1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hall/stairs/landing - Aura Matte.

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by mistcoat, Sep 18, 2017.

1. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Recently finished this hall/stairs/landing.
    Before I carry on, I would just like to say I only worked on the ceiling, walls and the apron. The woodstain on the woodwork was NOT done by me and the client was happy with their own work on it.

This is really just to show how good the opacity is in the Benjamin Moore Aura range.

Wall colour: Natural Wicker 950.

All ceilings and walls were sanded with the Mirka Ceros and Festool RTS for the tight areas and corners.
    The ceiling, when rubbed, started to flake. So a coat of Zinsser Peel Stop was applied. When dry, two coats of BM's ceiling paint was applied.

The walls were in need of a major sanding, so that is what they got. Then a good skim fill with Dunlop's Ultra Fine Wall Smoother from MyPaintbrush. I do like this filler now, a lot!
    As you can also see, the walls were brighter than the sun and needed a wall paint with good opacity.
    If a blind person had lived there, they could have felt a lot of words in braille as there were so many snots on the wall.

pps 1.jpg pps 2.jpg

After the Dunlop wall smoother was rubbed and dusted down with the Wooster Dust Eater a couple of times, it was time to apply the first coat of Aura Matte. It is great that this is a primer and finish paint in one. Sorts the filler out so there is no flashing at all.

I did wonder if my luck would be that it needed three coats, as I hadn't used Aura on walls up to this point. First coat went on and I knew it would only be a two coater, as BM mentions for the Aura range.
    I did knock some money off the end price as I didn't need the 3rd coat. The client was happy with that!

pps 3.jpg

As you can see above, the dado was masked up as it was finished in Advance Satin - a lovely drop of paint that one!!!
    The Prodec masking tape came off nicely and left a crisp line all around. Sorry, forgot to photo it.

This pic below is the same area as above but with the full two coats. It came up a treat.

pps 4.jpg

As I mentioned, I never touched the woodstain finish, so please don't think any paint smothering it is mine, it isn't!
    Last couple of snaps for you.

pps 5-1.png pps 6.jpg

stevy, Bronco, colosus and 20 others like this.
  2. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Great demonstration on Aura and the Dunlop filler Mistcoat, just out of interest I have heard that the prodec tape is less sticky now, when I used it I had major issues with paint being pulled off, how did you find it and would you recommend?

mistcoat likes this.
  3. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

Looks good mate :thumbsup:, not sure I like that dado rail though:huh:

mistcoat likes this.
  4. mistcoat

@3 spires Thank you kind sir.
    I recall it being a lot higher tack than it is now. Over the Advance satin and a next day pull off, it was great.
    Over the existing woodstain though, I had a few areas where it pulled the wall paint away. My fault probably as again, it was a next day pull off because I wanted to get home the night before.

I'd use the Prodec Advance again that's for sure.

Up and down at the top of the stairs? It's following that first tread.

3 spires likes this.
  5. Fellowbrush

Fellowbrush PPS Master Craftsman

Looks like a nice smooth, solid flawless finish !!!

mistcoat likes this.
  6. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

I don't like it, tell them to lose it :handbat:

:biggrin:

greenbank and barry like this.
  7. White Spirit

White Spirit PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks good @mistcoat. Just clicked on the link for the Dunlop wall smoother. It says you do not need to sand it, and can be sponged off. If this is the case it's a massive time saver. I'm still on easi fill, so just wondering how it compares?

mistcoat likes this.
  8. mistcoat

Thank you kind sir. I'm getting better at this photo editing stuff.
    It really is a darn sight better than what it was. I shouldn't say that, in case they see it, but they both said I'd taken more time and care than they would have, so happy days.

Only if you can tell them they'd have to pay for the well wall and the hall walls to be done again :winky:

TBH, I'd rather just sand it. I reckon you could move on to the next stage (painting) quicker if you sand than sponging off.
    Would be worth giving it a trial run, but can't see it myself, can you?

I find the Dunlop and even my ex-fave (Toupret skim coat) doesn't suck up the paint like Easi fill does and easi fill causes a bit of flashing too, imo.

9. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

@mistcoat I must have got a duff box of wall smoother, I really didn't like it, felt gritty and wouldn't smooth off properly. I really wanted to like it for local pick up convenience too!

EddieKavanagh likes this.
  10. mistcoat

I hated my first run out with it a while back. Felt the same as you, but what I found was, really do give it a good waz up and let it sit for a few minutes. Then take it to the wall.
    It's a different animal to the Toupret. With Toupret, you can mix it with a feather and it will mix smooth.

But I will still boycott Toupret for the P&D show '16 shysters on the stand and how they behaved towards me and thee.
    I can't wait for the P&D show '17. Gonna try and get so much free stuff from them and give it away here.

3 spires likes this.
  11. White Spirit

White Spirit PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I suppose not, especially with dustless sanding. I'll give it a bash.

12. mistcoat

If you do decide to smooth off with a sponge, let me know how you got on :yes:

13. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

love toupret tx 110 filler, but had 2 rogue box's over the years and never got a reply from toupret.
    Handy point about aura priming the filler although only really find it a problem with ready mixed filler toupret is normally fine i think.

14. Designanddecor

I have a feeling that the P&D show might be quite amusing this year @mistcoat !! I have been using prestonett joint filler, which I really like, but hard to get hold of. Dec store are out of stock and @decoratingdirect don't stock it (that's a hint!!)?

decoratingdirect and mistcoat like this.
  15. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@mistcoat ... can you fill us in , who missed the tale? Maybe bad enough for us to drop an open box on their stand? ( joking 0f course) :handbat:

16. mistcoat

I think I posted it up on the 2016 P&D show thread, @barry

Designanddecor likes this.
  17. decoratingdirect

decoratingdirect PPS Tradesman PPS Sponsor

Hint taken... what happened at the P&D show?

Designanddecor likes this.
  18. Designanddecor

Long story short, Tim and I went to the toupret stand and were basically ignored even though there was no other punters there. They just stood there talking amongst themselves, it was bloody rude.

19. decoratingdirect

decoratingdirect PPS Tradesman PPS Sponsor

That's not very professional, but I've seen it happen plenty of times.

I've stood on the stand of a lot of trade shows in the past. I've tended to find them generally poor, with a poor return on investment.

Very occasionally there has been a good one, with lots of punters, lots of interest, and some good leads. Sales people from different companies would get together at the end, and talk privately, about how good, or how poor such and such a show was.

mistcoat likes this.
  20. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I and think it was pete who got a boat load of stuff off them ,me thinks you looked like right pair dodgy characters when you turned up

YTS 83' and mistcoat like this.