1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic buckets

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by Welsh Decorator, Jan 5, 2012.

1. charliebudd

charliebudd PPS Master Craftsman

Dirty metal is much easier to recycle than dirty (paint covered) plastic. You just have to chuck the metal into a blast furnace and all the paint burns off - but with plastic it would need cleaning off in order to recycle the plastic.

2. ForestRecyclingProject

ForestRecyclingProject PPS Apprentice Vendor

We have a massive issue with excess plastic pots. Other than crown is there anywhere else that would take plastic pots free or paid in London?

3. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Don't know :no:

But if you have 10lt tubs cleaned out, it may interest you to know that one of my mates who usually got to run big jobs as well as my Dad, used to collect all the 10lt tubs from the blokes, clean them up on site and then flog them down the local market for £0.50p ea as great little storage tubs for the kids Lego, Meccano and toy soldiers etc.

Food for thought p'raps :dunno:

4. rowland cutting

rowland cutting PPS Master Craftsman

if the paint companys were made to charge a 50 pence refundable deposit on the tins
    a lot of the tins would get returned to be recycled

5. Dan Baker

Dan Baker PPS Tradesman

As long the buckets are clean (or brushed/wiped out at least) my local recycling centre takes them in the general plastic waste. They used to watch like a hawk, but they know me now. Gather a stack and take them in...

I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be the case elsewhere.

6. lone furrow

lone furrow Angel of the East

TBH its about time the dec centres had their best selling matt white's on tap so we can just walk in and fill up our empty tubs. That way they can strain all the f*****G lumps & bits out themselves before we get it, and reduce the amount of used once tubs going to waste.

Dont think it will ever happen but good pie in the sky idea :scratchhead:,

Michael O Connor likes this.
  7. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I don't think it's pie in the sky at all, they do the same for milk elsewhere in Europe. It'd would be about £1.50 - £2.00 off the normal price I imagine.

8. lone furrow

Thanks Puma, and of coarse not forgetting the pub trade have been doing it since time begun, its a bit different with paint though or is it? If 10litre tubs were tapered like flower pots to stack inside each other I would be more than happy to clean out and re-fill. Not sure the centres would want to go to the expense of the machinery involved though, oh well we can live in hope, one day maybe.

9. 40Grit

40Grit PPS Tradesman

What a great idea. :notworthy:

I'd never thought of that. You could clean out your old 10L tubs yourself. Insist the paint is strained out of the tap and off you go. No waste. Clean paint. What's not to like?

I guess one problem is there are so many different types of paint. I don't like vinyl on ceilings (for example). Whereas the next guy would insist on it etc etc.

And it must be a lot less labour intensive to have a big paint tanker driving around with the driver filling up the paint vats (just like a petrol tanker). Rather than loading and unloading pallets of 10L tubs on and off lorries with forklifts etc and then displaying them in the shop.

10. dimmaz88

dimmaz88 PPS Master Craftsman

It's a method that can be used for lots of things, it's not done because they loose all the advertising from the packaging.

It could be used for milk, coffee, cereals anything like that. It would be a nightmare with the amount of choice though.

11. Dellboy

Dellboy PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

OR

The customer would be charged an extra £1 for every tin and they would still taken down the dump with all my other stuff, I'm lucky,my local tip will take anything and doesn't charge me even with the van.

12. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

It's a nice idea but they won't do it for the simple reason they won't want to give quality guarantee when they have no control over the container the paint is going in. Imagine having a failure and going back for a refund? They would simply pass blame back to you for not cleaning the container out properly.

13. lone furrow

So nothing would change there then gp,:no:...........

A quality guarantee on their own paint sold in their own containers from their own stores, now that really would be too much to expect.

14. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

It would be a start eh? :smile:

15. 40Grit

40Grit PPS Tradesman

Good point.

"Unfortunately due to the variables and increased likelihood of contamination when using previously used paint tubs we are not able to guarantee the quality of our product once it is dispensed......"

Etc et-bloody-cetera. :smash: