1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small details query

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by barry, Jan 19, 2014.

1. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hope this is the right place for this question. Being new to electronic stuff such as iPads / forums etc ( and wondering every time I come to type why the heck they had to mix the letters up ) I am concerned when I can't understand bits and bobs.

Here goes, I may as well admit it, I am 71, happily do a full week, but am a bit out of it with this electronic caper!:spew::spew:(you see!!i thought I would be adventurous and insert that little green man from the box on the left. Tapped him and now my thread has ":spew::spew:" !!! )

So, the queries, when in the lists of thread titles, the left hand column has little oblongs with different things in them. Eg mine had just a dot=" contains your posts". What does that mean? Now it has a bollworm line="hot thread ( no new )"??

Then I see at the bottom of where I'm typing now there is talk about " subscribe, do not subscribe etc etc.

'All part and parcel of life's gay pattern ' I guess !! ( now I spot ' deselect this post' .What the heck ? Oh, now I see "I want to post a poll" and a no.2 in the little box??

Help!!
    [hr]
    1 minute later I learn what spew spew was relative to the little green man!!

2. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hello barry this may help you out a bit
    Forum tutorials
    Have a good read of that and if you got anymore questions i am sure we
    can help you out :thumbsup:

3. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

The different "little oblongs" next to a thread mean if there are 'new posts' 'no new posts' 'contains your posts' etc.
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the forum home page, look to the LHS and you'll see the oblongs there and what they mean.

Subscribe to a thread is self explanatory really and you'd click this option if you wish to follow any new posts added to a thread of your own writing or other members threads which are of interest to you.

The deselect and poll options only show if you are the thread starter. Not if you are replying to a thread. Don't run before you can walk and leave them alone, Barry.
    All breakages have to be paid for :biggrin:

As Kirk has mentioned, handypainter put up some forum 'how to' tutorials to get folks by on some matters.

Edit: to add...

I have moved this from The Pit Stop forum to here -> Site Suggestions as it is a more appropriate section :thumbsup:

4. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

The main two I use are the 'view todays posts' link at the top of your page. The next most important thing is the little green arrow by the posts not only does this mean that there have been new posts since you last saw the thread, but if you click on the green arrow you get taken to the first unread post on the thread - very helpful.

Everything else I don't really look at. You can give the green plus sign a try though if you want : )

5. pd67

pd67 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Excellent first post Barry couldn't understand a word of it!

Might read it again