1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying filler

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by JoeCD, May 31, 2021.

1. JoeCD

JoeCD PPS Time Served

Morning chaps.
    So Im basically renovating my house that we've just purchased as its in a terrible state. Ive stripped all the paper and Im going to get the Leros on the walls and ceilings but the walls are pretty much going to need skimming in the majority of the house. Im really tempted to get a load of Toupret Joint and Skim and run it through the sprayer as it will save me a ton of time. Has anyone done this and if so are there any do's and dont's? My sprayer is the Graco 495 pc pro st max 2 which Ive been told can be used with filler.

andyfloss likes this.
  2. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I can't be of any help to you @JoeCD. I am very interested in this thread as skimming ceilings and walls is gaining popularity. I use a 9" medium pile roller most of the time to lay on joint cement. There are lots of ready mixed products out there which are suitable for running through some airless spray units with correct tip sizes.
    Ready mixed products, apparently contain less water and are of a harder finish.
    One tip, I picked up from someone is to add a little olive oil to mix, it will help flow and spread of product.
    Toupret do a ready mixed product that can be sprayed or manually applied.

JoeCD likes this.
  3. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I haven't used the joint and skim so not sure how thick it is.
    Toupret did do pulsar and Saneo both of which are like a thin paste or thick paint which you couldn't really use by hand. These ran through my Graco 750plus... just about. They spread really easy, but did slump a bit in any deep holes.
    Toupret seem to keep switching fillers and filler names so not sure if these are available any more. They also tend to be more pricey than other manufacturers.

The thicker fillers need a bigger pump 5lmin minimum.
    I use Beissier Bagar G through a Graco Mk5. I do any deep filling with a quick setting filler. I would seal a problem wall with Gardz, (if the walls ok I would skip this). Apply two coats of Bagar G. I would seal with Gardz again before painting.

JoeCD, Daf and andyfloss like this.
  4. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I doubt this would be of any use to you, but Caparol do a spray tec filler.

I look forward to see how you go a out it, with pictures of course :smile:

Sprayandrun, JoeCD and andyfloss like this.
  5. JoeCD

JoeCD PPS Time Served

Thanks Andy.Ive been reading up on my machine and Im not confident it can do fillers now. Ive sent a message to spray direct to see if they can give me a definite answer. If not I think I might try rolling on a filler. I'll try the olive oil too thanks.

Thanks for this. I was looking at sealers the other night and wasnt sure which one I'd use but looking at this Im going to use the Gardz, looks exactly like whats needed.

Thanks Daf, will have a look now

Daf likes this.
  6. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

A couple of thick layers of contract matt is good for bad stipple and brush strokes. Sands very nicely too.

Propylene glycol is good option if you want an oily additive. PG evaporates slowly. It is a non toxic, odourless alcohol. It can also be used to flush the water out of your sprayers piston or to slow drying times for trim paints.

Tomcio likes this.
  7. bobajob

bobajob PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I use quite a bit of the toupret as for walls i think it’s the best because it dries harder than the others, and there’s the problem i think if a tiny amount was not cleaned from the machine it would be like leaving a bit of cement in there