1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loweswater - Hallway

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by DerekHessett, Feb 18, 2021.

1. DerekHessett

DerekHessett PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Thought i would do a seperate thread away for the other one I had done, just for the hallway of this job. Its an ongoing job around two weeks left on it with the hallway being the very last thing so this thread will probably end up with a hundred photos :huh:

The first photos are from when I first visited the job back in August 2020. The hallway had previous been skimmed with Artex in the late 70s, its what I would call a coat hanger effect as you could hang your jacket on it anywhere you like. It was pretty shocking looking as you can see.
    —-
    F8A04BD8-7D43-4831-83CD-DFA34F91445D.jpeg

AB0B6D1A-37AB-4251-BAB3-925A8B5DCAA0.jpeg

BB2B5D60-E45A-453B-AB7C-057301AE151F.jpeg

E5472549-790A-4B37-9DF3-3C465C9C4D9F.jpeg

Hallway all panelled out to perfection with MRMDF -

84 panels in total and already I can feel my finger screaming not more caulking .

First coat of Tikkurila Akvi Primer going on the panelling -

amazing gear I buy it in 20 litres drums highly recommend :thumbup:.

Ceilings were primed out with Optiva Primer and the we went to town on the coving. Toupret Interior being my favourite then I finished the ceilings with two coats of AR2 tinted to Wimborne White.

6981865D-260D-4813-B10E-BDDCBB96DBFE.jpeg

6BEA03D2-D2A9-467F-BC15-A391A39DADA8.jpeg

F7F70153-9EE6-4CF0-85C6-2EED3895044C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2021
    Hang it all, barry, Waynetta and 6 others like this.
  2. will

will PPS Tradesman

As a non sprayer i found that video mesmerising ,this job is looking stunning in both colour choices and finish:thumbsup:...will

3. DerekHessett

The banister was next as I wanted that brought to a finish and then protected as the underside is going black same as the spindles. it was originally going to be stripped and French Polished but the customer changed there mind. 14 hours of sanding back years of varnish/polish loads of Abranet and Goldflex used and it was looking amazing. A few dents to repair but nothing major :thumbup:

A60765BB-9AD5-4308-A58B-3B183F7FC034.jpeg

143CC986-7A00-4D97-A9F6-EBA6A5E1BA6F.jpeg

37403678-EA7B-4859-9A21-542DA4187ED2.jpeg

1A8463A9-C5C4-42DD-8AEB-E0556F273E0B.jpeg

DFD233DE-B5C7-485B-ADA3-79979D85365A.jpeg

barry, Robjames92, mistcoat and 4 others like this.
  4. DerekHessett

Banister now ready for my favourite Osmo Polyx Oil. A coat each evening on the last hour before leaving after clean up :thumbsup: I will get some photos of it finished on Monday.

The paneling was next this last week. There is very little shrinkage with MRMDF maybe 1mm over a board in the worst case. Considering this was all fitted, left for a month then heating cranked on and left for another month it was solid all around. 83 panels in total had the feathered edge painted with a small fitch and Smith & Rodger Shellac which is a painstaking task in itself all before the prime coat. Every joint was filled with Toupret Wood Filler (powder stuff) and 3M Red Acrylic Glazing Putty.

3 Solid days followed this sanding everything back :zzz: and the another coat sprayed of Akvi Primer -

Usually at this stage I would start getting everything caulked but this tears the fingers apart on top of primer so a better route is waiting until you have your first coat sprayed of finish (Everal Aqua 10) its far easier on the hands :thumbup:

First coat of Everal Aqua 10 tinted to Wimborne White below. You can see a few sponge marks from the caulking after this coat has cured getting ready for the final spray this Saturday :coolbubble:

EFE3B8B2-9751-4F48-910C-A8F6E0A1D414.jpeg

FE44C3A7-F72F-4C5F-8C14-8D15265E0776.jpeg

0DBE50E1-E342-4E1D-9468-1451B60864E9.jpeg

5. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks great as always mate. Top class stuff.

Just to completely lower the tone to my level though, the end of that handrail does look a bit like one I curled out this morning .

Ps great to see first class work on here :notworthy:

DerekHessett likes this.
  6. DerekHessett

If you would like a smooth finish try some Goldflex for loo roll :hysterical:

Tomcio, PaintHQ, Bobbones and 3 others like this.
  7. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

:hysterical::thumbsup:

8. DerekHessett

This is the look the customer is going for, the imagine is pinched of Pinterest.

A65175DC-D82C-40C1-A9E0-B39B498DC7E9_1_201_a.jpeg

On the middle landing the joiner made sure the boards were all held down well and we go to town prepping them back. The Carpet is 70 inch wide so there was plenty of Upol 2 Part then skimmed with Toupret Wood filler. BM - Stix will be going down followed by two coats of Scuff X Black Noir in Eggshell. I didn't get the Stix tinted after hearing the bonding qualities are not as good and the Black covers very well anyway.

74A2A061-C8B0-4F95-97C3-06424F71889B.jpeg

66380F9B-68EB-48EE-AEA1-B954A6DD4963.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  9. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Lovely work @DerekHessett , must be great to work on a project like this.

10. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Always great to look at your work, @DerekHessett :doff:
    Obviously lots of pride in what you do mate!

I hope you’re on DW or if you gave a price, you’ve certainly got your numbers dialled in to make money :thumbsup:

DerekHessett and Bobbones like this.
  11. bruntonpasty

bruntonpasty PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You are the "Boy":thumbsup: !! Looks fantastic. We did a Victorian vicarage about ten years ago, unfortunately, despite clearly having the money, they would never have allowed us to be so thorough and meticulous, a crying shame in my view. I'll try and have a natter with you if I ever bump into you in Bromboroughs again.. or....If I see you parked in that Lay by at Rheghed!! Were you getting a butty across the road?:cool:

DerekHessett and mistcoat like this.
  12. DerekHessett

Yes for this type of work I charge hourly, it’s common practice in the lakes tbh. Generally most people with houses so old like this up here understand that you couldn’t possibly put a price on it as you run into so man problems with old buildings. If it was on price your going to shot so far over to cover your tail, so for both parties hourly or day is best I feel.
    ---

Yes my friends own the butty van I highly recommend it is immaculate. Richard the owner butchers all there own meet :thumbup:

Definitely next time your about drop a message even drop into one of the jobs for a craic :thumbup:

13. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Meet or meat?
    Reminds me of that butchers sign over the doorway, Derek.

Welcome to XYZ butchers.
    Meat to please you.
    Pleased to meet you!
    :biggrin:

I digress :blush:

Sounds a pleasing way to work on the projects, Derek. They know you only wish to provide the best work and finish. They know you aren't there to take the mick and are more than happy to pay for top workmanship.
    Cannot beat winning jobs like that as everyone is happy!

Peter Humphreys, ahenrypd and RonyT like this.
  14. DerekHessett

This is the finished paper for above the panelling although we are a few weeks away from fitting it this will be my last thing to do. It’s Timorous Beastie - Napoleon Bee.

0802F7F5-7F82-4E38-9FE7-637E538C9EC8.jpeg

Autocorrect has a lot to answer for :whistle:

PaintHQ, mistcoat and RonyT like this.
  15. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Love that paper!

How will you hang it ? Run a laser line across so the bees are laterally level ?

16. DerekHessett

Yes that’s the plan, I will wallrock it first then run my seems and internals with black flat emulsion. It’s a long hallway so will have to take the coving into consideration. At 160 years old I can’t see it being very level but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  17. Tristan Stephens

Tristan Stephens PPS Time Served

Excellent work, it looks amazing.

18. Nic harrison

Nic harrison PPS Apprentice

Wow. Just came across this thread. I’m like a silent viewer on this platform always picking up tips. You guys know your stuff ! This is an amazing job

DerekHessett, will and PaintHQ like this.
  19. will

will PPS Tradesman

It is very impressive Nic ,bang on mate....will

Nic harrison likes this.