1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPS and Facebook?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by Welsh Decorator, May 19, 2011.

1. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

Yeah, that is the thing, this place is only 18 months old, like any business, we don't want  to grow too quickly, good solid foundations are key before expanding.

2. lee decor

lee decor PPS Tradesman

Aggie I was going to post similar yesterday, saying it would kinda lower the tone of the forum if we did. Not being a member of  :spew: fb myself & thinking I would get shot down by everyone I decided not to lol glad you have mentioned it now, anyways thats my thoughts on the matter.
    The choice Timmy.......... is all yours  :thumbsup:

3. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

All for slowly, nice little place this, no realy, been a few and nowt but... well you can guess, my thought was to give us a wider presence, not idiots and adverts! perhaps I should said more sooner?  :sad:

4. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

I was thinking more of the photos

you can set pages to complete privacy so people cant view the content without you adding them as friends, so we wouldnt get streams of people wanting to join, & you could choose to only add people you already know off here.

I like the photo album facility on FB - & you can allow friends to post pics on there, so it wouldnt all be down to Tim, for me I love looking through all your pics & like to revisit them & having them in an album formatt would be super.

5. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Now you mention it Aggie,i agree with you. This place is not exclusive but we could end up with alot of undesirables on here. :yes:

6. TradeDecoratingSupplies

totally agree with maintaining a standard....we are all the dogs danglies  :girlcool:

:lol:

no offence to em, but we wouldnt want a load of DIY-ers sneaking on or heaven forbid trolls

7. RCP

RCP PPS Tradesman Bar Member

Seems to me PPS is happy being a small, elite group of pros, which I think is a good thing. Aggie mentioned FB opening it up and he is right, If you want to spread the word and get more traffic for pps, FB Page would do that. I think that would ruin PPS.
    Sounds like a http://www.facebook.com/groups would be best for PPS. You could control it, use it to share jobs/photos, each others FB Pages. It might take traffic away from PPS, but since you don't advertise, and the same folks will still be chatting together......

8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Chris, as always, your input is welcomed and taken on board  :yes:

9. Aggie

Hi Chris,
    I am glad that you  & some of the posts before you, seem to agree. I think we are looking for quality here & not quantity. Great to have the traffic, but what for? we are not selling anything!!

When our dear late friend - Pete [Tooled-up} set this place up, he was determined to make this place for painting & decorating professionals to come here, share experiences & knowledge with each other & without been clouded by external irritations.

This was not for selfish reasons or because he felt  he wanted to create an elitist's' club :no: He wanted to raise the standards & the bar of our glorious craft, which would not be dogged with infidels & philistines out for their own ends.
    I think the thing that sets this place apart, from other forums, is the commitment of the members to participate & throw something back into the pot, so that other like minded members can benefit, this is what a forum is for.

This is the crux...........we are all like minded to a certain degree & that is what makes this place special. It is because of this, we don't want a wide audience of infidels permeating into here & stealing all our hard earned knowledge without putting meaningful information back in.

Notwithstanding....the above, Tim, myself & Nathan have tried to stay true to Pete's original concept for this forum & it is that flag which I certainly, shall be flying.

10. RCP

RCP PPS Tradesman Bar Member

I totally agree, when I used "elite", I meant that in the best way. We have had this conversation before about who this site (and others) are for, every different one has a different need. I love reading the stories you guys tell and reading the job descriptions, although I don't understand all of it! :scratchhead:
    You folks have a good thing going here! :notworthy:

11. Aggie

We do becasue of people like you :kiss:

12. Geecee

Geecee PPS Time Served

Hi Aggie

Being new here I am just glad to have a read and contribute where I can..

I must say I hate FB myself , I dont use it personally and still find it hard to understand how it is so usefull for businesses. It ok to upload some pictures to but thats about it in my opinion...

I probably come in the category of lowering the bar! But I think its a great thing to have a site like this so thanks for the hard work you guys have put in

greg

13. Aggie

Yeah, thanks Greg.
    I opened up a tw@tter account to see what all the fuss is about - what a load of old completely useless crap that is - I promptly deleted my account.
    I was being spammed to 'follow' someone who was a member there - why?
    ' I am making a coffee' 'The kettle has boiled' 'bought some new shoes today' 'had a schitt' 'phoned my mate' 'LOL'

Complete bolocks. Also, 1000 friends:hysterical: who follow me:hysterical: that is just too funny.

I'd rather be dead:beathorse:

14. TradeDecoratingSupplies

Then you're following the wrong people Aggie, you can whittle it down so don't have to read crap, I follow quality people like acmaster painter, welsh decorator, colour republic, painterspitstop, jackpauhl, leesdecor, handy painter, spectrum decor - that's just a few of the members off here, i certainly don't find their posts crap, so maybe you didn't give it a fair chance and get to learn the good aspects of it, acmaster painters sig line pretty sums it up if used in the correct manner.

15. handypainter

handypainter PPS Master Craftsman

Personally, I use Twitter for business. Ok, I may tweet about the odd personal bollocks, but generally it's business use to contacts that are in the trade, that i've never met and probably never will. It's very handy for quick responses, unlike forums, and generally very positive. Very easy way for tweeters in your area to contact you for business.

You may want to review the way you use Twitter Aggie, the same way i've had to review using this forum :whistle:

16. tomthepainter

tomthepainter PPS Time Served

not got me head round twitter or facebook yet. Bit pointless sitting there typing i have just had a poop or what ever.

Rather sit with the wife :omg:

17. TradeDecoratingSupplies

cant ever recall any of the members from here posting stuff like that, it keeps me up to date with acmaster painters blog as well

18. andyrolls

andyrolls PPS Craftsman

i read that as s**t with the wife:eek:mgblink: