1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recycling White Spriit

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by helpful, Oct 27, 2015.

1. helpful

helpful PPS Time Served Vendor

What is the most popular and or effective method used today to dispose or recycle used / dirty white spirit these days?

2. Frosty

Frosty PPS Master Craftsman

I let any paint settle over couple of weeks then decant into another container to be used again. None really gets wasted/thrown away at all.

Michael O Connor likes this.
  3. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

If ive used white spirit to clean brushes out or so on I pore it into a old container and use it to clean out old metal paint kettles...when that fills with old paint I usually sieve it into another container and keep using to clean paint kettles with...non gets wasted that way.

4. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Haven't used oil based in quite a long time so no need for white spirit, I suppose that was the point of EU regs!

5. Jam Buster

Jam Buster PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You can add a splash of cellulose thinner every now n then to recycled w/spirit keeps it strength that way.

6. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I do all the above. Take the really dirty thick stuff to your local council run recycling centre. Ours as a specific area for old paint and dirty thinner etc.

7. rowland cutting

rowland cutting PPS Master Craftsman

if the customer has a pebble drive dig your heel in to the pebbles and make a hole
    fill with dirty white spirit and cover over with pebbles again

if no pebbled drive do similar thing in there flower bed

8. 40Grit

40Grit PPS Tradesman

I do the same. Goes into old white spirit bottles. Goes pretty clear with all the gunk in the base. I do a final clean with new white spirit and pour that into the old stuff.

For a final rinse to remove sticky residue I clean in "Clean Spirit"

9. bodgit and bolt

bodgit and bolt PPS Time Served

Took some to the tip the other day and they told me to just chuck it in with the unrecylable rubbish... Bit crap i thought. They did have a waste paint area tho and i got a free litre of msp! Lucky boy
    They did try to tale my bike off me tho, thought i was scrapping it !

10. Robbie uk

Robbie uk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Run it through some J cloth and it gets quite clean again.