1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lid, trim, tape, walls = nice lines

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Cavendish, Feb 8, 2017.

1. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Big fan of using the taping method. Never quite works for me using it on picture rails or ceilings tho. Always find I have to 'straighten' it up by hand after removing the tape. Not sure why really as picture rails are pretty straight by design, ceilings less so I guess

2. Dean decorating

Dean decorating PPS Tradesman

decoratingdirect and Cavendish like this.
  3. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hey, this is where your new laser level might also come in handy @crj! I haven't used mine for this yet but was thinking about it as a use only yesterday, especially with sloping ceilings and the like...

crj likes this.
  4. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I really like the fossa I have been painting a few huge sash windows and taped them they had 1 Otex, 2 coats of Highhide and 2 coats of Advanced Satin alot of build up and the tapes been on over a week!

I knew I would have problems but was surprised how well it removed 10% of tape failed on pulling off so it was a case of a blade to pull the edge up but 99% had a clean line.

In hindsight I would use the delicate fossa as easier pull off would no doubt have less tape rips.

decoratingdirect likes this.
  5. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Super sharp looking @Cavendish :thumbsup:
    I've never taped up to a ceiling (except when spraying lids on a full spray job) but can see the benefits especially when cutting very dark colours which show up everything.

Cavendish likes this.
  6. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks fantastic! Only ever tape the frames & skirts myself but can see the benefits there of other areas being done.

Cavendish likes this.
  7. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

Great work mate

Cavendish likes this.
  8. chester

chester PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

as the rest hv said ..excellent...not used yellow frog...I uuse pink tesa….some bleed but not much...will try yellow frog

Cavendish likes this.
  9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

10. Iain79

Iain79 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks great. I always use frog tape when have a different coloured wall cos it has the option to seal it to stop paint bleed before painting, but your pics show the fossa tape works really well and doesn't bleed and I have a sample roll as well so ill be trying it out in near future

11. greenbank

That's a good point @Iain79 about yellow Frog being wettable to seal it down before paint application. Definitely a useful attribute at times. I wonder if @decoratingdirect can tell us if their yellow or other tapes work the same way?

Waynetta and Buckers like this.
  12. decoratingdirect

decoratingdirect PPS Tradesman PPS Sponsor

When you get those lines so sharp and crisp, the contrasty dark blue and white looks really sophisticated. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

13. Rdubya

Rdubya PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Until I stumbled across PPS I'd never heard somebody call a ceiling a lid.

Nice job buddy, I need to use tape more often.

Cavendish and crj like this.
  14. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Ha, things I'd never heard of before joining on here:

1) BM paint
    2) Mary hinge
    3) Gibbwrap™
    4) xvlp
    5) leaving tea bags on top of kitchen doors
    6) 76 year old leprechaun type decorators

Prob a lot more but they're the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Oh and ..

7) a top, sober (during the daytime at least), group of non arguing decorators who actually know what they're talking about :cheers:

Kev, 3 spires, Buckers and 4 others like this.
  15. Rdubya

Rdubya PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I've so many questions but I'm very high from using pliolite in a larder today so I better keep quiet

crj, Cavendish and Dean decorating like this.
  16. greenbank

Yeah, I was like..."Mary hi- ?" :scratchhead:oh...

RonyT likes this.