1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I ended up in the cellar

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by TooledUp, Feb 3, 2010.

1. TooledUp

TooledUp PPS Master Craftsman

I started a cellar/basement reinstatement this week.  It's used as a document storage facility for a lawyer's office.  It was flooded with 6 feet of water in less than half an hour when we had some freak flash-flooding last summer.

It's nothing exciting but thought I'd post up a few pics.

My job is to tape the walls, around 240 square metres (about 2,583 sq ft) and then it's getting a couple of coats on the ceilings and walls (all one colour).  The only woodwork will be skirting (base) boards and two doors.  The windows are all new and pre-finished.

I'll probably spray paint it all apart from the woodwork.  The ceilings are pretty dodgy plaster and I think the old paint would probably wrap around the roller if I tried to roll them. 

I started taping it today and will probably have the taping finished either Friday or some time Saturday. 

I'll post up progress pics as they come  :thumbup:

2. TooledUp

There's about eight rooms all in-all, including the hallway...

3. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

:8)
    Did you do the boarding out, TU?
    I haven't used my airless for sometime now, I'd like to get hold of a job like that right now.
    Good Man  :thumbsup:

Obviously you have already priced this job up, but would it be worth you spraying some Zin Peelstop on the lids prior to spraying the lids with emul. To prevent failure of the finish coating?

4. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

That will keep you busy chap. Do you use the ready mixed Gyproc cement for your taping? What about the external corners, do you use thin coat bead or the corner tape?
    I have a conservatory to do. I shall prob dot & dab the boards on external walls, within the conservatory, then tape it, although..........I have been asked to plaster it, which is ok, but the rest of the house is new & has been taped, so want to keep continuity.

5. TooledUp

I've got the taping machine kit but I only use the bazooka for internal angles nowdays.  I use the mesh tape for the main joints and skim them over with 90 minute joint filler then finish them with one coat of joint cement.  If you use the paper tape for the main joints then you're looking at longer drying times and three coats.  If you use the mesh tape, don't first coat with regular joint cement - It must be the fast set/90 minute stuff otherwise it will crack.

I use metal edged tape for corners and they have to be bedded on and skimmed over with the 90 minute too, then a finish coat of joint cement - You can get the 30 minute or 60 minute stuff for smaller jobs depending on how long working time you want with the stuff.  If you stick your mesh tapes on then cut your external angles ready to go on then the 30 minute would do for a small job.

Use paper tape for your internal angles and not mesh.  Again, for a small job, just tear the length of tape for each angle and fold it along the crease ready to go on before you apply the mud (filler).  An easy way to apply them is to get an old 4" brush and dip that into the joint cement (not fast setting stuff) and brush it on fairly heavy.  Bed the tape into it and knife it out, coating it with a thin coat over the top of the tape as you go.  When it's dry, give it a gentle sand to get any nibs off and then give the internals a second coat.

I tend to use the bagged joint cement Aggie but it's hard work knocking all the lumps out if you haven't got an electric mixer so get the ready mixed if you don't  :thumbsup:

6. Aggie

Thanks very much for that useful information, I will be acting on that & understood exactly what you are talking about.
    the other thing, I prefer most of the time to use plastering trowel for this sort of work, rather than caulkers or flat bladed 'knives' although I can use & have both. I do own an electric whisk, so will be putting that to good use. :thumbsup: :ThumbsUp 1:

7. TooledUp

I use a hawk and trowell too Aggie.  None of that American pansy flat knife stuff  :biggrin:

I find the bagged stuff works out a lot cheaper if you've got a mixer Aggie.  I love that joint cement for flushing off older plastered walls to even out dips and bumps etc.  It leaves a great finish  :thumbsup:

8. TooledUp

Oh btw, you don't need to use the mixer for the fast set.  It mixes easy with a stick.

9. Aggie

OK, thanks for that.
    The fast set, are you describing the yellow bag? -  the same as ready mixed, but in powder/setting form? The ready mixed is air dry.
    Or is it the good old Gyproc joint filler {orange bag}. I found the easy fill 45min set.  :scratchhead: Do you know what, if I don't get a satisfactory answer, I am gonna use me Artex :devilgrin:

10. TooledUp

The yellow bag is joint cement and I can't remember the colour of the Gyproc fast set lol.  I use the lafarge fast set which is a deep red.  I'm not sure that the easyfill is suitable for mesh or external corner tapes so I would go with the 90 minute joint filler.  Gyproc call it joint filler as opposed to cement, which is the finish and for putting on the internal tapes.  It comes in 12.5 kg bags Aggie and the cement is 22 kg bags.  You could use paper tapes for the main joints too if you wanted and stick them on with the joint cement but it means longer drying times and more coats.

11. Aggie

Thanks Pete, I'll look out for the Lafarge. I will be using the mesh self stick tape, it is much better in my opinion, besides, I have a few surplus rolls to use up. I think if I can't get the Lafarge, I will use the joint filler as you suggested. Very grateful for your advice. :thumbsup: