1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper masking instead of plastic sheeting.

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by mistcoat, Jul 2, 2020.

1. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Seeing a post made by Tomcio over in the Masking Tips thread where he said...

There could be less use of plastic use from us or, a biodegradable plastic made which would be good for the environment as per the above quote about paper.
    But I was thinking today about the post above.

The paper or a biodegradable plastic may be earth friendly, but what about the paint that is laced all over the paper?
    That may not be good for the environment as it begins the breakdown process. So is paper a good thing after all?

I'm no expert. But it got me thinking. What do you all reckon?

2. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Was it the environmental aspect he meant? or the fact paint doesn't flake off paper like it does plastic?
    Opps, missed the 'earth friendly' bit off the end of the post.

3. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Some of the plastic floor protection is said to be recyclable but I've never worked out how.

Tomcio likes this.
  4. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I assume it can at least be recycled. All my xboard and paper go into those bins at the tip.

Tomcio likes this.
  5. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Yes paper is better than plastic--allways.
    Yes most of the paints are bad for the environment wet or dry.

With the current state of the poor Earth we should use milk, lime, yolks, clay and sodium silicate only to be honest.

greenbank, Bobbones and White Pele like this.
  6. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

I really try to talk customers into clay paint for walls, the only struggle really is the limited colours available. When a natural paint company manages to get customer mixes going they will be onto a winner because its so easy to sell the idea.

Meantime, I guess a few splashes of paint on paper and card isn't going to hurt if it's recycled. If it goes to landfill the paper and card will breakdown and leave a bit of residue that lasts but that's still better than dumping plastic sheets (and I am as guilty as the rest sometimes).

I have looked into making various eco-friendly deorating products but the problem is the cost is prohibitive unless I can commit to ridiculous quantities. Same goes for any manufacturer and although plant-based 'plastic' sheeting is available, it's expensive and means adding costs to quotes.

crj, 3 spires, RonyT and 1 other person like this.
  7. greenpainting

Eco Ezee do a biodegradable 12' x 12' sheet as do Edward Bulmer and for quantities you're talking about 2.50 per sheet which I guess isn't too bad and they can probably be used a few times.

For hard floors there is the rolls of recycled drink cartons from Dec Direct. I use a fair bit of that and it lasts a few uses. You need a bit of muscle to be lifting a full roll though - it ain't lightweight stuff.

Rdubya, Bobbones, Tomcio and 2 others like this.
  8. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

This is a timely thread, it’s been on my mind for the past year how to get over the floor protection without using plastic. The cartons from Dec Direct look like a good alternative, I have a whole downstairs to cover, over refurbished floor boards, this should do nicely and help my conscience.

Tomcio likes this.
  9. greenpainting

IT's good stuff - pretty heavy duty and it makes you feel confident that the floor is well covered. You need some good tack masking tape to keep it down round the edges if you need to be working on skirting boards. I've actually got some on the wood floor at home where the wife has her home working 'office'. It's looking tatty but in the 3 months it's been down she hasn't managed to wear through it yet.

10. greenpainting

OK having looked in a bit more detail, the DD floor protection isn't going to help your conscience after all. Yes it's made from drink carton card (not recycled but possiby excess stock or something) but it's coated with polyethylene - so you're pretty much still using plastic. As it's a mix of two elements I'm not even sure it can be recycled. It's not easy being green!

11. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Every piece of plastic will end as a waste in land/ocean fill at some point..recycling can be done just few times.

12. mick partington

mick partington PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

:offtopic: again as usual , just a bit of a rant really plastic film protection why oh why do they keep selling me crap, its to short and IF its got tape attached [which I prefer] that tapes to tacky and pulls the paint off . now I'm hoping that the right stuff is out there and thiko here's not found it I want 12ft drop with pink tessa equivalent tape attached for when I'm painting just ceilings and covering all the walls is that to much to ask for, dont make me have to go round the top with low tack tape then put your high grip schitt on top of it , then find the drap only comes part way down the wall come on get with the program manufacturers start giving me the right stuff 12ft drop low tack tape enough on a roll to at least go round an average size room :cry:that's all

greenpainting and Hang it all like this.
  13. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hiya... a perfect opportunity to post this message to you Mick... it is strictly :hysterical::sarcastic::biggrin:....hope it gives you a smile, and not a:rant:!! Ive noticed an odd omission in your longer posts, so I’m sending to you for your very recent bday ... very happy bday wishes , and .... a small present. The present is a box of ‘full stops’, as it appears that your keyboard has the .... missing!
    Trust this is received as it was sent i.e. :cheers::friends::yes:

mick partington likes this.
  14. mick partington

mick partington PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

thankyou young Barry.

barry likes this.
  15. greenpainting

This is the stuff from DD on a new wooden floor in a village hall last year - all taped down it looks good and it's fairly tough. That scaffold tower had to be moved about a fair bit but it didn't go through the floor protector anywhere. (yep that's the tower I managed to fall off last year).

Attached Files:

YTS 83' likes this.
  16. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@greenpainting - if you’re looking for a green alternative for hard floor protection, give X-Board a go. Relatively cheap seeing as you can re-use it multiple times. I’ve stopped using sticky plastic for hardfloor and use this stuff exclusively now.

added bonus is that is breathable so perfect for newly laid floors. Also, if you are spraying, it doesn’t end up like an ice skating rink with the overspray like it does with a plastic floor protector.

When it’s really nackered, you can stick it in your paper recycle bin or down the dumps cardboard recycle bit.

17. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Get my X-board from Toolstation. Good tip I read somewhere, backroll it to stop it curling up.

18. greenpainting

@RonyT that sounds like the kind of thing I need - I'll have a look. Thank you :thumbsup:

RonyT likes this.
  19. Hang it all

Hang it all PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Great reminder about the xboard thanks @RonyT , I have some newly tiled floors to cover. Was going to roll out some wallrock, but this is a better bet cheers

RonyT likes this.
  20. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yeh thats the stuff i use too and its reusable!

RonyT likes this.