1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glitter effect emulsion

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by Wayners, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Rock ape

Rock ape PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Thanks pal.

2. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

I've done a couple with added glitter. First one I only added glitter to the final coat and it was pretty meh!. Second room I put it in both coats of a pale grey colour and it gave it the look of stone with the sparkles in it - very effective. The trick is to mix the glitter in really well and keep mixing regularly as you use it otherwise the glitter tends to clump at the bottom.

Ferridecs and Wayners like this.
  3. greenpainting

... and the trouble is, now I have sussed it, people see it and want theirs done the same way. I have a feature wall do do with glitter tomorrow.

RonyT and mistcoat like this.
  4. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

What are you using i.e. emulsion & glitter brand?

Typical on the score of everyone now wanting it done :biggrin:

5. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

When I coated up I needed more glitter than I had. Also need to keep mixing as well. Looked at pad show so know now what it's all about. Think you can stick glitter in any emulsion and bin the brushes and sleeves after, or you will be seeing glitter on other jobs.:shocked: It's a nightmare product glistening away on kit so dispose of it all.

6. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

7. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Honest truth, I use to have gliter on my walls as a 6 year old in the 70's............ Trouble was, it was a totally different Glitter and in poster form,

Wouldn't recommend it nowadays though !

greenpainting likes this.
  8. greenpainting

The glitter is by Turner & Gray - not sure you'd call it a pro product but then again - is having glitter in your walls a pro idea?! The emulsion requested was a cheap and cheerful! So I'm going to put it on with Albany durable matt which I use quite a lot on tight budget jobs.

Frequent stirring is the key - it drops to the bottom so fast if you don't. Last job I did I used an old Blaze thinking I'd probably have to chuck it, but it actually cleaned out fine. Now I have probably jinxed myself and will knacker a decent brush with this job.

mistcoat and RonyT like this.
  9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

:thumbsup: Got you, thanks. I did see a good while back that Tikkurila do their own which is the Taika Stardust that Tomcio linked to in his post above. I wondered if you had tried that one?

10. greenpainting

No I haven't used that one - I noticed the other day, Valspar also do their own glitter in various colours. But the Turner & Gray is cheaper and as long as it does the job i can't see any point using a more expensive one that probably won't look any better. Then again - we all like to try different brands right?