1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green paint from Greenpaint!

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by greenpainting, Jan 18, 2021.

1. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

You woudn't know I used to be a photographer!! The problem is a camera struggles to focus on something thats all white. There are no brush marks to see though - only the slight wood texture on the flat.

What problems are you having with WB generally? A test like this is a bit of a cheat really because you start with new wood with a perfect surface and have control over the priming etc. You can also take time with it. But I didn't really need to try too hard with this - it levels really well without needing a lot of messing about.

2. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

With exception of BM and some Tik products, it would be the usual problem of virtually no open time so if you go back over yourself it ends up pulling and giving a ropey finish and drying before it had a chance to level itself. I almost gave up using the readily available WB finish coats because I was always deeply unhappy about the end finish. The 2nd coat would almost always be the worst as I found most WB products just didn't like going over themselves.

Totally get what you are saying about this test being a bit of a "cheat" because it's not in a real life situation, ie the bit of skirt is flat, but it would give you an instant idea if the product would be useable.

will and greenpainting like this.
  3. greenpainting

@RonyT I think I am in the fortunate position of not having been at this long enough to get hooked on the handling of oils. I've only been using W/B and not allowed myself the option of going with oil unless it's one of the plant based oils So I suppose I've just worked at getting the finish I want with the paints I use that are often fast drying. You do something frequently, you get better at it - right? Sometimes it just means changing the order you do things.

RonyT likes this.
  4. greenpainting

An addition to this product 'assesment'. I was doing the woodwork last week in a domestic. Previously painted in w/b but very badly so it took a lot of sanding back and I had to prime because of the bare wood I'd opened up. So I used the Greenpaint as top coat over Bedec p/u. The final result is pleasing - it's not a brilliant white but it looks good.

However, it runs and drips like a biatch if you let it. This is one of those paints that goes on great and behaves until you turn your back and then it will run where it can! I think that's something that requires adjustment in application but it is a bit of a pain. I think I will persist with it for now because I like the finish but the runs might be an issue.

will, ahenrypd, Marylee and 2 others like this.
  5. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

@greenpainting Sounds like it behaves a bit like the Sikkens Satura BL. I had that run a number of times from the quirks etc.

greenpainting likes this.
  6. greenpainting

Yes it's just like that. You can lookover it and it looks fine. Go back after a few minutes and it's got random drips.

Marylee and mistcoat like this.
  7. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

Just ordered 2.5 of white to blast a new build iam on. sounds promising. ill try it through the xvlp too. thanks for heads up

8. greenpainting

@ryu glad to hear that. Just be careful of runs in corners but I think you'll like the finish. Should be nice sprayed.

ryu likes this.
  9. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

i use pu satin alot, that has a liking to run when your not looking. did you ease it with water ?

10. greenpainting

I think I probably did but I'm not sure I needed to - probably less drip issues if you use it straight.

ryu likes this.
  11. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

just opened the pot and had a whiff and feel. defo got that oily alkyd feel to it. smells pleasent. looking forward to giving it a bash tomoz.

12. will

will PPS Tradesman

Going from oil to water based has been a huge learning curve for me to,damp cloth and good brush/roller are the only way i can get that "perfect" finish....will

13. greenpainting

@will I think the biggest discovery I made that improved my w/b finish is recognising the speed limit of the paint. Yes it is a thing. Some paints flow from the brush faster than others and once you have worked with a paint and got a feel for it you can adjust the speed you put it on and it really helps.

If it's not too much of a contradiction, water based needs to be brushed on slowly but applied quickly and methodically.

will likes this.
  14. will

will PPS Tradesman

"Brushed on slowly but applied quickly and methodically"..Bang on mate,it will be my new mantra...cheers ...will:thumbsup:

15. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

@greenpainting Running it on this new build, and iam very impressed with it. lovely finish, sands nice and dusty between coats. Was spraying through the 5000 today. Great results with that aswell.
    i spoke to the chap at Greenshop and apparently some other company was making it before but has now retired, i didnt ask who, but i will when i order again.

Thanks for the tip off on this , its a winner.

16. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

@greenpainting do you have an instagram profile? be good to follow you as we like the same kinda products...

17. greenpainting

@ryu thats really good to know - especially the spraying aspect. When I tried a soya based paint a few years ago it was sold under ' nursary paint company' and it felt very similar. I don't know who actually made it for them though but I bet it's the same guys. Either way, it's good to have something with real eco credentials that performs well in a professional environment.

I do have a couple of Insta accounts for other activities but not painting - maybe I need to set up a third! I do have a Facebook business page you can link with though if you want to. I need to get more stuff going through that - the thing with social media pages is you've got to keep them active. Anyway my page is https://www.facebook.com/decoratingnaturally

Indidentally, I have just done a quick test with the Greenpaints primer/undercoat. It's not true eco because it has acrylic in itbut I've yet to find a primer that has no petro-chemicals in. So I plonked a coat on a bit of bare wood trim about three hours ago. Covered brilliantly, nice and thick and very opaque. Just had a go at lifting the edge with a nail and couldn't. That's pretty impressive. And it's less than 11 quid for a litre.

ryu and Marylee like this.
  18. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

just liked your page.
    interested in how the P/U undercoat preforms, be another winner if it sands down nice. The chap in the shop was bigging up the emulsion from the range aswell. be intersted in having a whirl on that too.

19. greenpainting

I've got a tiny sample pot of their emulsion so I need to stick it on a wall somewhere and see how it comes out. The only downside is the very limited colour choices.