1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of waste from jobs

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by CraigBrooksDecorating, Mar 12, 2016.

1. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Think when I set up on my own I might look into the waste liecence. Will most probably pop round my parents as my lock up/workshop and get my dad to drop it off in the skips at his work. Illegal but ill have to take the risk pay enough council tax without having to pay for something I should be entitled to.

2. trev540

trev540 PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I transfer paper stripings and empty cans from my van to my car then to council tip. think up yours as I empty bags into council skips but as I pay enough in taxes etc so I think that covers that ok. have a waste carriers licence for my work vehicle, its free just go on line and register and in my private car I am a serious D.I. Y. person at the tip. I live half way between two council tips so do not turn up at the same one to often to cause a problem. Even got them to open the plasterboard skip which they keep locked the other day but that was from my own house as reneweing the kitchen ceiling. Saw that as a win so I must be sad.

3. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Think we're going bit over the top with this,none on here will fly tip,I leave any tins paint with customer,unless white or Maggie ,and any orthers I want to take to tip I just take in me car,no probs,never been asked to produce any licence and prob never will be

Bobbones and YTS 83' like this.
  4. one red wall

one red wall PPS Craftsman Bar Member

:goodpost:I concur.

5. Dellboy

Dellboy PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

At the end of every job, I clear away all rubbish, place in van and take down my local tip, simple.

6. CraigBrooksDecorating

CraigBrooksDecorating PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Thats what I have always done too, but got told Saturday I now need a licence

7. CraigBrooksDecorating

Waste carriers licence isn't free. Its £154 for 3 years. I went to apply Saturday after being told I just need to register and assumed it was free until I filled everything out and got told I have to pay

8. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I'm in no rust to get one but to be fair that price is next to nothing! Works out about 4quid per week

9. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

How much waste do ya get,that means you need to get a licence,very rare I need to go there for work rubbish.if it's odd occasion say 2-3 bags say stripped paper just leave it for customer to dispose off

barry and CraigBrooksDecorating like this.
  10. RoyF

RoyF Definitely time served.

at least if you have a waste carriers license you can always advertise on facebook for when your not busy ....shitshifters.co.uk

11. Iain79

Iain79 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

That price is for 3 years, then its about £100 to renew it.

CheshireDecorator likes this.
  12. CraigBrooksDecorating

They said minimum 40 quid each time you go to the tip as well mate

CheshireDecorator likes this.
  13. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Got pulled last year at the Boreham interchange ( Chelmsford) on a spot check for red fuel, and the environment agency was there checking to see what you was carrying in the back of your vans.
    Craig his spot on for what he has been saying .
    plus if caught up to£2000 fine.
    I am like the rest leave all my rubbish with the client.

14. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Once I have applied what is needed to a HO's surface. The rest is theirs. They need to get rid of surplus.
    Before all this crap came about, I was like @Dellboy I used to take away all rubbish (for free), including carpet and stuff. It gained me Brownie Points with the HO.

Nowadays, we can't help anyone out without being charged a Stealth Tax to do so!
    Stuff the Councils and stuff the Government!

15. CraigBrooksDecorating

Trouble is its not just pots of paint anymore with all the plastic surface protection etc etc. Make more rubbish these days than ever.

I guess it could go in their wheeky bin?

Just thinking not everyone can go to the tip. Tempted to get a licence. Will see how it goes without for a while

Painter16 likes this.
  16. Robbie uk

Robbie uk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

If the customer takes the bagged up waste to the tip or myself in my own private car, there is no difference. If they say anything I just say im decorating at home, I don't go in my whites and signed up van so they would never know. Thing is with local tips now, they don't want you to go with anything. !!!!! Bung it all in the black wheely bin !!!

mick partington likes this.
  17. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I bit the bullet last year and got a waste licence (£154). It's £54 for 250 kilos at my local tip which is more than a van full. So if you are getting rid of loads of rubbish it works out cheaper than a skip.
    But if the customer is happy to take the waste then that's fair play.
    Although for some of my customers it would not be so easy for them, plus there is always the extra paint tin lurking in the garage that I need to get rid of!

18. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

When we leave the EU we can use it to block the Chunnel ,
    I have a sign written van and they got very huffy when I took cardboard to the tip for recycling, it's cheaper to leave a slab of beers on the dustbin at Christmas .

19. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Sorry guys I really don't see what the problem is?

From day one I've always got rid of waste from jobs and I've always charged for doing so. Getting rid of trade waste has never been free, it's part of being in business. HO's are getting pros in because they haven't got the skill and often the time to undertake it themselves, part of that service for is not leaving them with waste they have to get rid of. Sometimes if I know a customer is on a tight budget then I just add a simple line under the waste removal charges that say along the lines of 'As a business we are charged to dispose of waste, however as a home owner you are legally entitled to dispose of waste at your local amenity center free of charge if you wished to do so'

It's all very well saying you pay enough in council tax but that charge covers the waste produced by your household, not your business. Your business produces waste simple. Getting rid of that waste costs. Would it be right that everybody should pay more council tax so that every local business can dispose of rubbish free of charge? Every business is charged for waste removal, not sure why decorators think they should be any different when they create waste by undertaking their job? Maybe because many of you have got away with it for so long. Often because some smaller local councils have turned a blind eye it, or like years ago the guys at the tip would take a bung for looking the other way. Now they've cracked down on it and rightly so IMO.

The only thing new is now needing to have pay for a waste removal licence to transport it (although the law has been in place since 1992). It's hardly expensive though and can be claimed against in your returns. I believe the licence was introduced to make it easier to stop and fine fly tippers, it's debatable if it does or not, but hey that's life.

Toolbox likes this.
  20. mick partington

mick partington PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

see back in the day you just burned all that paper in your back yard fair enough it kept the fire service busy but at least they were doing there own jobs not running about playing paramedics, when i think about what got buried in our back garden no driving to the tip we had no cars everything went on the fire and balls to the smoke, what do you think your local tip do with it thats right they burn it and charge you for ........recycling