1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lid, trim, tape, walls = nice lines

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Cavendish, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Cavendish

Cavendish PPS Master Craftsman

For those who like them lines straight!

F&B: Lichen & Wevet
    Tape: yellow frog

Attached Files:

Daf, Ladyzaun, Tess Rigby and 11 others like this.
  2. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

Superb mate :thumbsup:

Cavendish likes this.
  3. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

no bleed through the tape what
    so ever??

4. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Can't beat it mate. Great results.

Cavendish likes this.
  5. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Yellow frog tape is defo the tape to use. Brewers are doing me an unbelievable price on this as well.

Cavendish likes this.
  6. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Can I ask how do you apply the yellow frog tape?do you run a damp cloth over it before you use it and have you ever had issues with it pulling the paint off? I apply test pink and then put the frog tape on top of that prevents any pulls with the tesame and the frog tape gives perfectly straight lines without any bleed.

7. Cavendish

No bleeds, I do check carefully as i tape but well worth it, especially with darker colours, really makes the job.

Whole room and one tiny pull on the skirt which was touched in easily.

White Pele and ryu like this.
  8. Cavendish

Usually run my finger across first, can feel any possible problem spots, then damp cloth to as you say once I'm happy

9. Waynetta

Had bit of a mare taping a ceiling that was having a black feature wall.
    Luckily I did a 6" bit to how good adhesion was and found it wanting.
    Had to revert to the skilled way and cut in by hand... Gutted as no where near as good or quick as taping.

10. Cavendish

Was this onto new plastered room?

11. Waynetta

Yes mate. Done with Benjamin Moore ceiling paint and primed with contract emulsion.
    Might have needed a couple more days

12. Cavendish

I asked the Godfather of spraying on here tjbelfield how he combats this problem as he tapes everything whilst spraying and he was good enough to reply and said to put a coat of Gardz on the cut in areas of the new plaster to seal it and sure up the surface prior to painting and for eventual taping, so for future work on new plaster I'll try that process

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Kev, 3 spires, Buckers and 2 others like this.
  13. White Pele

I think that might be where the fail occurred, the fact it was still pretty fresh. We used the yellow tape on some new plaster work last week which we had coated in mythic drywall primer, then two top coats of regal flat. Pulled about a metre line off of paint. That's the only time though, and I'm 99% sure it's because the drywall was still not fully cured. Like Cavendish says though, no bleed at all. When taping we just make sure the woodwork is dust free, then apply the tape and run a small filling knife, normally a half inch knife, to apply abit of pressure, that way any adhesion issues will show, quick and easy.

Bobbones, Cavendish and Waynetta like this.
  14. Waynetta

Yeah I was thinking of priming with benny Moore high hide next time. I'm sure the Gardz would be great too but never used it. None in stock.

Cavendish likes this.
  15. White Pele

To be honest, I think it's more a case of letting the mist coat/ first coat dry properly. You may have more luck using high hide but I'm not so sure. I would think you'd need a week minimum for the mist coat/ first coat to cure before applying any tape. Only had this problem with plastered walls though, wood or trim has always been fine.

Buckers and Waynetta like this.
  16. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

Ooooh! is this is the result then Cav? if so thanks for the pics, makes the replying worth while, looks great :thumbsup:

17. Cavendish

TJB

These walls are actually lined, so no gardz used in this instance, however I think your tip will be my go to plan on new plaster work, as new surfaces can be a little 'sensitive' to taping up, plaster dust, moisture etc.....

mistcoat, Waynetta and tjbelfield like this.
  18. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I always use a soft 1" brush on Rhino tape after I am happy with tape position

Rolly and barry like this.
  19. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Overall I'm happy using the woodwork 1st and tape up method, but I still have odd bits of pull off and odd bits of bleed through, nothing major just a slight annoyance as when you touch up it obliviously isn't as clean a finish as the rest of the taped room. Would just love one room to pull off clean all the way round!!! Must try a damp cloth next time. I did tape a feature wall on lining paper a couple of weeks ago and that was perfect.

Gazza likes this.
  20. Cavendish

Buckers

Took the tape off a small side room to the pics above today and happily no snags at all, I don't think there is a true secret to it, sometimes you just put a bit more paint on unknowingly and it could just be that reason, bit of grit under tape thats been missed, as you say it's annoying but overall the customers love the little details that you, we, I look for, makes the difference

Buckers likes this.