1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Kitchen Respray

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Daf, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

A lot of the cabinet doors and kick boards were blown, through water damage, when I priced this job up, I thought I had my work cut out, but, a good sanding, through the grits, I managed to flatten them all to near perfect finish, well chuffed with it.

Ceiling in white Tikkurila AR2 sprayed, walls rolled in white Tikkurila Optiva 5 and the feature wall in Tikkurila ( F&B colour) Pitch Blue 220.

All cabinets was primed in white, using Sayerlack AUO474 with the Sayerlack catalyst @2% of the volume of primer, I used a half mask, and had no taste or smell of the catalyst.

The primer dried quickly so I was able to put multiple coats on to build up, after each coat, I de-nibbled with 400 grit.

All cabinets were completely sprayed inside to, as per customers request.

Final top coats were the Farrow and Ball colour, London Stone 6, made up with Sayerlack AT990 30% ( Satinwood) and the Sayerlack cross link, @2%

Multiple coats sprayed and again, de-nibbed with 400 grit. The finish was super hard, yet really soft, like silk to the touch.

I used the Graco 9.5 with No4 needle, I found after spraying, with the paint still wet, Meths was great to get it off, each time I sprayed, because of the catalyst and the cross link, I used a new flex liner each time.

The door frames were stained wood, and after preparing them, I used Tikkurila white Miranol ( solvent )

359A0C6E-7AB7-4A94-9567-3FBC8C0996F6.jpeg B2647C2B-0A98-4E8A-94F2-1E53862194F4.jpeg

359A0C6E-7AB7-4A94-9567-3FBC8C0996F6.jpeg B2647C2B-0A98-4E8A-94F2-1E53862194F4.jpeg 4EBAE5E7-7A11-470B-9FE3-8DF1B0C525EF.jpeg FDB8C2BE-C107-4CB6-B7BD-420E48C2DBBB.jpeg CAE3BD09-135A-4324-8497-50723143446B.jpeg 8B13357B-11E6-42C2-997E-8B9DE5823DBC.jpeg

D995AD6D-5416-416E-96FA-76AAB096F289.jpeg

8708D401-2E00-47AA-8F1D-C65E79C91B8D.jpeg

0AFF68DB-46D7-4E9B-A779-DD8DA1E9DA3D.jpeg

2. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Beauty and well done.. Did you spray the AT 99 neat?

Daf likes this.
  3. cpb

cpb PPS Tradesman

:thumbsup::notworthy:

Daf likes this.
  4. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks amazing , well done

Daf likes this.
  5. Robjames92

Robjames92 PPS Tradesman

Fantastic work

Daf likes this.
  6. Daf

Hello fella, yes all Sayerlack paints were un thinned, only the “additives, catalyst and cross link) “ added ( 20ml) per 1 litre

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  7. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Cracking job, I'd be very proud of that work.:thumbsup:

Daf likes this.
  8. bobajob

bobajob PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Top drawer my friend,why hvlp and not airless is it because of it being 2pack?

Daf likes this.
  9. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Daf just been and looked at a kitchen today myself with some blown MDF door which also had a factory veneer I think which had obviously broken down on the edging which had allowed moisture in. But what was your process for repairing the blown MDF?

Daf likes this.
  10. Daf

I asked Lee at Movac, as I wanted to go the air assisted route, but he told me to use the hvlp, he did say why, but i can’t remember, I think I was, very very drunk at the time.

3 spires and jimmyc like this.
  11. Daf

Hello Gazza.
    I don’t know if the kitchen you just looked at is like the one I just did? a lot of the doors were like this, the rails were also bulging and blown at the bottom, and the kick boards were water damaged, I did actually priced it to drill out the bulge, and the use the repair care.

Once all the doors were off, I looked more carefully and noticed it was blown, but the fibres were expanded but not rotted away, or soft, so I got the Mirka and used 120 grit all the way to 400 grit, it took a while, as i didn’t want the primer to show a ring in the repair.

Perseverance on the 400 grit and it flattened great, so I ended up, doing all the blown doors this way, and I was very pleased with the end results.

Have you got repair care? If so, I would definitely go that route, if it’s badly damaged, as you can profile the door or edges and have plenty of time to do it, I was going to use the 16 hour repair care, just for the extra time in getting a perfect finish, and I’ve found it’s nice to sand as it’s not fast curing and has a good extended time, and the sanding will bring it to absolutely perfection.

I would definitely see ( if you get the job) sand first like I did, and hopefully, you won’t have to go the repair care routine. Don’t use 2 part filler, as the doors banging over time, may cause the filler to pop out.
    Best of luck

C212C786-818B-4F3F-B09D-D6111D716ECB.png

Tomcio, ahenrypd and Gazza like this.
  12. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Cheers mate, don't have repair care, but from what you have said, its not rotten and fine sand maybe a good option. What if anything would or did you use to treat or prime bare mdf fibres after sanding?

Daf likes this.
  13. Daf

Just sprayed Sayerlack AUO 474 it’s absolutely perfect for bare MDF, just sand it with 320/400 so it’s smooth to start, Sayerlack primer, and de nib, and spray again, you can get a edge, so smooth, you wouldn’t even know it’s MDF.

14. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Gold standard job that @Daf
    Some real skills on show for sure :thumbsup:

Daf likes this.
  15. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Spot on daf

Daf likes this.
  16. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

Lovely job that Daf, bet the client was over the moon with it. :thumbup:

Daf likes this.
  17. Daf

Yes they certainly were very happy, not happy enough for a tip though :sarcastic:

crj likes this.
  18. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

Nice one Daf. I’ll be pestering you in the near future for sound advice. As much as i love hand painting kitchens and i get asked specifically for hand painted, i will be looking into spraying them too once i convince people it’s the “ way to go” in my humble opinion. Top work there sir given what you were up against :thumbsup:

Gazza and Daf like this.
  19. Craig-B

Craig-B PPS Apprentice

Another cracking job:thumbsup:

Daf likes this.
  20. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Stunning finish @Daf. It looks absolutely superb mate top class work :notworthy:

Daf likes this.