1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mandatory "where are you from" line in left column

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by n8r, Jan 22, 2010.

1. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

mandatory "where are you from" line in left column

Hell I dunno where everyone is from.  Since you limey's been multiplying like bunnies  (is limey a bad word??  :hysterical: I have no idea!!  :hysterical:) I need to know where everyone is!

2. Timhag

Timhag PPS Time Served

Re: mandatory "where are you from" line in left column

You have 4 reads and no one answered. Pittsburgh Pa here.

3. y.painting

y.painting PPS Apprentice

I don't know...I always see guys over at CT get all worked up over the "missing location" thing...and I'm like, who cares? Sometimes it comes off as if they're paranoid not to accidentally talk to someone from their area. I don't know, if someone wants to post their location, great. If not, I don't care.

But then again, I ain't the one running the show here. So, since it's "mandatory," I am a painter in Rochester, NY.

4. Workaholic

Workaholic PPS Tradesman Bar Member

I like to know what are of the world that people i am talking with are at.

5. TooledUp

TooledUp PPS Master Craftsman

I'll look into changing it but there's no guarantees what people will put in the box  :biggrin:

6. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

Yeah, it is just good old fashioned politeness, Hello, my name is David, & I am from Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, England.  - the home of Aston Martin. :thumbsup:

7. LOSTinDETAILS

LOSTinDETAILS PPS Apprentice

Athens, GA. here. I like the idea of knowing where everyone is from.

8. RCP

RCP PPS Tradesman Bar Member

It also helps when trying to give advice, there is a lot of regional differences in procedures, licensing and materials available.

9. daArch

daArch PPS Tradesman

Well I think I've been quite clear I'm from the OTHER, -  OTHER,  -  OTHER Norfolk. Not the orig in Norwich, nor the Naval one in Va, but the one next door to the new Repub senator. I'm the Masshole Norfolker.

BTW, "limey" is OK. But "bloody poofter" ain't. Even if they do like to suck on a fag.  :hysterical:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

10. daArch

daArch PPS Tradesman

screw this edit tag

11. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

:-) it was just to get to know people more.. I am sure in a thread or 2 I will read it and figure it out on my own, but as Agg said.. just good manners:smile:

12. TooledUp

I agree, it's good to know where someone is from and can make a difference on how you answer a question on here.  Making it mandatory is kind insisting that somebody relinquishes at least a part of their privacy rights.  Even if we did try to enforce it, people could put anything in they liked really.

There is a part in your profile for your location but it isn't shown on the left of the message posts.  I'll look into a way to altering that so that anyone who wants to put their location in can have it shown on the left of a post with the other info.  A temporary workaround just now would be to go to your profile and change the 'personal text' field to your location (like i have  :biggrin:).

13. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Alrighty then, I am from The Garden of England - Kent.
    Am I allowed to say England?
    Apparently I am not.  :dunno:

14. TooledUp

Okay all fixed.  Hover over the 'profile' link at the top and click forum profile.  There's a box at the bottom to put in where you are from.  All new members will be required to fill that in but there's no guarantees of it's accuracy 

It'll be shown on the left of message posts with all the other user info :thumbup:

15. Workaholic

Workaholic PPS Tradesman Bar Member

Thanks Pete.  :thumbup: