1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pictures are uploaded on their side?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by Daf, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Since all the Apple updates, my photos on this here forum, are being posted on the side, even though in my library, they are correct?
    Any ideas chaps?

2. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

You can lock / unlock portrait orientation when you take photo. Might be that locked the one way. I'm not an iPhones user. Maybe the gallery is showing them the correct way even though they are not when you upload.

3. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

The common cause for pics on their sides are generally because the files are to large, this also happens a lot on the freecycle sites as well.

4. Wayners

I use lit photo app (free) and compress to 30-35% here (android) but with iPhone don't most take screen shot of photo and use that. Seems crazy taking photo of a photo but easiest way to get smaller photo size on iPhone

5. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

What a faf, just edit and use the software supplied on the on the iPhone it’s simple.

6. Daf

I have, all my pictures are coming out as they should, when I upload to here, I use the iphones new compression and reduce the sizes from around 3.5mb to 800 kB and then upload, once uploaded onto here, it’s on its side?
    This is only on my phone not the iPad, I think it maybe the new update?

7. Daf

I just uploaded an old picture and it was correct, uploaded a very recent picture and it was in its side? So it’s something to do with the update? Grrrr

8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Not affected by the new update myself.
    But I do shrink my images down to 640 x 480 on the iPhone if I am off the PC using Image Sized app. Easy peasy app!

I'm on iOS 13.1.3

9. Daf

I’m 13.1.3 to iPhone XS
    I’ve looked everywhere on setting, just can’t figure why they have turned sideways?
    As you can see!

Attached Files:

10. Wayners

@Daf Quick read on the net, it was suggested to turn phone to the side and take picture with your left thumb pushing the volume up. This lets the phone know how you are holding phone and set the EFIF data correct. Are you using the original camera app?

11. Wayners

@Daf You are turning phone 90 degrees to landscape ?

Like this [​IMG]

12. Daf

No mate, something has happened since update?

13. Daf

I read this to but it will then landscape my photos, as for the app, I just unlock the phone and take a picture, I don’t use any camera app, is that what you mean?

14. Daf

The top picture is what we both read @Wayners
    The bottom is the phone held upright

Attached Files:

15. Wayners

@Daf Yeah thats correct,Hold on side. Take photo in landscape. Think some photos on some services will flip photo so it looks correct but not this site. I take photos by holding phone in landscape. Always have. Video in portrait used to be a nightmare to view as flipped on the side...Not now though as been sorted

16. Daf

That’s just so weird! I have always took photos with the phone upright, never landscape.
    I was going to completely reset the phone, but I’m about to spray and I need the phone, I don’t want to be sodding about with it all day :facepalm:
    Thanks for your time @Wayners
    And thanks to everyone that has tried to help
    :thumbsup:

17. Wayners

I'm sure you can set it to take photos in landscape no matter which way you hold phone....just means you can't take horizontal picture

18. Daf

I’ve looked everywhere on the settings, I’m pretty converse with the iPhone ( had them since they came out) and I just cannot see anywhere that particular setting is?
    Unless someone here know, I’ll be intrigued to know myself!

19. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I believe to have the best photos for the web and websites, landscape holding all the way!

20. Daf

A806E3A5-E507-45D2-9606-9BCC11712AE7.jpeg

Just sprayed this, so took a landscape picture, so it’s landscape it’ll have to be...

Waynetta likes this.