2nd coat "craftmaster" varnish. Now it's been around 10 weeks from painting and the odour has dissipated it will be time this week to finish the door with couple coats of "craftmaster" polish. Used staalmeester 2027 brushes. Johnstones paint . Between and prior to each coating door is wiped first with white spirit, when dispersed wiped with methylated spirit. When that has dispersed wiped over with tack cloth. Checked with cratmaster for compatibilty, they were very helpful. Have used yacht varnish in the past but came across "craftmaster" when looking for signwriters varnish. During works I install a clean tarpaulin over entrance until works completed and door is left open as long as possible. Frame is finished before final paint coat to door. Clean lint free clothing at all times and floor protector as even a clean dust sheet will through up fibres. Fortunately visitors can use a side entrance. I feel fortunate to have a customer who appreciates fair work and wanted one of, if not the best door in the city!!!

8. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Thank you for the great comments. My customer will really appreciate them, as i do. :thumbsup:

9. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Fantastic finish, not sure if I would have the patience to do that. But looks cracking !!

Sprayandrun likes this.
  10. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Hardly any distortion in the reflection Does take a bit of patience. First prep this time including removal of fittings, furniture moving, protective sheeting etc took 5 hours. Couldn't even undercoat it that day!!

RonyT likes this.
  11. mistcoat

Thanks for the job description, @andyfloss
    It's a shame most folks don't let us spend time on their on their front doors like this one of yours.

Out of curio, what is your preferred gloss?
    Heard good reports on PPS before on Miranol high gloss enamel from Tikkurila.

Sprayandrun likes this.
  12. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Ferridecs likes this.
  13. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

@RonyT
    No gras a laquer was used. Only have main trade suppliers here and deliveries were/ are bit of a 'mare!! Not used that particular product yet, but have been looking for a similar high build primer.

RonyT likes this.
  14. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

@mistcoat

I haven't a preferred gloss system although quite keen on benjamin moore advance and grand entrance. I like Johnstones aqua guard satin. Miranol has good reviews, but have not used myself. I chose craftmaster due to no colourant in varnish and has light reflectance of 98% at 65° I have been led to believe it is the same product as their coach enamel without pigment. In the past, coach painters wet the floors down and painted vehicles practically naked to reduce dust levels. My customer wasn't keen on that approach :hysterical:.
    -
    Front doors are the main opening to a persons personality. A lot can be made from that first impression. I talked to someone saying how long the door took to paint and reply received was. "Would have been quicker and cheaper to put a upvc one in" Show's a pure level of class!!

15. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Ferridecs likes this.
  16. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Great workmanship:doff:

Nice to see a customer who is happy to pay for such work:yes:

andyfloss likes this.
  17. lone furrow

lone furrow Angel of the East

I just checked mine and its a double pane :facepalm:

Tomcio, Buckers and RonyT like this.
  18. mistcoat

@andyfloss Aha, Craftmaster all the way through then. It blimmin works, that’s for sure!

Best stay clothed for the client :biggrin:

andyfloss likes this.
  19. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

Looked at mine when I stumbled through it this morning and it needs a serious repaint - does anyone know anyone who can do it. :facepalm:

Daf, Tomcio and Jason Gunter like this.
  20. 2coat

2coat PPS Apprentice

That is a real beaut :thumbup:

andyfloss likes this.