1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sikkens doing its best

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by chris spence, May 6, 2012.

1. B Richardson Decorating

B Richardson Decorating PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

You'll not be disapointed with the satura, use this almost exclusively for all my work now , although waiting to try Mythic Black Label when it eventually becomes available....

2. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Matt at mythic told me there will be new stock of black label at the end of the month. It will be going on their website as soon as they get it.

3. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

tell me about it:dunno:

4. tjbelfield

tjbelfield Decor1st.com PPS Painter Bar Member

agree with mr richardson bl is a great product this is my main internal trim paint too! the finish is like oil.

5. pd67

pd67 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Thanks for the answers. Gonna get me some brushes for water based now. Any quick recommendations for the sikkens?

6. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Wooster FTP all the way!

7. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I can't stand those ftb my advice for anyone buying brushes for waterbased is piccaso or silvertips woupdent bother with ewt else but I hate that sikkens bl aswell so I may just be a weirdo lol

8. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

Got to agree with you there mate,they cope well with the speed and still give a good finish, the STs lines are incredible no matter the paint me thinks..:thumbsup:

9. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I have to agree with you too,your da men,pmsl

10. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Great work there aswell mate, its mad how much work you can get of good glossing, the rest of the room could look crap but if the gloss is good they tell everyone. It's one of my gripes with waterbased but hey Ho it is what it is.

11. chris spence

Totally agree and thanks, ive noticed alot of people are now wanting to return to gloss ive had a couple of calls and they only wanted the trim redone after it had been WBed, i think and this is my opinion that WB will have a niche and stay on our shelves but i also think it wont reach the output of OB no matter how its pushed on the public, from my own feedback the public dont like the results or its durability,they want oil whether or not it yellows, i had a small commercial job and the spec was WB all through but the Manager in there sent the lot back and sent us out to buy Dulux,i tried to exsplain the goods and bads etc and he said alright you choose the paint just make sure its oil or dont bother !like you say "it is what it is"

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
  12. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I don't disagree with anything you say, Chris :no:
    But I am finding the opposite down here. Folks I talk with, would rather have the w/b knowing it will stay whiter and are willing to forsake the gloss level.
    Also, the fumes and the drying time are a factor for them. Having said that, some other deccies in my area may disagree with my findings.

It would be good to draw up some sort of excel spreadsheet as to what part of the country likes what as regards to oil or water, high gloss of oil or accepting the lower sheen level of the w/b.
    Adding in - age groups, professions, children/pets, allergies, smokers,,, you name it.
    Help build up a picture of why a certain household would choose one over the other.

BTW, don't look at me to build the spreadsheet. Tho I'd love to fully understand Excels capabilities.

13. charliebudd

charliebudd PPS Master Craftsman

I've only had one customer want to stay with oil-based after I explained the yellowing problem. Most really like the fact there's a lot less odour, and quicker to dry.

14. Andrews Decorating

Andrews Decorating PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I would agree with your findings Tim.
    I push WB for white interior trim, if a customer insisted on white alkyd gloss indoors I'd get them to sign a disclaimer.
    None have gone against my advice and insisted on it yet.
    (mostly working on the domestic side of things, family homes, kids/pets, professional people etc)

15. chris spence

Yep i hear what your saying, and from my own use of WB i can concur with your opinions on results yes it is good for the universe yes it stays white forever yes its quick drying non smelling and getting less expensive but i think and from the feedback ive had its not cutting it for folk out here, maybe its a generation thing or maybe its a border thing, your suggestion misty is a cracking idea even just to get the results at end of year or something atleast we would have a figures result on its usage and enviroment useage.
    Yes maybe its a border thing but over here in south wales they want OB ive tried the speil no end of times and most of the time its "no give me gloss", now i just ask them what colours they want, and i will say this,i follow the application procedure with gloss to the book and to be fair i use significantly higher grade products but touching the wood between my ears im good for no yellowing and i do find if you do a proper job the problem isnt as quick to rear its head.
    Hmm im really interested to find out now if theres a followed trend for decorating products round the country, ie wb to OB, i bet you ACmaster would have somes input on it...

16. mistcoat

acmaster is probably squirrelling away as we type on some formulae within Excel and will post his findings in the next hour, ready for when we awaken, sitting with our Weetabix at our PC's.

My Mum's side of the family is Welsh (South). It might be an idea for me to conduct a small survey as to what they would ask for if I was to go price up a job for them.
    They are down in Camarthen, Cardiff, Haverfordwest, Marloes and St. Ishmaels.
    Any of those familiar, Chris?

Again, even a few miles apart can differ greatly as to what people might choose.

17. Fingers

Fingers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I knew there was something suss about you!......:biggrin:

The thing is, Taff,...there is a really noticeable lack of 'different paints' in that part of Wales because the 'big 3' more or less had the area sewn up for years, No Brewers or other big independents etc down that way. Manders and Brolac are doing well though apparently..:winky:

18. mistcoat

Born in Kent so as far as I'm concerned, I'm Full English and proud :biggrin:

19. chris spence

yes Misty know them well, well enough to find my way in and out and cardiff is where i do alot of work, but Fingers has hit the nail on the head, there very few independants round south its the big 3 and they dont even like pushing other brands out like Zinsser or toupret etc , i have to pre order or go on web for 60/70 percent of my materials,and when anything is sold its just the one brand formula and priced out of pocket.
    infact they get tyrpe funny if you go in and ask for out of brand material and give you the sales pitch lol, as you can imagine im not the most popular when i pop into dulux and browse !
    But yes there quite stuck in their ways this side of the border, village mentality, the men are hard and the sheep are married :hysterical:

20. Lee

Lee PPS Craftsman

Did the BHS shop refit in camarthen and various other works in Cardiff. Best times of my life. Bargeod is still my favourite welsh town. Staying in a run down pub with the best ale ever, hobby horse. Fantastic. Don't know what all the fuss is about welsh people, there lovely folk :thumbsup:

Sorry, off topic :whistle: