This is a bit out there, but my dear designer wife decided that when we moved home recently, her all-singing all-dancing AVL loom (if Wooster made looms...) had to be colourised in order to inspire her creative juices while at work. Luckily she is an arty type with an engineer's brain, so she dissembled it and masked up any immovable metalwork. She also had the colours in her head as she organised them in painting piles. If you are good at sudoku you might be able to see the logic. I'm no good at sudoku so Im glad she was there! It started life as beech that had been clear lacquered, so it was cleaned down with wet n dry, tack ragged, and primed with 2 coats of Mythic universal primer, sanded between coats. I used a Sata 1000 RP gun with a 1.6mm tip and around 22psi Once cured, the latex Mythic primer is rather robust. There are 5 Little Greene colours. In theory the painted elements aren't working parts as such. Or rather, some move but don;t rub. Anything that rubbed against something else was left clear lacquer. (As you can tell I am well up with the technical lingo!) I decided on Little Greene Ultimatt plus 2 coats of Polyvine decorators varnish. The thinking being, if it does get knocked hard, eggshell would mark, whereas the varnish will be the sacrificial coat and the colour would have more chance of staying intact. Assembling it was quite the event, suffice to say, we are still married and only a couple of pieces were nicked. It is quite the working piece of art now, and technically, it is holding up as hoped. A nice factory quality finish with a non plastic look. Maybe this year I will get my lime green silk suit, unless one of you gets an order in first!