1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of waste from jobs

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by CraigBrooksDecorating, Mar 12, 2016.

1. CraigBrooksDecorating

CraigBrooksDecorating PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

What do you do with your waste? Plastic sheets, tape, stripped wallpaper etc

I usually use the local tip. Only now I have been told I need to register as a waste carrier which costs 154 quid! Looking into it I don't see a way round it without risking fines?

2. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Tough one, but I usually state before the job starts that all waste will be tidied and bagged, then left for the customer to dispose of.

3. RoyF

RoyF Definitely time served.

I take bagged waste like wallpaper stripping to the tip in the wife's car and we have 2 tips in the area so I alternate between the two.

G-Dec likes this.
  4. one red wall

one red wall PPS Craftsman Bar Member

customers responsibility for me , unless its a full refurb then skips are factored into the price. saying that my last big one said stick it all in the garage and over the course of six weeks he got rid of it all in the back of his A5:shocked: saved himself £200

5. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I leave the rubbish but can be difficult when I'm ordering different paint for different jobs. I may order aload of paint and get it all delivered to one address I feel guilty leaving the boxes then as there not all for that job!?

6. CraigBrooksDecorating

Unfortunately the law is for the removal of waste, not in the disposal. So it doesn't matter what vehicle you are in, by removing the waste from the job you are breaking the law if you don't have a license.

Interestingly it is the responsibility of the homeowner to ensure correct disposal and as such means they should check you have a waste carriers licence before letting you take anything from their home.

Painter16 likes this.
  7. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I bag up and leave for customer,but of course tell them first,been cleaning me own garage out today took some tins with some paint left in to tip in the mrs car,like ya say if in me van have to get a licence , stick that pay enough in council tax as it is

siwel likes this.
  8. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Didn't know that,but let's be honest how many of you customers have ever ask you,I've never been ask and bet no one on here ever as, .

9. RoyF

Well I never knew that but i'll carry on regardless as it's better than chucking it in the bushes up the road like some licensed carriers round here do.

Painter16 likes this.
  10. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

My T&C's state:
    b) All areas will be left clean & tidy each day and on completion. Any waste/rubbish i.e. empty tins, wallpaper strippings etc., will be bagged up in black refuse sacks and left neatly for your disposal.

Puma and CraigBrooksDecorating like this.
  11. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

As woking for Someone as I currently do I just bag it up most of the time I negotiate with the cutomwr well befoee a job x

12. CraigBrooksDecorating

Think I'll go down the leaving it to the customer route and see how that works out. Always seemed more professional to me to take away the waste.

I usually take everything. Paint tins go for recycling at Brewers/Crown, but now Im not legally allowed to even do that.

What happens when I need to get rid of old kit?

This is supposed to stop fly tipping but I think too much red tape is going to increase it. Even if I get a license they said there is a minimum charge of 40 quid each time I go, so that would be 40 on each job, plus the licence fee

13. RoyF

It's bloody ridiculous to be honest and as you say it will increase fly tipping. It's another tax and another rule from Brussels I bet :headwall:

14. CraigBrooksDecorating

I wonder if it is or not. Though we have seen many improvements due to EU regs this one is a mistake.

It was easy for me to drop off at the tip, pay a small fee for the waste, with a reciept and leave again. Now its complicated I don't think I'll bother.

Hopefully customers dispose of correctly. I suspect most will end up putting in their wheely bin, so my previous method was better for the environment and still bought in money for the council

15. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

If you're taking empty or part empty paint tins away and they are going to be recycled then they are not waste so they can't fine you for that or ask that you have a license.

CraigBrooksDecorating likes this.
  16. CraigBrooksDecorating

Is this for certain? Or just assuming? Just making sure!

17. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

No that's what I would be prepared to stand up and argue in court:smile: But it might be worth digging deeper about recycling stuff - you're not handling waste it the stuff is going to be recycled. Grey area perhaps.

18. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Wallpaper stripping and off cuts go into green recycling bin at customers house, empty tins join them, half tins of colours get left with customer and old paints get recycled at local tip where local charity use, sell and recycle usable paints. Small businesses and 1 man bands should not have to pay for licences or waste disposal.

Peter Humphreys and YTS 83' like this.
  19. CraigBrooksDecorating

They have to fill out waste transfer notes at Brewers and Crown now, so assume that it is still waste tbh.

Which means you have to also fill out a waste transfer note to give to a customer.

All in all a pain in the arse!

20. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I leave all stripped and off cut bits of wallpaper in a bin bag for the customers to dispose of and and empty/ half empty tins of paint too