1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hall/Stairs/Landing - Eden Village

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by mistcoat, Dec 9, 2019.

1. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I had to give Tikkurila Anti Reflex 2, Optiva 5 and Intact 8 a run out some time and, this house was a good time to try.
    If it went wrong, the home owner is a monster of a size and his handshake would put you out of action on the brush for a week :biggrin:
    So it had to go well.

Just a few photos as those who know, know the standard prep we all do on here :winky:

In a few places, the homeowner had a mate around to do some filling for him. I'll let you tell me whether it is ok or not.

when the homeowner fills.JPG

I had to go around and rake out a lot of decorators caulk that had been applied over the finished paint. To be fair, I feel this was done to hide any cracks during the settlement stage of the building and was done by the previous owner.

raking out the old knackered caulk.JPG caulk all raked out_thank goodness for packexe floor protection.JPG

The loft hatch was a uPVC of some sort. I don't know the correct name for these types. Anyway, I didn't clean it down apart from a dust off. Then straight on with #Tikkurila Intact Primer. There was no separation or anything so obviously no contamination with any cleaners or such. Left it about two hours I think and tried a fingernail scratch - it was bonded on there for sure.
    No final photo but the Intact 8 took to the primer and no issues.

intact primer adhered well to this upvc loft hatch.JPG

Just so you know - The doors were not painted as they are being renewed in the not too distant future.
    Woodwork had a good mechanical prep with the RTS40 EQ and @Mirka UK (Ltd) #Abranet

All areas that needed caulking up were caulked using Isomat #Isomastic A acrylic sealant from @MegMPB
    Have to say, no issues with it at all.

Tikkurila Intact Primer on all woodwork, then filled using the 3M acryl putty in red. Light abrade and touch in 3M putty with Intact Primer and followed by two full coats of Intact 8.
    Lovely paint to apply and as someone here mentioned, feels absolutely smooth as.

Bit of an issue,,, after a spot in over the 3M putty and the two full coats of Intact 8 I could still see the red bleeding through :smash:
    In some areas a touch up was needed and it touched in well on the architraves. But other areas on the broad sections of frames needed yet another touch up. So not too impressed over that.
    Next time I might fill first and then touch in etc. etc.

Ceiling is in Anti Relex 2 - white. It is white.
    Walls are finished in Optiva 5 durable matt and the colour is Manor House Gray No.265
    I liked the Optiva 5 and would use it again for sure. But it is no Regal Select or Aura.

wall colour_manor house gray_265_farrowandball_in optiva 5.jpg walls optiva 5_durable matt_manor house gray_woodwork tikkurila intact 8_white.jpg nice straight linesbetween woodwork and wall colour thanks to fossa blue masking tape.jpg white woodwork by tikkurila_intact 8 white_manor house gray in optiva 5 durable matt emulsion.JPG

@Packexe was used for the floor protection. Do you know? I am Packexe now on all jobs like this.
    I ran out and was awaiting a new roll for the carpet. I had a part roll of Toolstation carpet protector and using it made me realise how inferior and how awkward it was to use compared to the Packexe carpet protector.

The masking tape of choice for the woodwork on this job was @decoratingdirect 's #fossa TrueMask 86. My oh my!!! :jiggin:

For the craic... I applied some Intact 8 to some silicone around the front door frame (it was coming out anyway).
    Next day when I looked it was just flaking off like mad. So yes, as others have stated. There is no "give" in this paint whatsoever. So be very careful what you use it on folks. It does have a place out there for us, but not on anything flexible.
    I didn't use it on the kitchen after this h/s/l. I went back to trusty old @BenjaminMooreUK Aura :yes:

2. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

Looks sharp mate . Really good

mistcoat likes this.
  3. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Crisp mate ,nice to see a pukka job being done .:thumbup:

mistcoat likes this.
  4. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Another scruffy job made right. :thumbsup:

Just stick to @BenjaminMooreUK paint for all woodwork and save the hassle mate! Best opacity of all waterbased imo.

mistcoat likes this.
  5. mistcoat

Thank you chaps :doff:
    @Buckers Yes, you’re right sir. Though I did need to do an extra touch up over the 3M putty with the Aura too. So, it’s a rub, dust, 3M fill before any painting in future. Any missed dings will get a fine surface fill instead.

Soon be Christmas :winky:

Bobbones likes this.
  6. keef

keef keef Bar Member

well what can i say
    looks very proffessional Tim well done you g sir

mistcoat likes this.
  7. mistcoat

Thank you kind sir.
    I'm up to page five of the manual now :biggrin: :friends:

Waynetta and keef like this.
  8. shaned

shaned PPS Tradesman

What’s the 3m putty like? Whats the depth limit? Drying time?
    Been meaning to get some, where did you get yours?

9. mistcoat

3M Acryl Spot Putty.
    The red is best for slightly deeper fills :thumbup:

Bobbones likes this.
  10. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks real nice:doff:mate

this putty is new on me...only just getting used to caulk..

barry and mistcoat like this.
  11. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Lovely job

mistcoat likes this.
  12. mistcoat

Hahaha! At least you are not using "chaulk" like some of our friends here use :sarcastic:
    … and thank you.

Cheers to you too @Painter16 :thumbup:

13. orbitalforest

orbitalforest PPS Tradesman

Lovely sharp lines there bud , good job :thumbsup:

mistcoat likes this.
  14. mistcoat

Thank you sir!
    Sharp is Harp, to the bottom of the glass.
    Wrong way around but if you’re old enough, you’ll know where I’m coming from :biggrin:

Much appreciated :doff:

Bobbones likes this.
  15. orbitalforest

orbitalforest PPS Tradesman

Definitely old enough to remember that unfortunately bud :cry:

mistcoat likes this.
  16. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Really nice work mate:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mistcoat likes this.
  17. mistcoat