1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introductions

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by jimmy_123, Jan 3, 2013.

1. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Is there a way to lock all forums to all new posters apart from the welcome lounge until they've made an intro?

Might save having to keep reminding people when they first post.

good idea or no?

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

'Tis an option the forum has, Jimmy. But we have not implemented it since we swapped over from SMF to MyBB. We did have it then.

If it keeps happening, we could bring it in, but most everyone makes an intro. We just like nagging :biggrin:

3. mistcoat

'Tis an option the forum has, Jimmy. But we have not implemented it since we swapped over from SMF to MyBB. We did have it then.

If it keeps happening, we could bring it in, but most everyone makes an intro. We just like nagging :biggrin:

:thumbsup:

4. wall2wall

wall2wall PPS Master Craftsman

Very hard for newcomers ( both those who seek and those who could share information ) to get a feel for the amount of good informed opinions held in the forum threads and archives Jimmy if they were limited to the welcome lounge.

5. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Yea I agree wall2walll I was really getting at posting rather than reading

My suggestion would be that everything could be read as it is now but posting replys or new threads would be only avaliable after an intro.

6. mistcoat

Right now, we just rely on the PM's that the new registering members are sent, that encourages them to make an introduction as their first post before asking questions or other stuff.

The great majority of those new members who do decide to join in, do make an intro post before posting elsewhere and I'm positive that is how they would behave in the real world. Hence them doing it here without any fuss. They realise it is the right thing to do.
    We say "hello, my name is ****, pleased to meet you." in the physical world. I wonder why folks feel they should not have to do this in the virtual world. It is the pleasant thing to do.

From what can be seen,,, (not all) but some who don't introduce,,, may have an incy wincy bit to hide or, have an hidden agenda :winky:

7. wall2wall

wall2wall PPS Master Craftsman

@ Jimmy 123,

Got you now.