1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remediation works

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by jimmyc, Apr 17, 2021.

1. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

Did a spot of distemper work the back end of last year. Although it doesn’t look high, trust me it was bloody high. I wasn’t comfortable with it! But i had to just get on with it. This is a national trust property I’ve been working on for quite some years, using the same method they would have hundreds of years ago.
    ---
    For some reason i can’t get the pictures to come out straight on my phone? So please excuse my poor effort :biggrin:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    Buckers, Robjames92, Samdex and 9 others like this.
  2. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Did you have to wash off the old distemper down?

Gary scott likes this.
  3. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

Only if it’s not sound, otherwise it’s re-coat. With this the distemper was unstable due to previous decorators not sealing any filler up before coating. Thus it was failing just after a year, it’s looking probable I’ll be back there next year to re do the whole lot

Tomcio, Gary scott and andyfloss like this.
  4. Tomcio

Thank you for the reply @jimmyc. What sort of distemper did you use and what sort was the existing one?
    I have limited knowledge but remember very well as that's how I started serving my time the trade, that every distemper job we did in 80's /90's began from complete washing off the old one allways.
    Re do after one year?

jimmyc likes this.
  5. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

This particular product was rose of Jericho soft distemper, it’s lovely to use,got a ton of body to it and heavy in pigment. This was previously stripped back to bare plaster by other contractors and started a fresh so to speak. It was a huge contract which lasted 5 years but other works were happening too in that time. But yep. They obviously didn’t have the right men on the job for this particular project? It was bumped to hill!! So it’s failing all over, but I’m not going to mention names etc ( for obvious reasons ) this kind of work is a lost art these days, and you get too many chancers unfortunately.

Of course back in the day you’d a washed it off and started again if you were say in a private house, but for conservation purposes you’re not allowed to do so. which is another matter all together, it takes a certain painter for jobs as such

6. Tomcio

I was taught on conservation jobs actually and that's how we proceed it. But I get what you're saying you started from the bare Yes?
    What do yo use for sealing porous Plaster of Paris before distemper?

andyfloss and jimmyc like this.
  7. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

Yes what i did was strip back to bare make good to a tight edge fill and prime with a proprietary primer. In this instance, it was a product called Clair Cole made by the manufacturer ( rose of jehrico ). However depending on who writes up the spec? Generally we’d use stiptic knotting, or..... zinsser bin primer or any other shellac primer that’s on the market.
    When dealing with any conservation projects, (for me at least) there’s always a curator or nominated surveyor involved writing up the scope of works so generally we go by that. But sometimes you need to use your own initiative

andyfloss, ahenrypd and Tomcio like this.
  8. Tomcio

Interesting website the Rose of Yericho.
    Thanks.

jimmyc likes this.
  9. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Lovely work there @jimmyc :notworthy:. What a privilege to have done justice to a piece of history.

10. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

It’s a labour of love @RonyT, and my forte in the field. But it’s not for everyone with all the bureaucracy that comes with it, you need the patience of a saint :cool:
    ---
    You’re welcome. Tbh they excel on quality

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    andyfloss and RonyT like this.
  11. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I can only imagine. Don't suppose they'd let you anywhere near it with an airless machine :biggrin:

jimmyc likes this.
  12. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

:biggrin: No such luck I’m afraid, one day though I’m sure that’ll change :tongue: