1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lid, trim, tape, walls = nice lines

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Cavendish, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

Could it be done if using oil based for trim ?
    Cheers Tim . So if aura is satin and dries a lot quicker why would you use the advance satin ? As that's the one I got . Thought like the aura an regal were for walls / ceilings not trim ?? That's why I got the advance ...

2. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Advance is even tougher than Aura. Great on high use areas. Not tried the Aura on wood trim yet but others on here have used it a lot. Have asked the question re how hard and durable the aura is. Hopefully someone will inform.

3. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks good

4. Cavendish

Cavendish PPS Master Craftsman

Back at my favourite house to do another room

Feature wall and trim: F&B Down Pipe, Modern Emulsion and Eggshell

Walls: Tikkurila Optiva 5

Door and trim: BM Advanced Satin Super White

Attached Files:

5. Gary scott

Looking good mate . Not heard from ya in a while ....:

6. Cavendish

Cheers Gary

Been on hols mate, decided to leave the phones at home for a couple of weeks, no tech allowed for kids either, brilliant idea all round, proper holiday

Tess Rigby and Buckers like this.
  7. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Hi Cavendish,
    I am doing a lounge in f&b downpipe next week. Do I, and did you, use the undercoat colour that they specify, or are they just flogging me another 2.5l of paint to boost their mega profit margins?

Cavendish likes this.
  8. Gary scott

Good man . Yeah nice for people to actually talk n not just sit staring at there phones .......
    like that colour mate . Hope the weather was kind to you .

Cavendish likes this.
  9. Cavendish

We were going over white, used the dark tones undercoat on WW, put 2 coats on and then the eggshell had 3 coats, only a small area so no problem but on bigger areas, a ball ache, feature wall has had at least 3 coats, not used the primer/undercoat they advise as it's only one wall and we could build up coats to get the depth of colour we were happy with.

Customer had brought all paint and appreciate it's taken a few coats, however I would advise having the lot colour matched by BM, that's our usual practice for F&B

Always bang on match and price is same same really, but a definate time saver for sure using the BM

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Peter Humphreys likes this.
  10. Rolly

Rolly PPS Tradesman

Do you think Bm match perfectly for all colours? I've found the darker the colour the more it is off. Awesome job either way!

11. Fellowbrush

Fellowbrush PPS Master Craftsman

When you guys paint the trim first do you come on to the wall a bit with the trim paint or cut it in neatly ?

12. Cavendish

Thanks

I've had a few done at BM and always been happy, I suppose a colour match is always a gamble, had Tikkurilla colour match one recently and it was a fair way off

13. Cavendish

Yep, come up a bit onto wall, allows you to paint up nice and quick and also then you have a little bit of flexibility when taping up, sometimes there's a few bumps or dips across skirtings especially in older properties so you get some play if you get what I mean

Waynetta and Fellowbrush like this.
  14. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

On the F&B coverage thing, I just had to put 4 coats of Wimborne white on a ceiling that was the palest shade of grey (I mean virtually white) and to my eye it still wasn't truly solid but I honestly can't see how any "undercoat" could have made a difference in that situation. I have never used Benjamin Moore paints and had never heard of them until I found you guys all raving about them on here. If they can knock up a good match for F&B and Little Greene etc I am keen to try them out for furniture/kitchens particularly. I often use Johnstones Acrylic satin as a user friendly colour match if the client is happy. There's been so many problems with F&B over the years they just p%%£ me off, but the colour card is great and the landed ladies love em... What ya gonna do?

15. Cavendish

I agree that the F&B can often look like 'it needs another one'

Very frustrating but I give fair warning to customers that I'm not its biggest fan, I offer alternative brands and suggest multiple coats maybe required to get the desired depth of colour they want in F&B, this of course costs more, sometimes they listen, but they always pay what the jobs worth, customers hey, gotta love em.

Saying all that they are cracking colours, I'd encourage to try a job in BM though @greenbank :thumbsup:

Peter Humphreys and greenbank like this.
  16. Cavendish

F&B: Stifkey Blue

This took a fair few coats to get the colour/coverage perfect on the eye but it's a stunner

Attached Files:

stevy, Kev, Peter Humphreys and 3 others like this.
  17. greenbank

Very tidy mate! Funny enough I was eyeing up that colour for my own house the other day

Cavendish likes this.
  18. Tess Rigby

Tess Rigby PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Just to add to the general consensus - I picked up the taping method from painterpitstop. It's such a joy to paint like this. Makes for a really professional job. Customers love the finish. And it's fast.

Cavendish likes this.
  19. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

@greenbank your going to love Ben Moore. Give it a bash I'm sure you'll be converted.

barry and Cavendish like this.
  20. greenbank

I will be checking out the BM when the next opportunity arises @Waynetta, though the job I'm on has a few weeks left in it.
    Actually, I have a kitchen in the pipeline so I may be able to persuade client to go for it though they probably want an FB colour. I know it's an off-white. What would you guys recommend for a BM equivalent to the FB egg for cabinets?