1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last one, I promise.

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by MrHarriDec, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MrHarriDec

MrHarriDec PPS Master Craftsman

Little exterior finished today, last one of the year. Nothing fancy but a fair bit of work went into it and think it came up nice. Total strip on everything and Visir/Demidekk on all joinery, Sikkens AZ and Gras a Lacquer on the front door.

[attachment=3911]
    [attachment=3912]
    [attachment=3913]
    [attachment=3914]
    [attachment=3915]
    [attachment=3916]

Back indoors now for winter, and just in time by the look of it! :omg: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Attached Files:

2. pd67

pd67 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Lovely job Harridec. The Demidek and sikkens looks great

3. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

Superb work as always Lewis! I would defiantly have you to do my house:winky:

The lead detail around the cornice is incorrect. It should not be wrapped round underneath, which is why decay has occurred in the corner. A drip is required, & is easily rectified by un-tucking the lead, trimming the excess & by using a thin board/batton as a guide, then dressing the lead over that:thumbsup:

4. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Lovely job

5. MrHarriDec

Thanks, very kind.:smile:

You know I knew something wasn't right with the lead, I didn't take as many photos as I should have here but the cornice had decayed badly in quite a few areas. I untucked the lead and coated everything underneath with several coats of preservative and sealed up with Dry Seal, then just put it back how it was. I'll have to pop back and have another look at that.

Another thing wrong with the orangery was the atrium, for some reason there was an aluminium trim around all the sills that seemed to serve no purpose other than to collect water and cause a bad leak! :dunno:

It's only about 7 years old, the joinery is good quality but I think whoever installed it wasn't so hot. The hinges looked like they were cut by a wildman with an axe.

6. steveh

steveh PPS Master Craftsman

How do you know i hung the doors:biggrin:
    Top Job Lewis:thumbsup:,is that replacement Dentil Cornice or just stripped back..very nice:winky: You are right about fitters though..they make all the difference ..a crap fitter can make quality look Chit:rolleyes:

7. MrHarriDec

Thanks Steve, it's all stripped back. We used Trade Strip on the cornice and everything else was removed by heat and sanding. All joinery was entirely stripped, all the windows front and back, porch, cornice etc then repaired. It was one of those jobs where you can't wait to get the paint out! The cornice was particularly dull work, every time I got down from the steps and looked at it from a different angle I'd notice a load that I had missed. :rolleyes:

8. steveh

Forgot to say love the front door Gras a Laquer per chance ??

9. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

another nice one harridec bit of a shame its the last one of the year as there always a good read up but look forward to some inside ones

Take you long?

10. MrHarriDec

Of course, for what is a front door without it? :winky:

[attachment=3919]
    [hr]
    Ta Jimmy, just under 2 weeks for this one mate.

Attached Files:

11. charliebudd

charliebudd PPS Master Craftsman

Very nice job. Did you have to strip all the paint at the back? Even the window beads? That would'be been a bugger. I've had to do the same with Homestip/Tradestrip too.

12. steveh

How do you find Trade Strip?? it looks like it did a good job:dunno: and if so ....what coating was it stripping.. I ask as we have to strip a staircase. 1990's glossl on Monday ..I have lots of Paramose (melt a hole in the earths crust stripper) but the client would prefer an Eco version so would I.. but do not wish to be there till xmas:whistle:

13. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I've never used a lacquer, can I ask what benefit it gives? I'd understand on floors, however I'd never thought of using it on exterior joinery.

14. wall2wall

wall2wall PPS Master Craftsman

Edit to add image

Here you go Sir.
    [attachment=3920]

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TOUPRET_GRAS_A_LAQUER__HIGH_GLOSS_SURFACER/

Attached Files:

15. steveh

Hi white pele it is not a Laquer/varnish as the name suggests a bit confusing Here is a link to that will shed some light on it :winky:
    www.painterspitstop.com/showthread.php?tid=5072

16. MrHarriDec

Thanks Charlie. To get the full benefit of the Demidekk system you need to start from scratch so all the glazing beads etc were completely stripped. A few were replaced as they were rotten but I took most of them off anyway so I could coat the rebates with preservative. :thumbsup:

17. MrHarriDec

Pretty good Steve, will definitely be using it again. It just takes a bit more patience than the strippers of old. I'm not sure exactly what it was on there but most likely a water based satin. They have pets and kids here so we needed to be safe.

Rustins Stypit is pretty powerful stuff for stripping off old gloss but it burns like hell and hum dings a bit too. If you use Trade Strip it might be an idea to wrap in cling film and leave overnight.

18. MrHarriDec

Gras a Lacquer isn't actually the lacquer you're thinking of but an oil based filler for fine surfacing, it takes glossing to the next level. No reason not to use it with eggshell either. :winky:

Best to rub it down with wet and dry as the heat friction from power sanding causes it to melt and/or tear.

Mr W2W has kindly provided a link. :thumbsup:

Edit: Also an informative link from Steve. :thumbsup:

19. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

When you say it takes it to the next level, are we talking sheen or durability? And is this something you'd use on all wood, soft and hard woods? Would you have to finish everything the same ie the door and surrounding frame if it takes it to another level, thinking it might then make the surrounding joinery look crap?!

20. MrHarriDec

It's basically for providing an ultra smooth base which of course makes gloss look glossier. I haven't used it on softwood but no reason not to use it on everyday woodwork, if the job called for such a high quality finish.

I have only used on front doors which are usually a different finish and colour so kind of separates it from the rest of the woodwork anyway. :thumbsup: