1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic buckets

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by Welsh Decorator, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

How come, given that that scrap plastic is similar in price to metal is there no plastic bucket collections?

I have heard about wheelie bins being taken due to the price of HDPE plastic, so why not empty paint tub's? :scratchhead:

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Crown take your plastic cans back as well as metal cans. But don't they charge your account £0.10p per can???

3. Welsh Decorator

Not a clue! nobody seems to advertise it as a service? or is it just me going blind????? :scratchhead:

4. Mistina

Mistina PPS Time Served

This is a trial run at certain stores, not without problems the last I heard for example cans not being cleaned out, I will try and find out more if you like?

5. Welsh Decorator

It would be interesting to know, not just Crown and what they will or wont take, but the stores in general.

I reckon that there is an opportunity going to waste here?

6. mistcoat

:omg:
    What is wrong with these decs?
    Don't they realise there is probably on average at least a full wall cut in on what is usually left at the bottom of a can.

I'd whip their butts if they left that in my cans to give back :biggrin:
    That is all money they are throwing away :headwall:

7. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

I got into the habit of putting the lid back on tinted colours and writing the room on the lid so the fat bit at the bottom could be used to spot in any damage

8. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

All Crown stores take back empty tins as long as it's their brands & the tins are empty they are supposed to charge - I never did

9. mistcoat

Do the same, mike.

I haven't been charged as yet from various Crown centres I've left tins at :thumbsup:

I keep saying tins. Must get in the habit of saying cans. Plastic can't be tins, can it? :scratchhead:

10. Mistina

Mistina PPS Time Served

FACT: There is a can back scheme in place at various locations which is 35 out of the 111 network of CDC's and is free of charge. The metal or plastic cans of any size have to be returned dry with lids off, no rubbish and these are then placed in a cage which is periodically uplifted and recycled. It is hoped that this will eventually roll out to all stores in the future.

11. mistcoat

That's why I have never been charged then, Misty.

Good job my Crown is in Gillingham. If it was in my town it would be the pikey's doing the uplifting and not a crown collection lorry. They do like a bit of metal the old chavs :whistle:

12. CraigBrooksDecorating

CraigBrooksDecorating PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

DDC take back any akzo nobel paint cans - plastic or metal. But you have to register first and then pay 35p per can.

Brewers will take any brand but metal tins only and again charge 35p

My local Crown will take their own cans back off me for free, though they don't technically have this service at this store.

At all places I've never had to take off lids or be dry - just empty
    [hr]
    Ha! Sorry just realised how old this thread is! Must keep up!

13. MrHarriDec

MrHarriDec PPS Master Craftsman

A few years ago we were on a site where there was loads of gangs of different painters. All the gangs put their empties in the same place and once a week they would get taken down to DDC to be recycled. But then they stopped taking them as someone had done a poo in one, which was discovered when the lid was opened in store. :hysterical:

14. steveh

steveh PPS Master Craftsman

It wasn't Dulux Durable Matt was is coz that is Chit:biggrin:

15. steveh

I meant Diamond Duhhh!!

16. MrHarriDec

Sometimes you have to use a Vladimir (poo-tin)

17. steveh

:hysterical::hysterical: Comrade Lewis you will end up in a Gulag ..look what happened to pussy riot:biggrin:

18. Ngeraghty

Ngeraghty PPS Master Craftsman

Or a paint kettle then covered in sand and into the skip pronto

Not me of course but a "mate" :blush:

19. MrHarriDec

Why bother with the sand? Or even the kettle? Just poo straight into the skip.

20. Ngeraghty

Ngeraghty PPS Master Craftsman

It was bloody freezing outside and "he" couldn't drag the skip inside could "he":whistle: