1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More stuff @ Mr Tooled Up's request {2}

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Aggie, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

'Old' signs what I done meself...............
    These ones have all been done in emulsion, & then distressed. They are mainly done on rough sawn boards & then sanded -  before painting of course. The 'Vets' & 'Jean Rigby' signs, I did, were presents/gifts, as these are clients/friends of mine. The pictures are poor quality, as they are digital pics of photographs.

2. TooledUp

TooledUp PPS Master Craftsman

I love those signs Aggie  :bubblegum:  Hand painting signs is a dying art now that the digital printing has taken over.  I would have loved to have had the chance to have taken that up :smile:

3. daArch

daArch PPS Tradesman

veeeerrry nice.

we got some "sign" painters over here that look like hacks compared to your stuff !!!

BTW, do you design them also?

4. Workaholic

Workaholic PPS Tradesman Bar Member

Very cool. Yep a dying art, state side anyways.

5. Aggie

Thanks guys, you're too kind.
    TU, When I did my apprenticeship, the signwork element was taken out that year -  :sad: However, I vowed I would go back to college & do it one day - ten years later I did, part time until I got my C&G. I have gotta say though, it consisted of practise practise practise, But before hand though, because I was interested in this part of our trade, I would shut myself away & have a dabble on me own, reading books to get the gist of the technique. I do not do much of this these days, just the odd one or two. I do not think I am brilliant be any stretch of the imagination, some guys who do this stuff all the time are just awesome. I get by.

Yes daArch, I do design them as well, although the other 'advertising' ones are of course direct copies from sweet rappers/product labels etc. BTW, what does 'Hacks' mean? :scratchhead:

6. TooledUp

TooledUp PPS Master Craftsman

I didn't get a lot of signwriting tuition at all.  We only touched on very basic stuff.  Like you say though, it's something you have to put a lot of time in to to master it.  Don't be too modest Aggie.  That's some brilliant work there  :thumbsup:

Cowboys in proper English Aggie  :hysterical:

7. johnpaint

johnpaint PPS Apprentice

Very nice

8. n8r

n8r PPS Master Craftsman

Good Stuff Agg!  Hacks mean more of someone saying they can do something, doing it half cocked and making a bad name for the industry.  Hacks, like they "hacked" the job.. messed it up ya know?

But seriously, good artwork man! :thumbup:

9. Aggie

Again, the move over to new software created a loss of some pictures, so here are the ones I think were here originally
    [attachment=666]
    [attachment=667]
    [attachment=668]
    [attachment=669]

Attached Files:

10. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

I koved those pics first time around:thumbsup:

11. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

those signs are giving me a sugar rush