1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Property Conversion 2017

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Colour Republic, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

See the clients every 3 weeks or so. Not much for them to get involved with at the moment.

Which choice language? Him saying "it's a gnats fart out"? :hysterical:

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I'm sure I heard him say c u next Tuesday :biggrin:

Listen at 1:18 :hysterical:

3. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

It made me blush Tim!

mistcoat likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam PPS Tradesman

The video should come with an 18 rating!

5. Peter Humphreys

Oh! I Think it was the radio.... that popular quiz Fact Hunt.

6. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

7. Colour Republic

I keep meaning to sit down and write a proper update, then realise I haven't got updated pics to go with it. So I go and take updated photos... then don't have time to write the update!!

I will try and got a proper update. It's all been a bit slow moving as had to get architects plans redrawn, then structural engineers to do there bit, then building regs. It's just been one moutain of paperwork at the moment!.

This week we broke through the ground floor concrete floor for a new staircase. All went quite well until the last piece. oops!

8. Peter Humphreys

Was he traumatised? I would be elated after punching through that lot!

9. Colour Republic

Poor little thing twisted his wrist on the last swing on the sledge hammer.

The slab was just over 8sqm and 9 inches thick, so around 4.5 tons in total. We had originally had the scaffold tower set up underneath and were taking it down in a controlled manner in chunks just about the size of 2-3 breeze blocks. I had planned to use the petrol disc cutter, but quickly knocked that on the head due to the dust and fumes it was going to create. So instead we stitch cut it with a 25mm drill bit and sledge hammered it out. Even when stitch cutting it every few mm between holes, it still took quite a bit of force the hammer it. So on the last bit before the steel I thought we'd use the concretes shear weight to help things along.

IMG_1065s.jpg

I haven't settled on the design of the staircase yet, but it will be a wood/metal/glass mix. Something along these lines i'm thinking.

9fde8238a405d36838c388f763677e03--modern-stair-railing-staircase-railings.jpg

Hopefully I should be able to do it relatively cheap. One of my mates who used to work for me is a fully fledged blacksmith with his own workshop, so he'll do the metal. I'll make the treads, which at the moment looks like it will be walnut to match the flooring going down and then my brother has a double glazing factory, so he'll supply the glass. Happy days.

10. Peter Humphreys

See .... it's not what you know necessarily, it's who you know. Will they be giving mates rates Rob ?:winky:

11. Colour Republic

errrr... kind of!

At the end of the day it's business. I don't expect 'mates rates' or any special favours, that's reserved for when it's your own home. This is business and I expect them to make a profit.

But I do expect a 'good' rate.

Basically I don't expect them to lose money by doing my job instead of someone elses. So it can wait and fit in when they've got the slack.

Peter Humphreys likes this.
  12. Colour Republic

So a few little updates...

Unfortunately we aren't as far ahead as we would have like to have been, mainly because we're been held back by others and a mountain of paperwork. It's been quite a long process to get architects plans redrawn, then structural engineers, building control, not to mention Brighton parking office and Southern Gas who have to move a neighbours gas meter which is technically on our site. Essentially we've done what we can that we known is over and above current regs, but other areas we need to get certain specs and designs signed off.

For example we are using various types of insulation, again we have over spec'd it because the property is to have a very high level of sound proofing and part of that system is the acoustic insulation that will fill the walls. So whilst it goes over and above the sound qualities needed it also has to meet the thermal properties needed. On a technical level, I know it does, but because it's not the norm I still have to get the building inspector to give his OK, or we run the risk of carrying out work they may make us change. Just to get to the point of the building inspector being on site has been a long slog.

In addition we going over and above on the fire measures. From day 1 the plan was to install a concealed sprinkler system in many areas, which in itself has taken a lot of designing as the ceilings contain a lot of items which need to work around each other given the limited space. For example in the basement we've got 3 different types of lighting, ceiling speakers, the central heating, the hot and cold secondary loops, drop down projector screen, semi concealed projector, sound proofing, sprinkler system, not to mention steels holding the building up! Trying to get all these planned around each other is no easy task! But we're nearly there.

Anyway....

So starting with the living room...

In here we've blocked up a door which is no longer going to be used. Created a new double door opening. On some walls we've used a metal lining system so we could level up the walls perfectly and is part of the sound proofing system. First fix electric have gone in.

living1.jpg

In the above picture we also planned a fake chimney breast to install a recessed TV and fireplace under. Originally I want to install a flueless fire, however all the flueless fires I looked at are just to small for the room, so will get lost. Then looked at flued and power flued fires, this whilst technically possible, was going to be just too problematic and have a negative effect in the upstairs bedrooms. So instead we're going to go for a bio ethanol fire ,which will allow us to get the look we're going for but nice and easy to incorporate.

It's not exactly like this, but also isn't a million miles away from what it will look like.
    a3c96733b2335fef023d6c85dd3f53fa.jpg

On the back wall we've built a cupboard to support the stairs, this will house all the Sonos units which will drive the multi-room audio system throughout the property. Then to the left of that will be building a large bookcase

living2.jpg

The bookcase is designed quite closely to this...

03-bw-arch-est.jpg

Lastly in the living room we've punched through the concrete floor for a new staircase to directly connect the living room with the large kitchen diner in the basement. The staircase will be a mix of wood, metal and glass. The door at the front of the room will be going and replaced with a large sash window.

living3.jpg

13. Colour Republic

Here's a little project from yesterday...

Originally I had planned to leave all the under road arches open but on reflection it was going to be dead space. There are other storage spaces around the property but not really enough for the size of the property. So decided to close most of them off to provide that extra storage, in total it should be similar in size to a double garage.

So this is how it looked after clearing the basement...

base1.jpg

Then all the arches were damp proofed with a tanking slurry. After this I closed off most of the arches which will have cupboard doors installed, these will be plain faced and painted in with the walls. The idea is to just have a shadow gap around them so it doesn't look like a wall of doors.

base2.jpg

But the last smallest arch I've decided to keep open and install what will hopefully be a large wine rack. Not got the design down fully yet, but should be something quite nice looking.

I was quite keen to keep the arched ceiling, but I do have to insulate it to meet building regs. And so set about creating an arched former to allow that to happen.

This is how it started out with the original bricked ceiling

arch1.jpg

And this was the process of making an MDF arched former to mimic that ceiling (and extending it out further)...

First off I knew that I needed an arch that was around 200mm higher in the center than at the point it dips and meets the walls. So to get this arch and be able to recreate it multiple times, i need to make a simple jig for marking out. I did this with a scrap piece of MDF. First drilling a hole for a screw to create a pivot point, then drilling a hole to hold a pencil for marking.

arch2.jpg

I knew I need to drop the ceiling by 120mm, so then it was a simple case of marking down the central line every 120mm to give me my pivot points and marking out the arched shape over and over again consistently .

arch3.jpg

I needed to hold all these formers together and opted to do this with 3x2. The slots for the timber then needed to be marked out.

arch4.jpg

Now just a simple task of cutting them all out

arch5.jpg

All done

arch6.jpg

Now to get them in place

arch7.jpg

Then fix them all together with 3x2 central support

arch8.jpg

14. Colour Republic

All done ready for flexible plasterboard

arch9.jpg

Waynetta, siwel, Buckers and 2 others like this.
  15. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

That looks a bit tight even for flexi board , good luck with that.:winky:
    I think you can get down to 500mm radis
    look forward to finished ceiling:yes:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  16. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

All I will say is: You don't do things by half, Rob :notworthy:

That is going to be some smart property once you and the gang have finished!

17. Colour Republic

I know I said the center is 200mm higher than at the sides which might have confused things, but the arch isn't a full semi-circle. The actual radius of the curve is 795mm (The distance between between my pivot point and pencil on the scrap piece of MDF).

6mm Glasroc (which is what i'll be using) will bend to 600mm radius, although will go more like you say, with gentle persuasion and swearing.

But if you want really tight curves then you can use flexible tile backer boards which are designed for curved moasic tiled walls and these will go down to 90mm radius. They can also be plastered.:thumbup:

JackoBoard-Flexo-Plus-CUT.jpg

EddieKavanagh, Buckers and siwel like this.
  18. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yes Rob , Nice one,
    when you are fitting the Glasroc you can hear it cracking and we all think it is going to break but it never will:think:

19. Colour Republic

In the late 90's I used to do a lot of office partitioning, so used glasroc a fair amount with curved walls.

That said, I have been a little optimistic with glasroc in the past. This one did break, but that because of the angles fanning out to flat. Worked out well in the end, but wonder if ful time spreads would have meshed instead.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

siwel and Peter Humphreys like this.
  20. Colour Republic

Hard to know where to start on this thread again. so much has happened, maybe i'll just start posting some bits... might not be in order of how they happened, but hey...

This was last month...

So on the top floor we're installing a complete new floor/level. This will be supported by a steel frame, the loads of which will be transferred through the building down to the basement. Sadly the existing steel it was going to be sitting on was just slightly under sized to take this new load. So basically we've had to install 2 new steels to take the current load the old steel is taking (mainly the 1st floor joists) which then frees it up to take the new load we will be placing on it.

First on the agenda was to install a new padstone, a stupidly over-sized one! Casting in situ would have been ideal, but sadly not possible. It was also a weird shape. So built a former and cast my own. I actually did this a few months back as I wanted it to cure properly and gain the required strength.

Built a former out of OSB, filled it with concrete, then set about the former with a large chisel attachment on an SDS drill. This creates vibration which removes any air and ensures the concrete is tightly compacted

padstone 1.jpg

padstone2.jpg

Now it might not look that big, but it is! We calculated the weight to be around 130kg

Considering the average padstone is around 20kg, getting in to place was always going to be fun!

It needed 4 of us just to get in place, it's easy enough to lift between that many but not easy to hold and shuffle around. So I decided to make it a bit easier.

I bolted some 9x2 timber joists to it with concrete bolts and strapped it for good measure. This gave each of us a handle as such

padstoneinstall1.jpg

Now the task of getting nearly 4 meter up in the air!

padstoneinstall2.jpg

We basically used some acros laid across the scaffold tower and slowly shimmied it up one level at a time.

Then it was a case of removing the last few bricks supporting the old steels so we could get it in place

padstoneinstall3.jpg

Finely in place. We slid it across the brickwork with a lot of effing and jeffing. Then raised it tightly under the steels using winbags. Amazing little things and surprising just how much weight they can lift. Then back filled the gap under with sand and cement

padstoneinstall4.jpg

part 2 to follow...

mistcoat and greenbank like this.