1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Forum - Current Issues and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by Colour Republic, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hi Guys,

As you have probably noticed by now we have moved over to some new forum software. There are a lot more exciting features possible now and in the coming months you should starting seeing some of these. Of course with any new change it takes a little time to get things working as they should, even more so when you are trying to keep all the great things about the old forum.

It's a bit of a learning curve for us as well as for yourselves so it's not going to be easy!

No doubt as you use the forum you'll find a few problems - For example some links are not working as the should. Also there are some new elements and features you guys may like to see. Can I ask that if members find a problem that they come back to this thread and post them here rather than in the place they found them so it is easier for us to track and deal with them and hopefully in some cases we can answer relatively quickly

As 2 examples of this...

Internal Links
    Ldec pointed out that internal links within some posts are not working. This is where you can see a link to an old thread and it still works if you copy and paste it in to an address bar but not if you simply try and click on a link.
    Answer: We've noticed that too and whilst we could go round and edity the links one by one by hand... it would take a bloody age. Hopefully we can apply a mod to the whole forum where it does it for us and all links work again, but leave it with us.

Similar Topics
    Two-Tins asked "Is it possible to have similar topics displayed at the bottom of the thread you're reading? I find that very useful when searching for something."
    Answer: Yes that is entirely possible with the new forum... once we've set it up!:oops: Basically if you are viewing a thread about say "Sadolin Superdec" then at the bottom of the page it will display multiple additional threads that also discuss the same topic. So if you're looking for answers on something very specific then it will give you a list of other threads worth reading.

So as I say guys, if at all possible, post any issues you are having with the new software here in this thread and of course if you'd like to see a certain features, then do the same. We'll either be able to answer straight away or add it to a list of things to work through.

Cheers guys:winky:

Jam Buster, mistcoat and Puma like this.
  2. Ldec

Ldec PPS Time Served

Not all pictures are showing in posts, some have them at the bottom but some do not.

3. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

@Ldec Can you link to an example post?

4. Ldec

Ldec PPS Time Served

Also see the previous thanks each post no longer shows up

5. Paint It Now

Paint It Now PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

How do I mark the topic as "read" believe it or not there were some that I didn't ever read that I just marked as read so that I knew what was new when I revisited, I can't seem to find this feature..

6. Paint It Now

Paint It Now PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

How do I thank or like a post?

7. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

How do you send pms now

8. mistcoat

On the right hand side of the post you wish to thank there is the word "like" next to the word reply, click the "like".
    Click it on this post of mine, all likes are great :biggrin:

9. mistcoat

PM's. On this new bit of kit, the makers like to call it a "Conversation".
    I still like the word PM.

Look for your Username at the top RHS of the forum along the black bar> look for where it will say Painter16, Inbox, Alert> click your username> a new dropdown window will open with many choices> in the right hand column click "conversation"> top right of page you'll see a butto saying "start a new conversation", click that> you'll be taken to the PM page to create a new PM.

10. mistcoat

Apart from posting on a topic/thread, there is no option currently. Will look to see if there is an add-on for it.

11. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Thanks Tim

mistcoat likes this.
  12. mistcoat

@Paint It Now Actually, you should be able to see on the top left of the forum page "Mark forum as read".
    Let me know if you can't see that :thumbup:

Guessing you're seeing many threads as unread since the migration even though you have read them. Best thing to do is try to keep up with the most recent threads, then mark that particular forum board as read. You should be up to date then. If you catch my drift :smile:

Paint It Now likes this.
  13. coys84

coys84 PPS Tradesman

I have a problem, I seemed to be able to get in without the 403 message.

Colour Republic likes this.
  14. mistcoat

Where's my mallet?

timmys ban mallet.jpg

15. Dexter

Dexter PPS Tradesman

Just seen it today and quite like it, I like how yous have added me on at the end so we can reply straight away:thumbup:
    I think this will help more people reply to posts.

mistcoat likes this.
  16. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Can't seem to find anything via the 'search' facility, always comes up 'no results found'?

17. mistcoat

@White Pele Try the search now good sir. Got it going now. Had to rebuild the cache. Over 100,000 post we got here now. Jeepers!
    Sorry it wasn't working :blush:

18. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

Its like I've been on holiday, came back and found someone had redecorated my house :coolbubble:

Brewersromford likes this.
  19. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

It works now, nice one Tim.

20. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Cant find Decorating Direct or Paint Brush