1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Property Conversion 2017

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Colour Republic, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

As some of you from the 'Club House' section of the forum this is a project that's been in the pipeline for the last 4-5 months. Late last week we finally exchanged and my clients took ownership of the property.

It's currently a cafe/nightclub with permission to turn in to a 4 bed house, 4 storey house. So going to be in to this one for the long haul. Estimated to hopefully take around the 9 month mark, with a contingency of 3 months.

So decided to try and keep a bit of an online diary if anybody is interested in following the progress.

The idea is to strip it back to almost its original shell and start again.

The property was originally built in 1902. And after spending some time at the local branch of the National archives, I discovered it was actually designed by a very famous architect who is responsible for many of Brighton's Landmark buildings. The building has lost some of it's finer exterior details, but the plan is to try and reinstate these to something of its former glory. More on that later, but for now the architects were 'Clayton & Black' who you can read a bit about here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_&_Black Like I say some of the buildings they did are some of the most famous in Brighton & Hove.

May as well start with a quick tour of the ground floor and basement and just a few pointers as to what they will become...

The exterior as we turned up on day 1. As mentioned above the idea is to reinstate some of the original mouldings as it was in 1902.

1s.jpg

Here are the original architect plans
    1902fronts.jpg

Ground floor cafe and bar. This will become the main lounge (the stairs will be going as no longer needed) 2s.jpg

3s.jpg

Ground floor cafe room 2. This will become a office library / bedroom 4 (maybe with a pull down wall bed) at the moment i'm thinking I might panel the walls in here.

5s.jpg

4s.jpg

Through to the main hall and cloakroom. This is going to be opened up to how it was laid out originally, so far more grand.

6s.jpg

7s.jpg

This is the current commercial kitchen, which is under the staircase above and is actually part of the main hallway. So this will be lost and reinstated as a hallway again

8s.jpg

and lastly on the ground floor. This is currently a covered courtyard. But we are going to make it open to the elements and turn it in to open court yard with possibly some seating complete with spikey plants, nice lighting and will lead up to the main entrance (as the front entrance to the cafe/new lounge, will be lost).

9s.jpg

kirk likes this.
  2. Colour Republic

On to the basement which is currently a night club.

These are 2 WC's which will be knocked together and mostly likely become a wetroom to serve bedroom 4

10s.jpg

Now in to the main nightclub. This is going to be a large kitchen diner with snug area too. With a bit of luck we're going to try and install some sections of glass floor from the floor above to let in some natural light.

11s.jpg

12s.jpg

13s.jpg

I've already done an initial design for this and should be something like this...

k1s.jpg

k2s.jpg

k3s.jpg

Lastly for the basement. another back room which will become the utility. In addition you can't see it but there are some under road arches which will house a plant room for hot water, boiler ect.

14s.jpg

3. Colour Republic

So that's it for day 1. I'll try and upload the 1st and 2nd floors later or tomorrow.

But back to the front of the building. Sheeted out the windows to keep things under wraps from the locals. But wonder if anybody has got any bright ideas for exterior colours? I need to make it look less like a commercial property, partly with some changes i'm going to make to the windows, but also with colour. Need something dramatic, not going to play it safe on this one... so this is how it looks now...

15s.jpg

But given i'm going to reinstate some of the original moldings i'm thinking something really quite dark . Maybe something along these lines. Especially as i'm thinking of turning the little recess at the front in to a little sunken garden area with teak and architectural green plants which I think look great against an anthracite background. What do you think? Or rather what would you do colour wise as really open to ideas here.

extidea1.jpg

4. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looking forward to seeing how the project develops
    when will the strip out begin?

Colour Republic likes this.
  5. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I like anthracite but think it will be to much all over ,the front ,

Colour Republic likes this.
  6. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Will be watching with great interest. I'm liking the dark gray and black for exterior. Everyone's different though.

Buckers and Colour Republic like this.
  7. Colour Republic

Stripping out at the moment @siwel . Bought the place with all contents so currently going through it all, taking out anything of value that can be sold on... commercial catering equipment, some sound system, CCTV, PC's etc etc. Some other bits might be reused like some of the nicer light fittings etc. But will only be used if it fits the scheme rather than using them for the sake of it.

Walls are starting to get knocked through in the morning :winky:

8. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

stupid question I know
    Have you got a programme of ?or is it all in your head
    we all know things might change as wall come down
    one thing that caught me out back in 93 in my other life [break from p&d]
    was I measured up for all the steel support beams as support work was going on and walls were programmed in for knocking through,[ a large four story building in dover]
    steels on site within a week, cutting out for pads for steels to sit on, all the walls were lath and plaster over solid brickwork and I had not checked , steels were short 100mm 50mm each end, I assumed 25mm of plaster over solid brickwork and measured thus:cry:

9. Colour Republic

Not a stupid question at all mate.

In short, no I don't have a programme to start with, but that is by design rather than just winging it and there is good reason.

Basically the property was sold with planning permission for conversion, in addition it has planning for a small extension on the top floor. However the architects plans that were submitted are basic outline plans rather than detailed or any structural calcs done. So clearly these are going to be needed and it's me that will need to get them done.

These are the plans from the previous owner...

Basement & Groundfloor
    plans LG GF s.jpg

First and Second floor
    plans 1st 2nds.jpg

The new owners are previous clients of mine so i've been heavily involved in the purchase of this property and part of that was to ensure that what is being proposed is possible and the figures stack up. Part of that due diligence was to crawl all over the building and find out about its history.

As mentioned above I made a trip to the local National Archives and managed to track down the original architects plans. Which are here...
    Original 1904 Arcitect Plans Ss.jpg

The above plans have been invaluable and tells me a lot more of how the building was constructed. The plans along with me making inspection holes before the place was purchased, told me that some elements of the new proposed plans aren't possible, or rather would be disproportionately expensive. Don't get me wrong, they aren't useless, but some elements need revising.

With this in mind and considering very little, if anything of the interior is staying. I took the decision that we would strip the building right back to its shell before getting any revised plans or calcs done. It is a slightly slower process but it is also the safest. That way we can see exactly what we are dealing with so no mistakes can be made and also we don't need to over engineer something because of being cautious. So in the long run cheaper.

There is plenty to be getting on with in any case, so shouldn't slow us down doing it that way. But once I know what the end goal is, then i'll prepare a full schedule of works :winky:

10. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

A superb project for you to get your teeth into.
    Like our other mates here, I cannot wait for update on this project. I may even pop my head in when I visit that way soon as my daughter may be studying in Brighton.
    Perhaps Craig's better half Helen @BenjaminMooreUK might like to offer you some colour choices. As long as you use Aura Exterior :winky:

11. Colour Republic

Sure there will be some Benny Moore in there somewhere.

At the moment i'm leaning towards...

Walls - LG intelligent matt
    Ceilings - Was thinking about Mylands but thinking I might opt for something more cost effective. want ultra matt finish and it's going to be sprayed more than likely
    Woodwork - BM Advanced
    Exterior - This will depend a lot on which colour we go for. if something really dark , then going to want something self cleaning to a certain degree. Don't want it to look like a chalky mess in 24 months with all the salt deposits from the sea air. Although this property isn't in direct line of fire of coastal winds, even though it is less then 400 meters from the sea

tjbelfield and mistcoat like this.
  12. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I tell you what, the BM ceiling paint (if you haven't tried it) is the bizzo, especially if you are after a real nice ultra flat finish.

Good idea on the self cleaning masonry. Johnstone's did/do one though I have never tried it. May be worth looking into.
    And if Sandtex do lighthouses, that may well be another good option :smile:

13. Colour Republic

I've used quite a fair bit of Sandtex extreme exposure over the years given where I live, and really like it, but I haven't used in really dark colours... correction, i've only ever used really dark colours of it to pick out details, rather than a whole building when rapid weathering is really noticeable.

A few years back I spec'd a job with self-cleaning paints, think it might have been Keim product:think: but I never won the job so never got to do it... think I started a thread on here at the time, so will go digging.

When the time comes and if it is dark, then more than likely i'll start a thread to get some feedback from those that have used something in a very similar situation and see how its faired for members here :winky:

mistcoat likes this.
  14. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

Agree with Mr P on ceiling paint for a matt finish, I don't think anything touches it. Iv used a long pile roller on a poor ceiling to hide the defects and it looked sprayed.

Bobbones and mistcoat like this.
  15. tjbelfield

I can see a claim going in on them stairs Rob :shocked:

16. Colour Republic

I know what you guys mean. I used to really like Mythics ceiling paint as that had a beautiful finish. But i'm thinking given the size of areas that need covering and just how high most of the ceilings are, i'm going to try and source something more cost effective. I'm not talking contract matt cheap! but cheaper than most premium paints. The basement ceiling is normal height and is quite vast, so might opt for a dedicated ceiling paint there, as more light critical give the shallow viewing angles

17. Colour Republic

Which ones? the new ones in the basement?

k1s.jpg

There are no stairs in that location at the moment but don't worry they won't be that open! going to either opt for a glass banister, or do something similar to a job that one of my pals did with a bookcase enclosing it

dan1s.jpg

I'm not that reckless with customers lives! Although to be fair if it was my own place I would leave open and take the risk:blush:

Peter Humphreys and Buckers like this.
  18. tjbelfield

Arrh sorry I thought the white feature at the back was some funky stairs with no rail! :facepalm:

19. Colour Republic

They are mate!

Basically it will be a new set of stairs to connect the lounge on the ground floor and the basement kitchen/diner. But there will be a rail of sorts, I just didn't include one in the cad render I did :winky:

tjbelfield likes this.
  20. tjbelfield

Bloody ell I felt a Burk then, thought it was a fancy design after you said :whistle: