1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smith & Rodger Blockade Review

Discussion in 'The Review Centre - reviews of tools & products.' started by RonyT, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Yes Blockade has great adhesion to factory coatings. I used it over Acid Catalysed and Pre Catalysed and laminate finishes with success.

Sprayandrun, Daf and Baggie like this.
  2. Baggie

Baggie PPS Tradesman

Unless someone has tried it with success over 20/30 Yr old cellulose finished kitchen doors etc I'll use shellac based primers.

Sprayandrun and Tomcio like this.
  3. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

The Blockade failed on my kitchen problem after the prep with virosol so still be aware.

Sprayandrun likes this.
  4. Tomcio

I tought it was eico primer @Gazza?

5. Gazza

The sample piece sent to the lab had been coated with stix, grepp and blockade.

Tomcio likes this.
  6. Tomcio

It wasn't primer fault as such isn't?

7. Gazza

I dare say there wouldnt have been an issue with any of the primers from an adhesion point of view, my point to any virosol users is to be careful especially on the acid and pre cat factory finishes.

Sprayandrun and Tomcio like this.
  8. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Did you got with it ? How did it pan out for you ?

Jason Gunter and Sprayandrun like this.
  9. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Just looked at a big job which has 10 mahogany 6 panel doors & a 3 story paneled staircase which is all going back to white. I'm thinking of trying blockade instead of Bin as a primer. Have Blockade changed the formula lately or is it the same.

10. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Carpenter been messing them around ,from memory I think I was due for end April beginning on may.
    HO contacted me about a fortnight ago said it’s ready,told him I’m on my outsides and will treat it has hospital job from the 9th July onwards lol

grumpyvandriver, bitzz and RonyT like this.
  11. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Are you guys brushing, foam rollering or spraying Blockade on cabinets doors?

12. Tomcio

I'm using Blockade all the time and haven't noticed any changes in formula.
    Spray with HVLP 1.8 mm, roll with prodec yellow stripe microfiber, brush with Stalmaasteer.
    Never had even single problem with it.
    @Lee Anthony .
    Check existing varnish for adhesion.
    Sometimes folks don't sand before application of fresh varnish coat or wait too long between coats and don't sand either.

3 spires likes this.
  13. Lee Anthony

I won't be spraying as I don't have the equipment. But I will be sanding it back before priming. What's the coverage like on Blockade compared to Bin.

14. Tomcio

Coverage It's the same I would say but longer open time.
    When using white I get Blockade tinted to brilliant white in the paint shop it helps a little.

Re adhesion I meant check we'll if the existing varnish is bonded well to underneath as many times it's blistering out. I scratch with nails and stick some regular masking tape press it well and pull it out fast.

Peter Humphreys and 3 spires like this.
  15. Lee Anthony

They now sell it in Dulux but it's about£38

16. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Maybe see if you can buy direct from S&R, Lee. Not sure if we can though :dunno:

17. cpb

cpb PPS Tradesman

Been using blockade today for first time on some old pine (probably) shutters. Compared to BIN what's not to like. I didn't notice a huge difference but slightly more opacity, slightly less smell and slightly cheaper. Covered knots well. Sticks like the proverbial. Sanded well. My new go to. As @Tomcio says earlier it seems to have slightly higher sheen but can't see that being an issue as I find I need to sand BIN down any way to get a smooth finish.

Tomcio and RonyT like this.
  18. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You can and it’s cheaper marginally

https://www.smithandrodger.co.uk/shop/p/blockade
    Buy from the supplier direct and they make more money from it by selling direct. Can’t imagine how much DDC pull S&R’s pants down stocking it.

cpb likes this.
  19. cpb

cpb PPS Tradesman

Good to know but unlikely to pay the postage when my local independent is selling it at the same price.

RonyT likes this.
  20. Lee Anthony

That's the problem with buying stuff online.The initial price is often lower but buy the time you factor in delivery costs it's not that much cheaper.

cpb likes this.