1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone out there tried flocculating???

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by Hang it all, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Hang it all

Hang it all PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Basically, separating the paint solids out of the waste water from washing out brushes and rollers...

I've just been messing around having a go.

It took a while to get the right amount of additive but results were outstanding.

Not sure how to post videos on here, but this is a photo of the initial reaction

IMG_8113.jpeg

And after a few minutes:

IMG_8117.jpeg

—-
    So the water can go down the sink/into the watercourse without causing problems. The residue gets filtered off and left to harden, at which point it is no longer hazardous waste and can go in bin, skip whatever...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2021
  2. Hang it all

Can do it on a massive scale with one of these

but probably just as easy in a bucket to be honest

3. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

4. Hang it all

Wayners likes this.
  5. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

What a great idea for us!
    I saw a kids programme with Mark Rober (awesome guy) where he used similar stuff to clean pond water so it could be drinkable.
    Not sure if it's the same product. The powder that can turn sludge into clean drinking water | The Kid Should See This

Hadn't even occurred to me to used it for our industry until you posted this. I'm all over this as I have a ton of uses for it especially when having to empty out the slops buckets after spraying for a week !
    Good find :thumbsup:

Tomcio, Buckers and Hang it all like this.
  6. Hang it all

I think you can just use aluminium sulphate from a garden centre, and then add powdered lime after stirring.

Probably cheaper, but still a bit of trial and error to get the quantities to work

This is how much solid waste i got from a wheelie bin full of water
    IMG_8120.jpeg
    It's satisfying knowing it hasn't gone down the drain, but I've got to be honest, it is quite a faff on a big scale, so you would have to really be motivated about environmental stuff to do it regularly

7. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Can't see your foot in the pic. It don't count and we can't compare volume without it.

:biggrin:

Tomcio and Hang it all like this.
  8. Hang it all

Sorry!! I need to go to the @Wayners school of information sharing.....

That's a 10l tub, a little under 1/3 full. I used 200g of solutex powder, and that lot weighs 2.5kg including tub

mistcoat, Tomcio, RonyT and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Hi @Hang it all. May I ask how much is that Flock powder?
    I tried to find something like it locally in Ireland but no luck.
    I would love to change my habit of washing tools in the sink.
    For now I'm looking for Aluminium Sulfate as it seems cheap and good.

ahenrypd likes this.
  10. Hang it all

£46.20 for 2kg inc vat & delivery. I used 200g to do a wheelie bin full, 160 litres, so it would last you a while I reckon

ahenrypd, mistcoat and Tomcio like this.
  11. Hang it all

aluminium sulphate and hydrated lime as in that video good enough, and cheaper.

If I understand it right, you get better flocks doing the two additives separately, so it might even be a better option

Tomcio likes this.
  12. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

Ideally we want to be using paints that dont contain anything that's harmful. I'm about to test some that is partly natural and part synthetic but all elements are broken down into component parts when put into water. Certainly more appealing than trying to separate the solids.

RonyT, Tomcio and Hang it all like this.