1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying Scuff-x

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Iandecor, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Iandecor

Iandecor PPS Apprentice

Hi Guys, after some advise spraying Scuff-x .
    Experience up to date 12 doors...Impressed? ?.....well I was !! ended up with a smooth factory finish in under 10sec per side (Armstead primer/ under FFLP 517 to big that's all I had) thinking why didn't I do this years ago? Didn't save much time though spent most of the day looking at them....lol
    So I've got a job ,empty House with lots of tired oil glossed trim,doors etc to practice on....Prep will be keyed/Sugersoap.
    Got Scuff - x Satin to put on I'll be using a fflp310, 210 do you guys thin this down say 10 % or so ? plus do you try and finish in one hit or leave a few hours for a second coat? pending on colour change,I'm using Simply white. Your advise and help will be much appreciated . Cheers

2. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hi @Iandecor
    I’ve never gone straight over old old surfaces with scuff-x so I am not sure if you would need a primer first.

I've only ever put a drop of water in Scuff-X to ease it through XVLP after warming in.
    If you are using airless, you don't need to thin it at all.
    Most BM products are manufactured to be sprayed straight out of the can.

10% water to thin is very excessive IMHO mate and as for sugar soap ? Not used it in years.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    crj and 3 spires like this.
  3. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I prefer an adhesion primer. It helps in the long run with opacity flow etc. And cheaper than Scuff x. You also get to know the lie of the land with this first coat.
    With this warm weather a drop of water might help it flow out as it does set up fairly quick. It certainly helped with Advance Satin today.

4. LMDec

LMDec PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Absolute dream to spray, have 20 doors both sides to do next week with scuff x satin!

Sprayandrun likes this.
  5. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Sorry forgot to add, 310 (forget 210) is fine for trim but I'd personally step up to 410 for doors.

Bobbones likes this.
  6. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Yes with the others on adhesion primer after prep it doesn't need to be a thick coat just enough to get a grip and dry.

I now tend to go light on the first coat saving some product then heavy on finish to build up the sheen, if you can get scuffx to run or sag you definitely are doing something wrong perhaps one of the easiest top coats their is to apply....period!

Gazza, mistcoat, RonyT and 3 others like this.
  7. Iandecor

Iandecor PPS Apprentice

Yeah I agree as well... but time and cost of material made me go for this gear to avoid the extra cost.....I guess you are saying it can be done but for extra peace of mind a primer is required ...ie Bullseye 123 plus ?

8. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

If it's old oil eggshell I tend to skip the primer nowadays as long as it's prepped and cleaned well.

Old oil gloss I always prime as there's always that chance I've missed a bit of sanding the shine off and the scuff x won't stick to that.

That said, if you're just starting out as @ahenrypd says you're best spraying some primer first to get a feel for it. Otex akva for me as relatively cheap and if you balls it up it is sandable within an hour or two .

Bobbones likes this.
  9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I was going to say use Ultra Spec 500 primer, but it looks like @BenjaminMooreUK no longer have it on sale. I must have missed that :think:
    Stix or High Hide it is then,,, IMO.

10. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Hvlp about 5-7% water but airless I'd spray neat. Over gloss I still UC though. Just a sure thing to cover in one top coat especially over yellowed gloss

11. Iandecor

Iandecor PPS Apprentice

Hi, thanks for the advise guys......getting a bit confused over number of coats....are you using the primer as an undercoat as well ? then one coat of Satin?

12. Wayners

Primer undercoat on new wood or MDF. Adhesion primer on old gloss. One coat of scuff-x over. Or two coats of scuff-x and skip the UC. Whichever works for you

13. Iandecor

Iandecor PPS Apprentice

ok thanks ....Wayners . obviously I'm used to putting like undercoat/gloss oil or two coats of satinwood oil or WB. If I could get away with a primer one coat of scuff I'd be well chuffed.....expensive gear!!

14. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

15. Wayners

@Tomcio I've always wanted one like this..

16. Tomcio

What's keeping you from getting one?

barry and Buckers like this.
  17. mistcoat

Ian,
    All of @BenjaminMooreUK primers have very good adhesion properties and are also good on new wood and MDF.

I've found from years ago, that using general primer undercoats are ok, but they suck the hell out of the following first top coat.
    Using the BM primers Stix or Sure Seal they don't suck on the finish coats as they are sealers too.
    But their High Hide, which is an acrylic primer doesn't suck on the finish paint too much at all either. IMO.

For MDF, I seal with Gardz first. Then on with other coats.
    We've all got our ways we've discovered that work for users, just pick ones you like the sound of and give them ago. That's how we all learn new and better ways on here.

Gazza, Buckers, Tomcio and 3 others like this.
  18. Wayners

Finding one for sale @Tomcio Most i seen are digital. Also not looked at the online Dec suppliers to see if I can find one. It's now on the list, but can only find 3mm ones

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Tomcio likes this.
  19. mistcoat

Bobbones likes this.
  20. Tomcio