1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spray booth set up?

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Dale, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Dale

Dale PPS Apprentice

So just got into a bit of spraying finally and put plastic all round my garage but everything on the other side of plastic is covered in a paint dusting:thumbsdown: a bit annoying and hope it just dusts off OK. Now wanna put it out there I want a spray booth I can put up and take down pretty easily when I'm not spraying what's you guys suggestions and setups I need ideas with pics :thumbsup: thanks guys and hope every one is good
    ---
    Also extractors to deal with the fog which will hopefully stop most of that annoying dusting over my expensive fishing kit:cry:

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Hopefully someone comes along for you, @Dale
    Have you done a forum search in the meantime pal? :thumbup:
    I'm sure there was a lot of info on the extractors from not too long ago.

3. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

Glad to see you have got your priorities right.
    We have another one @Peter Humphreys @Jason Gunter

4. Dale

Dale PPS Apprentice

I did but couldn't find much thanks mistcoat

mistcoat likes this.
  5. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Sorry @Dale mate.

Big shout out to all the regular sprayers then help_sos

6. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Must be a nice lad mukka,and fully understand his dilemma.

@Dale i had a power star extractor from eBay a couple of years back,ideal to use in the domestic homes as well.
    What I am going to do this year is build a nice big new shed/log cabin and convert into a dedicated spray area to make sure I keep my tackle immaculate :cool:

Peter Humphreys, bitzz and mistcoat like this.
  7. Dale

Dale PPS Apprentice

Something like this @Jason Gunter do you use any filter System on on it or just as is

Attached Files:

8. Jason Gunter

That’s the one Dale,for a filter I have heard of people using one from the Henry vacs but there is a square filter on eBay that works well with these or you could like I do use some foam filter for spying and bungee it over the end or onto a speaker grille .I’ll get some links up for you soon

9. Jason Gunter

10. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

11. Dale

Dale PPS Apprentice

Nice one guys do the square filters gave a round back to fit over the extractor

@Jason Gunter you been doing any I can't seem to get out much with kids running me ragid
    ---
    @Jason Gunter *fishing

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
  12. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Hi @Dale and Tight Lines!

Yep I don't think we really have talked about spraybooths for a while think the last one was @Tomcio spraybooth with a view
    :thumbsup:

Its one of those things that you can spend alot of money on I am no expert on booths but I sometimes create my own in the garage.

Perhaps the first thing is your spraying rig and what you are spraying.
    For example if its airless you may be able to change your tips and turn down your pressure and reduce the dreaded or think about going Air Assisted this will cut down overspray a huge amount personally I don't have this setup.
    If you spray using a compressor or turbine again dialing down the presure can save alot of overspray I can dial in the turbine and hardly have any, the compressor less so.

Also using a back shield helps so the over spray has a surface to hit instead of going airborne.

Yes a shed \ garage is a good option but winter can be difficult with temperature, moisture and heating.

If I am spraying alot I use plasterboard props and plastic sometimes plastic tarpaulin to divide the garage I crack open the garage door and the other end I set up my extractor fans and hoses out of the rear garage door so I have a through flow of air...

I do find putting a filter over a bit hit and miss as it slows down the amount of air being removed most of it is dry spray once it hits the fan so it's really paint dust you are extracting out which I personally can't see being a problem unless you are doing alot of spraying over days.

It's a shame we can't rent spray booths for big jobs but a bit of creativity you can rig up something adequate and for Gods sake cover up your fishing gear!
    :doff:

13. Jason Gunter

Has much as i can Dale,all shore fishing at present but just put a deposit on a boat so am looking forward to picking it up when restrictions allow.

Aint that the truth Simon, i try not to spray in the winter if i can help it and just put jobs off until warmer temps.It s a royal pita at present though with all the ger in there so need to get my butt moving on this new shed.

3 spires likes this.
  14. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

The only flammable solvent I spray is alcohol in shellac.
    My portable ventilator is placed outdoor just in case off cabooom, extraction is much better as well.
    My booth walls are made out of roof membrane that's better than plastic as any over spray won't detach from it and fly arround like it was with the polyethylene walls.
    Sliding door is a game changer for the obvious reasons.
    My heating in the garage comes from the masonry heater that I build myself and its very cheap to run and very effective.http://www.painterspitstop.com/threads/spray-booth-finally.17469/

15. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

Jason Gunter, Tomcio and ahenrypd like this.
  16. 3 spires

Iain79, Tomcio, Samdex and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Not my field of expertise but a small gazebo which a couple of my joiner mates use outside when cutting and its raining would make a half decent spray booth?

18. 3 spires

Did a little test this morning to see how much dust and wet spray can through the end of the extractor hose

I briefly sprayed Scruffx straight into the fan and none landed on a black board so if anyone is worried out what comes out the answer is very little
    20210711_111309_copy_600x800.jpg 20210711_111334_copy_600x800.jpg

19. bobajob

bobajob PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I’m a little unsure about this test are you saying that the paint stays in the extractor?

20. 3 spires

I tried it without the hose and yes the spray transfered through its the hose that's nullifies the wet paint.

RonyT likes this.