1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnstones Aqua Guard

Discussion in 'The Review Centre - reviews of tools & products.' started by Tomdec, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Tomdec

Tomdec Veni, Vidi, Vici. Bar Member

Finally got round to giving this a go and have to say I'm impressed. Needs a drop of extender but then flows off the brush a treat. Decent opacity, no brush marks and leaves a lovely lustrous finish reminiscent of oil based eggshell. Best off the shelf Satin I've used and will definitely use again.

Robjames92, PaintHQ, mistcoat and 6 others like this.
  2. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

very simular to caparol pu satin i found. very very good product

PaintHQ, Tomdec and CheshireDecorator like this.
  3. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Yea I find it fantastic, must admit I got use to other satins and did find I was putting it on to thick but once you get use to it the finish is great :thumbsup:

RonyT, Gary scott and Tomdec like this.
  4. Rock ape

Rock ape PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Is this product water only based or hybrid with alkyd? Thanks

5. Charles007

Charles007 PPS Time Served

Waterbased only. However the old aqua satin is a hybrid along with the gloss and. U/C

6. Rock ape

Rock ape PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Have you pitched against everal aqua ? This what I'm happy with at present but always looking for value for money improvement. Thanks tony

7. Tomdec

Tomdec Veni, Vidi, Vici. Bar Member

Yeah, I had the same experience. Applied it as I would using Andura, and it ran like billy-o. Worth persevering with as the end result is top notch.

RonyT, Wayners and CheshireDecorator like this.
  8. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

Only stuff to use if you need something off the shelf that day. Loves to run if you don't go careful with it but ita tough as anything once it's cured. Went back to a house I used this in about a year ago and I swear it's gone a bit yellow? Probably just my imagination or just dirt but anyone else noticed this? I know PU can yellow in certain conditions and I believe this is a acrylic pu same as caparol, never seen any yellowing of that though even on radiators where it says not to use it or it may yellow