1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying Scuff-x

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Iandecor, Apr 9, 2020.

1. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

2. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

@Tomcio the Amazon is only 3mm, but the others are good. I wonder if my local spray shop stocks them? Car spray kit but probably 3mm if they do..

2mm so no good.. need over 4.5mm. well that's how I'm reading it...is that correct? Seems thick to me... Quick Google and 4.3mils is 0.10922 mm. :think: I don't know now

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  3. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Screenshot_20200411_154239_com.android.chrome.jpg
    You need to measure between 100 125 micrometers per coat so okay
    Don't mix mils= thousandth of an inch with milimetres=thousandth of a metre

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    3 spires likes this.
  4. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Am I reading it correct the 4.3 thousand of a inch to microns which is just over 109?

Or am I getting confused :huh:

You beat me to it @Tomcio :doff:

I know Scuffx doesn't run but over 4.5mm maybe asking for trouble @Wayners?
    :hysterical:

Tomcio and Wayners like this.
  5. Wayners

Yeah..I thought that after:think: for a second. So needs to be applied a just over a tenth of 1mm thick. That's way thinner than I thought

3 spires likes this.
  6. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Gardz on MDF, why that route mate? Does it harden that furry edge better?

7. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Is that an innuendo? "Furry edge." :biggrin:

It does do a lot of favours on that furry edge and helps stopping it fur up, Gazza. I picked that up years ago from @ThreadKiller who used to come here and also Brian (Jack Pauhl).
    Stops suction.

Sprayandrun and Gazza like this.
  8. 3 spires

I have used it alot after Tim posted about it.

It works really well as it drys quickly.

I usually Gardz sand with 320g the re-gardz followed by another sand if its still furry because it dries so quickly its best to repeat until the edge is smooth if its bad MDF I have had to fill it before now PITA!

Tomcio, ahenrypd and mistcoat like this.
  9. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I've used sanding sealer on my furry bits but will give gardz a go next time this comes up. Sorry @mistcoat for mentioning my furry bits!

RonyT and mistcoat like this.
  10. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Hahaha! I am free and easy so not offended. But my husband was :hysterical:

Gazza likes this.
  11. Iandecor

Iandecor PPS Apprentice

Hi Guy's, no Furry bits to deal with !!just tails which I was surprised at.
    Decided to take advise and used BM High Hide to deal with old gloss....prob I had was tails using a fflp310 had to go up to 2000psi and above to get a decent pattern, all clear in the gun etc with a 50mesh in the gun......been spraying emulsion ok with a fflp516 just under 1000psi.
    Have you had same problem or same pressure ? worried the Scuff-x will do the same now. cheers

12. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

High hide does take some spraying @Iandecor, it's a thick old primer, I probably spray it at the highest pressure of all the products I spray and have to go to a bigger tip.

Dont worry, Scuff-x sprays a dream and you'll be able to drop your pressure right down again.

3 spires and ahenrypd like this.
  13. Iandecor

Iandecor PPS Apprentice

Ok thanks for that Buckers....that makes me feel better, thought I had a duff tip or something. cheers

14. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Jumping on this thread for a question to any of you spray artistes: I have a big staircase and balustrades to do, newly manufactured with tulipwood spindles, plus a few other bits of new joinery around. The handrails and treads have already had a dark stain of some kind so loads of masking. I want a finish in scuff-x eggshell and will be using xvlp so am wondering what you guys would use to prime. It doesn't really require adhesion primer but would you use stix for ease of spraying rather than HH? There are also a few bits of mdf joinery, so perhaps Gardz first on these? Any advice much appreciated.

15. greenbank

I should add that the area I will be working in will be sealed off and has a separate entrance door and bathroom which only I will use during job. There is another staircase, it's a big ole manor house... I will keep 2m away from myself the whole time too, just to be on the safe side...

Tomcio, ahenrypd and crj like this.
  16. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I'm far from a 'spray artiste' and still just have my humble old xvlp but I find otex akva sprays nicely out of it , sticks really well, very sandable after an hour ish. Then scuff X. For xvlp it seems a perfect system to me. Stix is quite thick for xvlp imo (and unnecessary/ expensive if you don't even need adhesion) and HH is good but takes longer to dry than otex akva, plus the latter is a fair bit cheaper . Not sure re compatibility to tulipwood wood tho, might be worth checking.

Re MDF , not tried gardz on it personally, small spray cans of bin work well for me.

Bobbones, greenbank and Sprayandrun like this.
  17. greenbank

Good shout for the otex akva, weirdly I've never even tried that I've got so used to using HH or stix. Got to order AR2 from Tikk so will stick some on the order

crj likes this.
  18. 3 spires

Helmi primer sprays well and is a little under rated, Stix is a great drop I use Akvi quite a bit but it is spray only but all of the above can be recoated withing a hour or two, I don't like cheap acrylic primers as they are too porous.

Haftprimer is the primer for me at the moment very reliable but it does take a while to dry.

19. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I do use Gardz to seal the new edges of MDF @greenbank, does soak in and seal well ready for priming.

greenbank likes this.
  20. Wayners

Otex akva is nice to spray. I'd use that with xvlp over everything including MDF. Prime edges of MDF before you sand. Why complicate things

greenbank and Bobbones like this.