1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Property Conversion 2017

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Colour Republic, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

At least no one gets the tap end Stevy
    Bath plug may end up a butt plug though.

stevy likes this.
  2. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Where I come from people pay extra for that Son :winky:

3. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Rob, please return to edit "come for" to "come from".

Or you may get into trouble [​IMG]
    Taste the Rainbow and all that!

4. Colour Republic

Just a little update on something i've been working on today. Which is the design for the Office / Occasional 4th Bedroom.

Still playing around with it and I think i'm going to panel the walls, but have got a initial design done.

This is the room in question at the start of the job which is on the ground floor...

4s.jpg

5s.jpg

and here's what i'm thinking...

Clayton Office Bed Idea s.jpg

Pull down wall bed...
    Clayton Office Bed Idea1 s.jpg

Clayton Office Bed Idea2 s.jpg

Clayton Office Bed Idea3 s.jpg

Clayton Office Bed Idea4 s.jpg

Clayton Office Bed Idea5 s.jpg

bagshot, tjbelfield, Buckers and 4 others like this.
  5. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Very nice too, do like panels

6. Teho

Teho PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

is this a cad drawing ?

7. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Love the drop down bed. Cool idea. Like the blue cupboards. You will need a a decent joiner chippie for that room.
    Get oil based oxtex mixed to the blue if ur r painting it and an xvlp..just looking at that from bare mdf makes my arm want to fall off..

Colour Republic and mistcoat like this.
  8. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I have a major soft spot for panelling, looks mega in the right room. Not too sure on that shade of blue tho mate, is that the one you will be using? Think a tad deeper will look better

9. mistcoat

As above and,,, I am also falling in love with the woodwork the same colour or a shade either side of the walls nowadays. Looks really fine!

Colour Republic and Buckers like this.
  10. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Liking that room a lot.
    All my life I've been a white woodwork fan, loved the distinction between the walls and wood but the last couple of years I'm really coming round to coloured woodwork!
    Ps don't know what program you've done that on but it looks incredible!

11. Colour Republic

Little update on this one.

Been on a bit of a go slow at the moment as we iron out some planning issues and final specs, but pretty much there on that, so hopefully in the next week or so it will be full steam head.

Thought it might be easier to do a little short video as might be easier to work out the layout. The video starts on the 1st floor, well technically it's the 1st and 2nd but we've removed the second floor completely as we are rebuilding it...

but yeah, hopefully you get an idea.:thumbup:

12. Buckers

Can't access the video mate.
    looking forward to seeing your progress.

Colour Republic likes this.
  13. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Mine says private video....it's not one of these subscriptions ones with 'big' Linda giving us the tour, is it?

14. Colour Republic

what a numpty! video should be working now :winky:

15. Colour Republic

Yeah it a cad package called Articad I bought 3 or 4 years ago . It's not cheap as I paid about £2.5k for it, then about £400 a year for updates, it's specifically for the KBB industry.

The renders above are a bit 'flat' because it's still the draft idea, but if you play around with it you can get them really life like.

This is what they look like with a bit more work and when I present them to clients
    Visual 1.jpg

but if you spend the time they can look even better, this is what can be done by the pro users (but i'm not there yet...

ArtiCAD_Attic_conversion_bedroom_700_x_460.jpg

16. Buckers

That's incredible, the 1st photo is good but you can tell it's a manufactured picture, but the 2nd one, wow, that is worth its weight in gold to someone doing the full refits like yourself.
    Client agrees to the picture and there can't be any quibbles on either side if it doesn't look the same upon completion!
    Big outlay though so it needs to work!

17. Colour Republic

It does really help, I know of countless times someone has gone with us because of the quality of the cad drawings. It's much easier for clients to 'see' what you've got in mind and help picture themselves living in the space, as opposed to a competitor who might have just described the design or given them a low quality 1d render. So as expensive as it was, I have to admit its paid for itself countless times.

That said it can be a curse! The software does have some limitations, whilst I can produce a render that is 90% accurate as to what it will look like, there can be some small details that just aren't possible to produce in the render, or at least not without a shed load of work. For example the software has about 10 different styles of skirting, so you might choose one that is close to what you're thinking but doesn't represent it 100%, then after you finish the customer might pick you on this small detail "ohh I thought we were getting that one like in the picture". Because it's so life like, they pick out tiny details.... I've never actually had someone pick me up on skirting before as I normally show them a sample, but you get the idea. There are somethings you maybe wouldn't show them a sample of and then they pick it out after.

Buckers likes this.
  18. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

like it mate,:thumbsup:
    In the video needs some temporary hand rails fitted mate before you have a claim.:thumbup:

mistcoat likes this.
  19. Colour Republic

Funny you should mention that.

That whole area has just been infilled, there was another staircase there which was pretty much back to back with the other one. And we'd just removed the wall which separated the 2.

Anyway to the point. The current labourer hasn't been in the building game long but he's keen, a grafter, not stupid and a nice bloke to boot. So tomorrow i've tasked him with building a temporary banister, I've given him instructions, given him a drawing and off he'll go. I'm using it as experience for him, I want him to really try and get it as accurate as possible. So his measuring, cutting square, leveling, spacing, fixing etc etc. I don't care if it takes him all day. It will be useful come later in the build, especially his measuring which I want spot on.

To a certain extent it won't be easy as he'll be de-nailing and using old 4x2 we've ripped out, so never going to look beautiful, but perfect to practice on.

Waynetta likes this.
  20. mistcoat

That's looking different now, Rob.
    Do you see much of the clients?

Nice to hear a bit choice language going on as per site work :lol:

Peter Humphreys likes this.