1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Look what we've been asked to quote for

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by handypainter, May 17, 2011.

1. handypainter

handypainter PPS Master Craftsman

Had an email through on the mobile this morning, from a German lady asking for a quote on some work in this country. She's asking for some exterior painting on two items........

Sorry about the quality, twas viddy foggy;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

No way!!!

That is fantastic. D you fancy taking that on? That would be a good one to get for sure.
    If you get it and do it I'm gonna change your Av to a Windy Miller one  :winky:

Any spec on it or will they be leaving that up to you?

3. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

A little bit different from the norm Alan. It will be interesting to know what you are going to use & how you are going to do it.

I am sure you will do a PROPer job & will you do the two items in ROTATION? - FANtastic :thumbsup:

4. lee decor

lee decor PPS Tradesman

Nice one Alan, just make sure if you get it that it gets turned off lol, is it inside & out?

5. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

Is this a WINDup? was your number BLOWING in the WIND? or did your advertising GENERATE this LEAD?  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Hope that you get it, and the price is right! :thumbsup:

6. handypainter

It would certainly be a good one to add to the portfolio mistcoat :thumbsup:

I'm going to completely ignore Aggies puns  :tongue1:

To give you guys a bit more info; There are three turbines, they measure 50m from ground to the centre of the turbine. If you look very closely at the last photo you may notice that from the bottom to the top of the pic the tower is painted in six colours, five of them being different shades of green. Dark green at the bottom to light green at the top. This tower has already been painted to spec, but the other two haven't had the green sections painted, and that's what we've been asked to quote for. From ground level to the top painted edge of the lightest green is 15m. The German company who installed the turbines are shipping over the paint, but I have yet to receive the spec on that.

Once I read through the spec, I will hopefully get a better idea on what is required from us. I would absolutely love to quote for the work, but if I feel it's out of our league, or we don't have the appropriate equipment then I'll pass it on.

Oh god, it looks like the welsh bloke has SPARKed an interest

7. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

Don't blow a FUSE handy! :tongue1:

8. cardwizzard

cardwizzard PPS Tradesman

Nice job to bid on. No way would I be thinking of passing on this. 50ft isn't that high, could specalize on them!!

9. MND

MND PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Bought a 7m roller pole last week, just tie 7 together and jump a little, jobs a good un!

Don't pass it by, things like that rarely come along!

10. handypainter

The height doesn't bother me, would probably hire a cherry picker as the ground is all very good hard standing. The specializing idea certainly crossed my mind  :thumbsup:

Great idea, where did ya get your 7m pole from, that would save on hiring a cherry picker :laugh:

11. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

I've been up a mast or two with my varnish pot but never had the pleasure of talking to seagulls at 50m. Twitchy bum time.

[img=350x400]http://http://traditionalpainter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/100_0552.JPG[/img]

I have no idea what certification you would need, but if I had to do this I would get an experienced climber to join the team and rig you up in a harness and carabiner so you can lower yourselves down and around from the top down.

Think of a number and times ten. Good luck.

12. cardwizzard

cardwizzard PPS Tradesman

Get on the blower to your local scaffo rental place. Get a price for I take it 4-5 stories. Wouldn't take that long if you had it completly scaffolded. Worth the price of a phone call then you know where you stand. Cherrypickers and booms also. Germans know the craic, and will pay for it to be done right. All the best with it, keep us all posted.

13. handypainter

We only have to paint up to 15 metres high (the five different shades of green), sorry if I didn't explain that clearly, so probably go with scaffolding or a cherry picker.

And we've already taken your advise with the calculations  :whistle: :whistle:

14. handypainter

Will see the scaffies tomorrow, I have a couple of plans they can have a look at, thanks for the input

15. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I know somebody that installs these all over the world, good money too.

Not sure on the scaffolding, what is it constructed from? The vibrations and movement of the building might rule scaffolding out, although if you're only going 15m up then it might not be so bad???

16. handypainter

Very good point there, I will get more advice from the installers.

17. handypainter

Aaaahhh, sussed out how to paint these things now, good old youtube  :biggrin:

Sarah, can I order two ABB robotic thingies please......

http://youtu.be/xLyfegzK6AU

18. mistcoat

That's cool, but I still think I'd rather do it myself.
    Who "trained" the robot? Man.

Still good tho'!

19. mistcoat

And they say they should be painted PURPLE<<< Clicky there.

VESTAS are coming to Sheerness.
    These farms are going to be popping up everywhere. Get in now Allan  :thumbsup:

20. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

:lol:  :lol: will they fit on a UPS van  :laugh: