1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying Scuff-x

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Iandecor, Apr 9, 2020.

1. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yes, when you first open the tin it can be a case of wtf is that but in the right place can look great.

Agree re scuff x being sprayed , be interested if anyone can compare it to everal etc side by side and see any noticeable difference

Buckers likes this.
  2. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

I've done fair bit of testing sprayed side by side you wouldn't be able to tell which is which. You can get equally good results with everal. Durability wise not much in it either scuff x durability is overrated on here massively - don't get me wrong it's good but it's definitely not leagues above anything else. Still failed with what everything else failed with so :dunno:

Definitely sprays the nicest at the lowest pressure compared to most other stuff I've tried though (had a 4x base eggy that wouldn't go below 1500 though - 1x satins 7-800 easy)

Wouldnt use scuff-x in as a general use white on doors/skirts etc personally as the BM whites look awful compared to pretty much everything else on the market, probably worth a bash on certain jobs that need a colour though.

3. crj

Great answer thanks. Agree re durability of scuff x, disagree on the bm whites but guess it's personal taste.

I've only used scuff x through the xvlp and always liked how forgiving it is ie you can pile it on and it always seems to pull back without curtaining.

Seeing as it will be my first paid job with an airless I wondered if it was particularly easier or more forgiving spray as other paints are ? Or with airless does it not really make any difference? Guess the lower pressure is good as less overspray?

Ta again

Sprayandrun likes this.
  4. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

BM whites definitely look grey compared to everything else, not to my tastes some may prefer a softer white though

Very forgiving through the airless though
    very difficult to make it run for sure. Everal is almost as forgiving too that has a good vertical hold aswell but your looking at about 1500psi get that spraying nice, no real problems with overspray at those pressures though.

If your new to airless I'd try spraying some more challenging products regularly to keep your technique sharp, if you just spray scuff x you'll never be able to spray anything else without runs I guarantee as its that forgiving. Get some PU satin through if you want a challenge :biggrin:

Using everal 40 new white on this job I'm on at the minute so attached a pic of it so you can see the finish you get with it :thumbup: (customer replacing the hinges before anyone comes for me:biggrin: )

Screenshot_20210708-171323_Gallery.jpg

Sprayandrun, RonyT, Tomcio and 2 others like this.
  5. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I love BM whites, never had any complaints from customers either, but what you do have to understand is that Americans don't do Brilliant white like the UK markets.

mistcoat, Buckers and cpb like this.
  6. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Everal Aqua 10 can be marked quite easy with the finger nail.
    Scuffx matte can't be marked easy with the finger nail.

End of story. :doff:

mistcoat and Sprayandrun like this.
  7. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I’ve tried most of the others, nothing matches the quality of BM for me. I use a lot of Regal Pearl, extremely durable & underrated imo.

mistcoat, Sprayandrun, RonyT and 3 others like this.
  8. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

I've only tested the satins so can't comment on that, but you can mark scuff x satin with fingernail easily aswell so surprising that the matte doesn't.

9. Tomcio

Hi @Samdex. When you do side by side, comparison of we'll cured film of Scuffx versus Everal Aqua can you notice the difference in level of force required to leave the mark?

10. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

Got a side by side test piece that's been curing months, same pressure with a finger nail marks both :dunno: HH underneath aswell so advantage should be scuff x technically. Both resisted impact testing the same aswell, only clear advantage to scuff x from my testing was resistance to rubber marks which could definitely be a deciding factor for speccing it for some jobs (boot rooms/utility, HSL etc).

Tomcio likes this.
  11. Tomcio

I find it very difficult to nail mark Scuffxscoutshonor_pps

12. crj

Yeah I agree that's it's 'grey' but after several years of using only bm for trim I've yet to be pulled up on it's 'greyness' by a customer.

It's only noticeable if you're painting it next to a particularly 'white' white.

I think scuff x is durable ie it can take knocks but at the end of the day it was designed for walls and the like and as such has little stain resistance. Hence why I won't be using it on my own kitchen.

mistcoat and Tomcio like this.
  13. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

I agree it's difficult to mark with a nail, but so is everything else I've tested on my test board (everal 40, Pu satin, wrx, teknos) the same pressure I need to apply to mark any of them will mark all of them, hence my earlier comments of that it fails with what everything else fails with :dunno:on a side note the wrx is super tough probably the best I tested - but the application and finish is terrible and it crazed like mad when I sprayed it so I definitely won't use that again

Yeah I've never been pulled on it either and up against some colour you would be hard pressed to notice any difference, up against greys though (which is probably 75% what we all use these days) it does look washed out. To my eye I really don't like it and unfortunately I have it in my house so I have to stare at it a fair bit :biggrin:

Tomcio and crj like this.