1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paste the Wall- Non Woven paper paste recommendations or suggestions.

Discussion in 'Wallcoverings - and related topics.' started by wall2wall, Mar 24, 2013.

1. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Yes I'm notsure your adding any benefit there tbh mate

2. C.dean

C.dean PPS Apprentice

3. Robbie uk

Robbie uk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I just use the standard Solvite mixed with water, never had a problem ever in 38 years. Putting a non woven paste the wall paper on this week with no problems at all. Mix it slightly thicker and away you go. I can understand mixing ready mixed into paste which may make it a bit stronger, but most papers wouldn't really need it.

4. stevio 62

stevio 62 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

we used to hang heavy muraspec in the wider widths with a 50/50 mix of flake and ready mixed, gave the paper a bit more slide but worked well, not really a paste the wall though.
    i tried to persuade the boss to wet the back of the vinyl and paste the wall, he would,nt have it though, said it was not the right way!
    would a been easier pasting wall with 48" wide vinyl though.!
    going back a bit when we did the bedrooms in the cumberland hotel in London we used a standard width vinyl, wet the backing and pasted the wall with a really heavy duty paste,
    i cant remember what paste was called, it came from italy with the paper, but it broke rollers applying it evenly, made a lovely job though.
    That was me first introduction to pasting the wall, by god you can hang a lot faster and cleaner that way.
    I wish all finish papers were paste the wall.

RonyT and Bobbones like this.
  5. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

We always found we had enough slip using the Muraspec RM pastes on the 52 inch wide vinyls, though we did thin them down a tad.
    You never had no comebacks? Good if you didn't :yes:

When did you work at the Cumberland?
    If memory serves me well, I was there cc '87/'88 doing some work in the reception area.
    I wanted to wash a few tools out and was directed down some stairs to a cleaners area. Opened the door and a black carpet of cockroaches scurried off into every nook and cranny. :scared:

6. stevio 62

Was about 84/85;I worked for a firm called Volworth ,a London firm called bren green bought us out, hence the London work.
    Volworth did carry on after this with two of the Fleetwood lads,Steve brown and Paul dicks under the name of voldec ,good deccies.
    I guess the Cumberland was going downhill then, fast.

7. mistcoat

Don't know the names, @stevio 62
    Good days up in town during the 80's. Most of my subbie time was spent in the 8sq mile.
    If I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have written a book. You too could have done the very same, no doubt!

8. stevio 62

A book, now that,s a thought...

9. mistcoat

What chapter are you up to? :biggrin:

10. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Confessions of a Window Cleaner
    Should have been Confessions of a Painter:winky:

mistcoat likes this.
  11. stevio 62

Just a thought, it would be a good way to turn a 30 minute dinnertime into a two hour one though...:yay:

mistcoat likes this.
  12. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Using wickes rm paste paddled up with help from the cyklone on some Marburg papers last week,Undiluted ,a little slip but not a lot,on saying that we are going over erfurt man new formula lining paper incidently i do not like their new formula it seems to take the edge of the blade real quick .On to the Italian papers in the next week or so

RonyT likes this.
  13. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I use the wallrock fibreliner tub paste.
    I would still have a table for full rooms.
    I Paste an area approx 1 1/2 sheets wide when doing paste the wall.

14. stevio 62

ive just hung some brian yates non woven with their own paste, cant be exact but its called 350 or summat like that.
    the paste is very heavy, i suppose for some of their papers it would be whats needed and applied with a spat, but what i hung was not to heavy so i let it down a good bit to get it on the wall, just to ease it a bit.
    the paper....?
    i know brian yates papers can cause a loss of sleep with some deccies, but what i hung was called felone, got to be honest and say this was good to hang, perfect butt joints and no blistering, only prob was you dont get much open time with the paste, you only get one chance with this stuff and it needs to be applied heavily to the wall.
    papers made in Belgium.
    with hindsight i should have coated the lining up with gardz, standard 1200 from dulux by the way.i did not see the point in non woven lining with this paper.
    85 notes a roll and worth every penny, lovely paper. all 19 rolls of it.thats two weeks wages...!
    ill put a pic up when im all done, im waiting for plumber to get rads for 2 walls and i need to lose the pattern where the rad is going, once he has the rads he can pipe em and i can get the skirts back on and be done
    and get paid and get away .
    i think the ho,s are getting a bit fed up of me now, its been 8 weeks on this job.

RonyT and mistcoat like this.
  15. Paul Sharratt

Paul Sharratt PPS Apprentice

I use albany yellow top with a spot water, it is expensive but I tend to buy 3 or 4 tubs when it’s on offer. I’ve use it on a range of non woven papers from Harliquin, Cole & sons to murals from little hands & photowall. It’s always work well with no issues. Agreed that it makes a difference giving it a good mix before use.