1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

had to paint the other day

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by kirk, Jun 16, 2011.

1. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I competed in the CITB skillbuild competition on tuesday.
    they made me paint this

[​IMG]

what you guys think?

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

What do we think? I for one think that is cool, Kirk... Get in!!!!  :thumbup:

Are you happy with it?  :yes:
    Were the judges happy?  :yes:

Made me laugh you saying - "They made me paint this" like you were held at gunpoint  :lol:

3. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

nicely done Kirk :thumbsup:

4. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

Fairplay kirk, as long as your happy with it in your heart then its a winner, i think its good, did you have to do it in a set time, speed test or was it at your own pace ?

5. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

You, young man will be going far {but not with the bus service in Milton Keynes}

Looks great Kirk, thanks for sharing with us.

Now then, I would love to hear about the process you went through to achieve the result. I assume they gave you a brief/specification?

Did you mark it all out directly onto the board, or draw out the design first, or perhaps the design was already done & you just had to transfer it & paint. They seem to be testing your brush skills - did you use/were allowed tape? what paints were you using, water or oil based? & what brushes did you use as well? Be very interested in how you went about it so please explain. :thumbup:

6. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

I'm with Aggie on this one, we really need more info, was it a 'WTF' moment when told you would be doing ..... or more a 'Bring it on!'

Kirk, what ever you do, or find your self doing, now or later in life, the best piece of advise I would offer, is to never accept 'Near enough.....Is good enough'.

You seem to have a passion for the job, keep stretching your self, don't take second best. :thumbup:

7. kirk

Well im kind of happy with it as I won the competition  :yay:

But to aggie and welsh decorator.
    They gave us a piece of A4 paper this the drawing on and the measurements to be drawn to scale.
    Used a Oversized drawing compass basically for the circles etc and a tape measure and straight edge to mark everything else out. I drew all this in pencil (some apprentices seemed to prefer chalk  :scratchhead:)

The paint was crown waterbased vinyl mat (was sponsored by crown) 

The plasterboard was painted with the gray before I started so i had to paint the cream, red and blue also the bottom white part is actually textured wallpaper.

Also we had 6 hours to do it in start from finish.

8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Congrats on winning, Kirk.
    Take one  :bowing2:

9. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

well done on winning kirk  :thumbsup:

10. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

congratulations Kirk!!!!

11. josephandson

josephandson PPS Time Served

That is some impressive painting man. Would not fancy that one. Fair play for winning. Did anyone have a complete nightmare or was the standard high? Any prizes for that work of art? Did you get to keep it, I would love to hang somthing like that in the office if it was me, is that a bit sad.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

12. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice brush work Kirk :yay:

13. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

Well done indeed Kirk, lets hope it will be the first of many, so start keeping a record of your achievements :thumbup:

14. cardwizzard

cardwizzard PPS Tradesman

Always nice to win. Looks very good. congrats. :yay:

15. lee decor

lee decor PPS Tradesman

Kirk at first glance with out reading I thought it was printed so well done & congrats for being no: 1  :notworthy:

16. kirk

thats gotta be the best thing i heard  :yay:

cheers for the congrats everyone just got to wait and see if i had high enough marks to get entered into the nationals competition next

17. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

well done for winning Kirk  :yay: :yay: :yay:

are you in mk Kirk

18. kirk

nope im with carillion  :whistle:

19. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

Well done Kirk, the future master painting fraternity is in good hands.  :thumbup:

20. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

looks pretty good to me young kirkster  :notworthy: