1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying Scuff-x

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Iandecor, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

:goodpost:Otex akva a great primer and goes off fast. Keep it simple. One primer to rule them all and in the darkness bind them...

Tomcio, PaintHQ, Gazza and 5 others like this.
  2. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Ooh, one primer? Controversial! :cavelrycharge::sarcastic:

3. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Old Post

This was plain mfd at 10am. I'll flip over in an hour and spray back. Sliding door rail panel from B&Q..
    Just posting for amusement.

Spray.
    Sand edges and surface. Scuff-x. Done. Weather helps..
    [​IMG]

Sprayandrun likes this.
  4. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

just coming back on the priming of mdf and then going over with BM.
    I did a job last year where I was convinced using Aura, because it is self priming, that I would not need to prime mdf before. I spoke to the guy at the time and said my gut feeling and could I test it out on the understanding if I was wrong I’d sort it out at my expense.
    Went round today to look at more work there and the mdf cupboards look mint !

The only areas that needed more than 2 coats at the time was the sawn edges. I just rolled them, sanded when dry and added another roll until they stopped sucking and fluffing.

Gazza, Bobbones and mistcoat like this.
  5. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Proof is in the pudding, @RonyT :thumbsup:

RonyT likes this.
  6. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Been doing a few tests going straight onto oil Eggshell with Scuff x ( tape and scratch test )

I have to say it seems to stick just as well as Stix it's rock solid so with prepared surfaces it will not be a issue.

Bobbones likes this.
  7. PaintHQ

PaintHQ PPS Time Served

Glad someone put Haftprimer out there as an option.. Primers I typically use are Tikkurila Otex Akva, Caparol Haftprimer (the NAST version goes through XVLP / HVLP perfectly by design).. Both an option I use for their adhesion properties.. Then there’s a high build primer by AkzoNobel that I rate on new timber / mdf, or old woodwork that I’ve pretty much prepped so much it’s sanded right back

Sprayandrun likes this.
  8. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Hi @PaintHQ. What's the name of that AN primer and is it nice to sand?

PaintHQ likes this.
  9. PaintHQ

PaintHQ PPS Time Served

Hey buddy.. It’s latest name is by number only.. 136 ..It was formally known as AquaSurf.. Think AN are going down the same numbering route as Renner.:smile: ..It sands lovely with high grit papers ..First coat it sucks straight up and dries quick. I sand off the raised timbers or mdf fibres and fire over another coat, maybe a 3rd.. do you have any experience with these low viscosity manufacturer coatings my friend?.. it’s something I plan to do a YouTube video on in future (manufacturer Vs decorative materials).. A few of my videos feature manufacturer coatings (my last one I spray mdf wall panelling).. I mostly spray them Airless with the .08 tips at around 800/900 psi ..Lovely control.. There’s a video where I compare Graco FFLP Vs TriTech Ultra Fine Finish.. Interesting difference in pressures to atomise the material ..Sorry I’m waffling again:smile: ..I’ll get to grips with the Forum etiquette soon :smile:

Tomcio and ahenrypd like this.
  10. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

If you're using airless, can you tell much of a difference in finish been scuff x and say something like everal aqua?

Just got a job coming up where ideally I'd like to use scuff x but it's a farrow and ball colour copy so a) I know the tikurilla copy / version will be closer than the bm one and b) I'd actually like to make a bit of money on the paint which is obv a lot easier to do with say everal aqua. Money isn't really an issue and if were brushing I'd always choose scuff over everal. Just checking if there's much difference in spraying?

Will be spraying panelling as per pic in a mustard yellow eggshell

Attached Files:

Sprayandrun likes this.
  11. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I had a tough time line on a job, so went bm advance satin over pre primed looked shocking so did 2 leyland acylic primer, then 2 advance and was spot on.

Howdens pre primed by the way.
    The bare wood came up the same as the pre primed with 2 coats of leyland acrylic and 2 advance.

12. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

---
    WTF??? Double yellows then total evaporation of reams of text. What i said was …. NO!! Please dont do it. Not canary yellow. They must be on something. I’ll send you a large chq if you refuse. So will @Wayners …so will @bitzz , @Peter Humphreys wont because…………………. !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2021
    ahenrypd and crj like this.
  13. crj

:hysterical:
    I'll relay your misgivings to the customer and let you know the outcome dear Barry

I always think of canary yellow as being quite bright. This is a much more muted yellow, I reckon it will look decent tbf as the banister will remain varnished so nice contrast :thumbup:

14. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

I've no experience with those @PaintHQ but it will change:biggrin:

PaintHQ likes this.
  15. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

I would paint it dog doo brown if there was money in it!

barry likes this.
  16. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I painted a HSL in Dulux Jonquil. It's a deep rich yellow that looked awesome when finished.

17. crj

Yeah I quite like those ochre type colours, in the right house of course. Lend themselves better to period homes really. Did one recently in a more newish house and wasn't so keen on it tbh

ahenrypd likes this.
  18. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Cheapskate! :yes:

crj likes this.
  19. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

BM Coca- cabbanna anyone?
    I really couldn't stop singing it when slapping it on!
    :music:

20. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I used BM's Concorde Ivory, (yellow) and Chelsea Gray (scuff x) on a job last year, those yellows generally surprise me as I tend to like them more when the job is finished than I think I'm going to!!

Scuff x sprays a dream imo.

crj likes this.