1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staircase spraying

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by lone furrow, Jun 22, 2014.

1. lone furrow

lone furrow Angel of the East

Just thought I would post this up as I have had a bit of a run on these this year, four sets so far. One I hand painted and the other three were sprayed two of which were done with the customers around and about.

This set were 2x Classidur universal primer extrem and 3x Bedec aqua gloss. The xtreme sprays lovely not one tip blockage:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The carpet here was to be replaced when i finished, so I cut an inch away around the the edges. One tip, packexe the floor out then cover it with drop cloths otherwise the packexe turns to a skating rink with the overspray.

2. G-Dec

G-Dec PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks great, so the classidur sat on the varnished surface ok with no bleed through? Fancy an alternative to ZIN BIN!

3. Frosty

Frosty PPS Master Craftsman

Nice job.
    HVLP or airless?

4. teldec

teldec PPS Tradesman

nice job i think the acorns on the newel posts would look better in white as well imo

5. pd67

pd67 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Classy job

6. lone furrow

Yes it did G-Dec, I did an adhesion and bleed through test on an end spindle four weeks before commencement of the work. I brushed classidur onto three different levels of sanding off as well as straight on to an unsanded area just to see. The result was that even on to the unsanded varnish four weeks later it was very hard to pick off and on the other areas it was stuck solid with no bleed through. So yes in this situation I would definitely use it again. So far untested on any other kind of stain.

Here it is sprayed again on an internal door that was a dark mahogany like the front door next to it, This has had two light horizontal sweeps and one vertical sweep then one sweep of Jonno's woodworks opaque white which does spray well,

[​IMG]

All these were done with my little corded truecoat pro plus which of course is airless, if i need anything larger i'll hire it, I just cant justify the expense of buying for the kind of work I do.

The acorns teldec in this case were left more for a case of substance over style as the customer has a bit of bling and a habit as a lot of people do of putting their hands on them as they go up and down. Incidentally this staircase had three acorns underneath the upstairs newel posts pointing downwards and they did look right changed to white :thumbsup:

Eress and Waynetta like this.
  7. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice work.
    What setup are you using on the truecoat pro? is it the fine finish or do you have the convertor gizmo?

How much time did you save spraying?

8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

The Primer Extrem is a fantastic product and your another one proving it. Looks a great finish too :thumbsup:

9. lone furrow

Hi Bob, i'm using the truecoat pro 2 electric,not the fine finish model, I run it of a standard 110v transformer with a 14M extension lead. In the past I always used it for wood trims and doors in rental tidy ups or properties where the customers were away, but I got myself organized to use it when customers are around on site. The staircase in the picture I used 311 and 315 tips, I use the 1.4ltr bottle/cup and I don't use an optimizor. That staircase had around 70 spindles 8 newels plus the skirtings and base rails and I could comfortably do two coats in a day including going back to sand out any drips.

Compared to brush painting there is a lot of extra time initially and some extra expense involved with covering up to avoid over spray although if you use the smaller fan tips and get your angles right you can
    really minimize any wastage of paint.

Overall it would take me around 2 hours to spray that whole lot as you have to move fast, and I dont expect i'm the quickest around. I find the most annoying thing is when you spray a larger panel perfect and then you get a spit in it and there's nothing you can do about it except wait for it to dry and do it all over again.

The biggest hurdle I find when using it in an occupied house is keeping the customer on side as the HSL becomes a no go area during the day.

But for all that great tool for your domestic decorator, great finish for w/b
    paints and this afternoon I did a 12x 12 room, the door one side, skirtings and dado in just over three minutes. Was a rental mind:winky::biggrin:

Sorry for rambling on but I hope that helps :thumbsup:

paintech and PJD like this.
  10. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks fantastic mate ,do you use it just for trim or can you use it for walls ceilings or not really suited for that

11. lone furrow

I owe it all to you misty and your review of primer xtreme:notworthy:

Yes it was a good finish, it had to be for this very very particular customer, who spent the evening before payment checking it over. The whole staircase took around 95 hours with a 75/25 split in favour of prep.

I even perfected caulking the spindle into the base rail with a gun in each hand...............two guns furrow they call me know:cowboy:

12. lone furrow

Just for trims mate because the paint cup only holds1.5 litres so refilling would become tedious and would slow you down.

13. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Might look into one of them ,how do ya find overspray,was thinking just for wb

14. lone furrow

Yes you do get a little over spray with spindles as some paint will drift through the gaps between. But you can take measures to greatly reduce this. On bigger panels like doors etc the over spray is negligable.

Like you w/b only too chicken to run Bin through it.

15. mistcoat

Just sharing the love, LF :thumbsup:
    I've been using Zinsser Coverstain again for a bit and I do prefer the Primer Extrem over the coverstain. Even adding a touch of water to thin the Extrem out doesn't affect it at all.

16. MrHarriDec

MrHarriDec PPS Master Craftsman

Which is handy because it'll pull your bloody arms off if you don't thin it a bit :yes:
    [hr]
    Lovely job by the way Mr Furrow.

17. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

18. mistcoat

You are certainly not wrong there, Mr.H.

19. G-Dec

G-Dec PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You been using it on Varnish too Mistcoat?

I'll have to get some of this gear!

20. mistcoat