1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartphone integration

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by handypainter, Apr 3, 2012.

1. handypainter

handypainter PPS Master Craftsman

This maybe just a purely personal thing, but I don't find it very easy to use this forum on a mobile device. I have mentioned this before in another thread that there is a plugin available called Tapatalk. This enables the forum to be easily used by mobile devices if they have the Tapatalk app installed.

I'm sure there are other smartphone plugins available but I know this one works with another forum.

Edit: Link - http://www.tapatalk.com/index.php

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Easy to navigate etc using an Android, but I have to admit, typing is an issue at times.
    Will have a look.

Cheers HP :thumbsup:

3. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

the website is pretty good on my android phone?

But I do have a galaxy note which has a 4.5inch screen? around that mark?

I could see the problem on smaller phones tbh

4. mistcoat

Any other thoughts on this folk?
    Had a look at TapaTalk and it has mixed reviews. Also, (I know it's not a lot) but do you want to pay £1.99 for the app to see us at work? :biggrin:

You should be bloody working :lol:

The free version is ok, but has ads (which you can be removed). The paid versions are a definite no. All money paid out for PPS comes out of my pocket, and $799 for the basic package is a bit :omg: :biggrin:

Also, there are some saying that since the myBB upgrade, TT is not working properly. Give TT a chance to address and can then take another look.
    How does that greet you? :thumbsup:

5. handypainter

Perhaps it is just me then :blush: When replying to a thread, as you type the reply box jumps about too much and the cursor doesn't know where its supposed to be. But I am using the HTC Desire first generation (smaller screen).

May try a different rom, but am only a few months away from upgrading which is when i'll be looking at the larger screens similar to yours Kirk :yes:

Tapatalk seems to be optimised for mobiles too, so if you haven't the luxury of 3g it does help with loading quicker, and you can upload photos direct from your mobile.

6. handypainter

In that case forget it, not worth the hassle imo

I do have the paid for version on my phone, but if I was an admin on a forum and there were compatibility problems I wouldn't get involved.

Really appreciate the admins looking into this though :thumbsup:

7. mistcoat

There is this one here, but it is still in Beta.

I sound like I know what I'm talking about tonight, don't I? :huh:

8. handypainter

Nice one mistcoat, and very nicely found. Don't suppose you lovely Admins could trial it for a day or two :whistle::blush::kiss:

9. mistcoat

Have a play tomorrow, praps [​IMG]

10. kirk

handypainter what android system does your phone run on?
    The jumpiness could be due to your firmware on your phone being out dated?

11. handypainter

Its a custom rom, and I must admit haven't updated it for awhile :blush: I did wonder if it was my phone though :scratchhead:

Should have plenty of time to have a play with it now though as i'm off work for the forseeable future with "acute disc prolapse" (slipped disc) and spine is twisted to buggery :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

12. kirk

im running android 2.3.6 and the website is fine so try that if your not already on it?

13. handypainter

I'm on 2.3.5, so will see about an update thanks.

14. handypainter

Updated/flashed the phone to the rom developers latest release and its now running Android 2.3.7. This has definitely improved the responsiveness and overall speed, but still not the best experience with this forum :sad:

Not to worry, guess i'll have to wait until September for an upgrade to something with a larger screen :yes:

15. mistcoat

HTC ONE looks good. 4.7" screen :omg:

16. handypainter

Thats the one I was looking at last night mistcoat. Reckon its a bit more portable than the behemoth that is the Samsung Note. I mean where are you going to fit a 5.3" screen, in your knee pad pocket? :scratchhead:

17. mistcoat

Ha, yeah! Bit like carrying a portable telly to work with you :biggrin:

18. AyrshireDec

AyrshireDec PPS Tradesman

Here's my beast 4.7 screen.
    I'm a phone geek though,ditched the iphone for it. Love it.

[​IMG]

19. handypainter

How about swapsies :handbat:

20. mistcoat

What's that one, AD?
    I have the HTC HD Desire, atm.

Gotta wait till June for my upgrade - so any spammers can flock right off if you read this, I'm not interested :sarcastic: