1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last external of 2019

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Jason Gunter, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Recently completed this old barn conversion which was in a chit state.
    The internal walls in the entrance hall by the front door have blown since the existing owners moved no matter what their other decorators tried to stop/slow it down ,so when I was there last December I applied peel stop followed by a couple of coats of optiva 5 so it was fully breathable internally ,I also applied a masonry crime to the buttress wall,on my return for the external the HO was so eager to show me that the walls were had I left them with no signs of blowing
    Externally after the prep which was wash down,chasing out cracks ,removing the coin beads in places due to being rusted to where it was falling apart etc etc, i stabilised the walls with hydrosol primer followed by two coats of Finngard silicate protect.
    Another happy customer

Attached Files:

Bobbones, mistcoat, stevy and 9 others like this.
  2. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks lovely @Jason Gunter, and you had the nice weather too! Good job done :thumbsup:

Jason Gunter likes this.
  3. Jason Gunter

Thanks Daf

Must admit that we have been extremely lucky with the weather this year,I just hope it will continue when the weather breaks for the spring next year.
    I’ve already got 2 more externals then I would wish to undertake

Daf likes this.
  4. Jason Gunter

Thought I had some more of the front finished

Attached Files:

mistcoat and Daf like this.
  5. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

Nice :thumbsup:

Jason Gunter likes this.
  6. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Top job, Jason:fullten:

Jason Gunter likes this.
  7. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks good.

Jason Gunter likes this.
  8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Nice work again, @Jason Gunter :doff:
    Not that I do externals anymore, but interested to know your thoughts on the Finngard as I want to do my outside next year :thumbup:

9. Jason Gunter

Hi Misty, First full year on using it the Finngard silicon protect although it was rebranded from last year when i started using it but thinking about it its been two years #9wow where does the time go to)Easy to use straight out of the tin,covers well even with a drop of o2 imho.Breathable so great for k-rend an the like .I often pass a church i done a year or two ago which was a lime render previously painted with a Tymawr paint if i recall correctly.Still looking as good today has it was when i done it.
    I have a grade 2 listed house to do next year and will probably use it(incidentally the same job has the recent window repairs)on there ,the last painter used jonnos stormshield and has far as i know that isnt breathable,although a tidy drop of masonry

Its my go to at the moment :thumbsup:

mistcoat likes this.
  10. mistcoat

Cheers for that info, Jason :doff:
    It sounds like it could be the one for my property.
    Ta mate :cheers:

Jason Gunter likes this.
  11. chester

chester PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

hi jason
    after chasing out the cracks what filler did you use...I hv used toupret masonry filler in the past

12. Jason Gunter

I believe it was the murex and also used up touprelith F on some areas Chester

chester likes this.
  13. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hi Jason.

I'm doing my own mansion and neighbours this year and thought I'd give Finngard a go. Decent price @ £10 a litre.
    Just read the TDS and it says to apply Finngard Uni Primer as a first coat on previously painted surfaces.
    Have you used the primer or just straight on ?

Daf likes this.
  14. mistcoat

Wasn’t told that when I used it last year on previously painted masonry.
    Only a small job of masonry along the plinth and roof tiling across the front bay.
    Still looks alright and no failure whatsoever.

Jason Gunter, Daf and RonyT like this.
  15. Jason Gunter

@RonyT ,I have never used the uni primer has this wasn’t on the TDS that I was aware of and certainly wasn’t made aware by the rep back then.
    I have used silicone protect now for a couple of years and IMO I have used it with and without hyrosol primer (which is a great primer and works superbly over hairline cracks).
    No issues to date with it even after long showers not more then 30mins of application

mistcoat, Daf and RonyT like this.
  16. RonyT

Cheers Chaps :doff:

Jason Gunter and mistcoat like this.
  17. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice job mate

Jason Gunter likes this.
  18. Robbie uk

Robbie uk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

The Finguard is brilliant stuff !

19. RonyT

Have you used their primer or straight on over solid paint ?

20. Robbie uk

Robbie uk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I used it straight over K Rend, went on a dream and looks mint.

RonyT and Daf like this.