1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIENNA TUTORIAL

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by Roymak, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Been thinking of organising a comp for members who may want to try their hand with the above techniques. I'll see if I can rustle up some prizes and how members may be interested in giving it a go. Could be fun.

Edit: in fact if you're interested please put your name down here ---> http://www.painterspitstop.com/showthread.php?tid=6197

2. dimmaz88

dimmaz88 PPS Master Craftsman

Thanks for the tut so far, you've de-mystified the process:smile:
    Think I'll give the comp a go too

:)

3. Roymak

Roymak PPS Time Served

Right I will try again

Final posting
    Over glazing/Washes

Keep the washes thin and weak, you can always wash over two or three times if required but you can not go back if they are too strong in colour.

Mix a really weak mix of the BS 18 E 53 if you have some water based glaze mix with this, if not use a small amount of water based varnish to act as a binder do the same with the BS 12 D 45 add a touch of black to kill of the cleanliness of the two colours and apply in patches on the panel. Close ups of the original panel[attachment=4318] [attachment=4319]Try to keep both colours separate, you want the blue and green to show as blue and green not a mix of both. This is probably the only time I will use a softener to soften the washes. Don't worry if you don't have one sienna is such a busy marble you can get away without softening at all.

Hair dryer (this was a tip from Shane Ralph) you can with a little practice do a panel from start to finish in about 1 hour if you use a hair dryer to dry each stage.

Varnishing, if in an area where there is a lot of natural light I will use oil based varnish (I like the yellowing it produces on sienna). If its poorly lit then a water based varnish would be best. If it's a large area I prefer to do in a matt varnish. If its a fire place or small area then I use gloss varnish. Completed panel
    [attachment=4317]

This is not by any means the only way to do and represent a sienna its one of the ways I do and only on internal areas. I am not suggesting it's good practice not to use a glaze and just emulsion but with some practice you will be in a position to make the judgement yourself.

Attached Files:

4. EddieKavanagh

EddieKavanagh PPS Master Craftsman

Fantastic Roy thank you, I will make a start next week as at the mo am flat out, it looks like YamYam was spot on!

5. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

...and you know what? I'm so delighted that this tutorial is published here.
    Blessed hands!
    Thank you.